Notices

Thread: Bikes for a restricted liscense?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    From experience/knowledge.. what would everyone say some of the best bikes are for a restricted liscense?

My dad isn't too keen on the idea of restricting a bigger bike so I guess it would have to be one that's already at the requirement or a little less. I would love a Ninja 250 but it's got to be an affordable bike within 1-2k give or take a few hundred.. which for me is difficult to find one that will look good, be quick(im not looking to be speeding everywhere but I also don't want to be doing 10-20mph more than I do on my 125) and it's got to be bearable for the 2 year restriction..

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears

2. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    you actualy could find a ninja 250 for around the 1-2k mark i was looking before. but as for much else im not sure for that price without restricting anything that would be nice. i am also looking myself but will be restricting :P

3. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    iv been recomended the sv650 alot, try and swey his idea a little if not find a 250 sm 4t

4. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    thundercat is a good bike. cheap to buy. even cheaper to insure. and looks sporty as well. its a 600 but runs good restricted. i had one for my first bike when i was 17 and it was great. still hit 100ish when restricted.

5. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    I had the CB1 400 for 2 years when I passed my test and loved it

6. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumSM
    From experience/knowledge.. what would everyone say some of the best bikes are for a restricted liscense?

My dad isn't too keen on the idea of restricting a bigger bike so I guess it would have to be one that's already at the requirement or a little less. I would love a Ninja 250 but it's got to be an affordable bike within 1-2k give or take a few hundred.. which for me is difficult to find one that will look good, be quick(im not looking to be speeding everywhere but I also don't want to be doing 10-20mph more than I do on my 125) and it's got to be bearable for the 2 year restriction..

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears
    Suzuki Goose?
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...1t:429,r:3,s:0
    Quite tidy?

There is a power-to-wieght restriction too!

Motorcycles
    Description Category Minimum age
    Mopeds with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc and a maximum design speed not exceeding 50km/h P 16
    Light motorcycles with a cubic capacity not exceeding 125cc and a power output not exceeding 11kW (14.6bhp) A1 17
    Motorcycles up to 25kW(33bhp) and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg. Motorcycle combination with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg A 17

The Honda CBR400 NC23 Triarm & NC29's make a stunning restricted bike! All the handling you could ever want...

7. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Diamond Member
    If you fancy a sportsbike when you get unrestricted, then you could get an RS125.

Fantastic bikes, will teach you how to handle a sportsbike, without the fear that you have the power to throw you off. If you get a de-restricted one, it will do 110mph and they handle very well. Get a slightly older one, but try and make sure it hasn't been thrashed by some ejut!

8. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    I'm interested in knowing this too.

I'm itching for more power, but don't want to go the route of getting a large bike and restricting it - I'd rather buy something smaller like a 250cc that's <33bhp from the off.

Only I don't have a big budget either and I don't know what bikes are available that small - I've seen a Honda something-or-other and a Ninja, anything else I should look out for?

I am however happy to go for an older bike - the current one is 25 years young so anything up to that doesn't phase me ;D
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

9. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    maybe the best option you could go for is an offroad style bike or supermoto??

10. Re: Bikes for a restricted liscense? 
    Diamond Member
    The advantage of restricting a bigger bike, is that you don't have to then sell it to get a bigger bike when your restriction comes off...

If you were buying something new, you might want it to last you 3 or 4 years so it's worth thinking about doing it, rather than your restriction coming off and and then still feel underpowered...