Notices

Thread: Bird Stirke!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Bird Stirke! 
    Platinum Member
    Not me, a guy on one of the Aprilia forums. Thought I'd post it up here as a reminder to watch out for pheasants which at this time of year are busy searching for mates and avoiding being shot at.

This was a male, about 1kg, closing speed of 80mph(ish). Most of it's by the roadside, some when through the screen and hit him in the chest, some more is lodged in the air box.

www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

2. Re: Bird Stirke! 
    Platinum Member
    Grubs up!

3. Re: Bird Stirke! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bornagain
    Grubs up!
    ;D

4. Re: Bird Stirke! 
    Platinum Member
    Havent had a pheasant yet but had to duck quite sharpish for a pigeon today!

5. Re: Bird Stirke! 
    Ouch! that won't be cheap... :'(

I've had a few bird strikes over the years - first was a sparrow that emulsified itself over the fairing of my Genesis, I had a pigeon hit the left indicator on an EXUP and broke it > and a few years ago I had a pigeon hit the carbon knuckles on my left glove at around 120 - fortunately it missed the fairing as it would have made a mess of that, I was unhurt but the left side of my leathers and bike were covered in pigeon purée so I had to stop at the next pub and clean it all off : Would you believe that a few miles further on another sodding pigeon hit my shoulder, fortunately bouncing off without exploding - I figured that on that night near Leicester about 6 years ago there was some kind of pigeon jihad going on... :
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

6. Re: Bird Stirke! 
    Platinum Member
    Had one hit me in the face last March - riding along approx 60-ish and notice a cock pheasant skitting around near the road, I slowed down and he ran back into the hedge... I got back on the throttle again & as I rode past the first thing I knew was getting smashed in the face by 5lb of gamebird! Broke my visor off so I had to turn around to get it, the pic ensured my insurance paid out for a new lid...

Had compression marks all along the chinpiece, was only glad I had my visor down so I didnt get it on the nose etc??!

Cock pheasants are notoriously stupid this time of year as they are looking to mate (have you ever seen a hen pheasant as roadkill?) so best beware, eh...

7. Re: Bird Stirke! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    Had one hit me in the face last March - riding along approx 60-ish and notice a cock pheasant skitting around near the road, I slowed down and he ran back into the hedge... I got back on the throttle again & as I rode past the first thing I knew was getting smashed in the face by 5lb of gamebird! Broke my visor off so I had to turn around to get it, the pic ensured my insurance paid out for a new lid...

Had compression marks all along the chinpiece, was only glad I had my visor down so I didnt get it on the nose etc??!

Cock pheasants are notoriously stupid this time of year as they are looking to mate (have you ever seen a hen pheasant as roadkill?) so best beware, eh...
    OUCH!!!!!

8. Re: Bird Stirke! 
    Cock pheasants are notoriously stupid this time of year as they are looking to mate

Says it all really doesn't it hahaha....... males (no matter what species) never think with anything but their bits hehehe.....I know, I know....go ahead, hurl the abuse ...I can take it hehehehe

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

9. Re: Bird Stirke! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tina
    Cock pheasants are notoriously stupid this time of year as they are looking to mate

Says it all really doesn't it hahaha....... males (no matter what species) never think with anything but their bits hehehe.....I know, I know....go ahead, hurl the abuse ...I can take it hehehehe

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Tis the truth! Poisoned by their own dirty water... ;D

10. Re: Bird Stirke! 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    pigeon jihad

I've heard about this....