Notices

Thread: Getting preachy...

1. Getting preachy... 
    I know it might sound preachy, but if anyone reading this knows someone who is just getting their bike out after a winter's break, please remind them to take it easy for a couple of weeks. When you haven't ridden for a while, you lose your skills. It takes a while to adjust. Imagine if you hadn't driven your car for 5 months, it would take a while to feel comfortable with it again. This time of year is when there is a spate of bike accidents, along with the inevitable fatalities and serious injuries. I hate to hear of any accidents, but it's particularly frustrating at this time of year. Have a word with them, before it's too late.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

2. Re: Getting preachy... 
    Diamond Member
    Not preachy mate just sound advice. I went on my first ride of the year with WB's a week last Sunday and rode with extra caution. On a few occasions I felt the back end twitching on the greasy roads when exiting the corners. I was in control (I think so) but a reminder of how slippery the roads are and how rusty I was after a lengthy lay-off. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

By the way are you available for Sunday sermons? ;D

3. Re: Getting preachy... 
    Great advice [smiley=thumbsup.gif] even after being off the bike for 4 weeks I felt like that.

4. Re: Getting preachy... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    I know it might sound preachy, but if anyone reading this knows someone who is just getting their bike out after a winter's break, please remind them to take it easy for a couple of weeks. When you haven't ridden for a while, you lose your skills. It takes a while to adjust. Imagine if you hadn't driven your car for 5 months, it would take a while to feel comfortable with it again. This time of year is when there is a spate of bike accidents, along with the inevitable fatalities and serious injuries. I hate to hear of any accidents, but it's particularly frustrating at this time of year. Have a word with them, before it's too late.
    Well said Mark [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

5. Re: Getting preachy... 
    Platinum Member
    Had my first ride again today after six months off. Suddenly very aware of how fast bikes go after half a year in my van.

Did the sensible thing and took it easy for the above reason, but also it was the first outing for the bike after a lot of work on it.

Been an accident statistic already, once is enough!
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

6. Re: Getting preachy... 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irene
    Great advice [smiley=thumbsup.gif] even after being off the bike for 4 weeks I felt like that.
    Really? I didn't notice it! ;D

7. Re: Getting preachy... 
    Too true!!

Dragged the Sv out of hiding yesterday... had forgotten how different it is to ride compared with the GS...
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Getting preachy... 
    Agreed Mark, since I stopped riding in all kinds of muck I normally take a while to adjust to the bike before opening it up and riding like a tw@t too , it needs time to adjust normally about 10 mins I think until the bikes warmed up ;D Just kidding, after my off I rode all the way to Salisbury rigid and uncomfy every time a car came near me . Referring to your other gripes about PP filtering, who the hell rides like a tool while they can still taste toothpaste first thing in the morning , I'd be too busy using the fresh air to wake me up

9. Re: Getting preachy... 
    I always have a bit of wobble off the driveway even when I've only stopped riding for a week...I hate to think how bad I'd be if I stopped riding over winter ;D

Will be sure to mention it to anyone who mentions getting their bike out again!
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...