Notices

Thread: Bike Safe

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Bike Safe 
    Platinum Member
    Dear Mitch9128

As discussed on the phone Colin Reeves, from Wiltshire Council looks after the bookings for the Bikesafe events and we've just agreed next years (2011) dates as follows;

17th. April, 15th. May, 12th. June, 3rd. July, 7th. August, 4th.
    September.

Colin can be contacted on 07770 695792 or 01793 466399.

So anybody done it, got comments etc etc?

2. Re: Bike Safe 
    Platinum Member
    I did it in 2005.
    Definitely worth doing if you haven't been before.
    The police guys are really nice and not judgmental at all.
    I know we all like to buy nice bikes and gear which is good, but we definitely need to invest in the rider also.
    Don't leave it too late to sign up as it's gets full especially over the summer months.

Usually the ROSPA and IAM guys are there as well and usually the IAM offer a £15 cashback voucher if you sign up there and then on the day. (ROSPA is £25 including a £13 book so they can't make it any cheaper).

I am glad they are continuing with this as I thought it might be a victim of public sector cuts this time.
    So that's another reason for doing it this year. It may well not be around for ever or at least may not be FREE forever - was that the magic word

3. Re: Bike Safe 
    Diamond Member
    I did do it ages ago and I still remember what they told me and how to ride, to be honest I could do with going again to boost my Knowledge

4. Re: Bike Safe 
    Platinum Member
    These dates were only confirmed yesterday, a Sgt over at Swindon sent them over to me. I've rang and got my name down, will get on the first available, god knows i need it

5. Re: Bike Safe 
    I've done it twice, well worth doing!
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

6. Re: Bike Safe 
    Diamond Member
    Just put my name down as well for the 17th Apr. Had a great chat with the lady there - Margaret. Nice to see some valuable training available, free of charge

7. Re: Bike Safe 
    i did it earlier this year, the thought of being followed by a police officer is daungting, but they are there to inform you about what they think you need to fix with your riding, when i went they told me to do a sholder check going into higher speed limits, incase your being overtaken, but most of the day is spent in a classroom being instructed on how to take corners properly, and where the safest position on the road is to sit.

However i thought it was worth going to, and i even signed up to the IAM skills for life course after going on the bikesafe. =)

8. Re: Bike Safe 
    Platinum Member
    To those that have done it, is it advisable to have a 'fully' legal bike for the day?

9. Re: Bike Safe 
    yes your bike need to be taxed, MOT'd and have a legal amount of rubber.

10. Re: Bike Safe 
    Platinum Member
    Cheers Rob, they're obvious, i was more concerned with plate size, stamps on exhausts, baffles etc