Notices

Thread: Halfords Chain Wax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Halfords Chain Wax 
    Diamond Member
    Thanks to Jaydee for this top recommendation!

Spent an hour last night with the parrafin & WD40, cleaning all the crap off my rear end and making my chain shiny(ish).

I bought some of the above, sprayed it on and have been out to the gym & back this morning and not a drop on my rear wheel!!! Much better than the silkolene stuff I was using.

Must admit, I would have been a bit dubious about buying halfords own brand chain wax, but if it's good enough for Jaydee and his Gixxer, it's good enough for me. I was getting so fed up of cleaning it, lubing up, then it spraying off everywhere on the first ride out!

2. Re: Halfords Chain Wax 
    Good shout, I need to get some more so I will give it a go.

3. Re: Halfords Chain Wax 
    Platinum Member
    Good timeing was going to as what wax people used, seems I no longer need to, have to go up to halfords anyways so will pick some up while I'm there

4. Re: Halfords Chain Wax 
    Diamond Member
    It's this one:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165705

It's got 5 star reviews as well...

5. Re: Halfords Chain Wax 
    Platinum Member
    Get a Scottoiler, 30k+ out of your chain, well worth the money.

6. Re: Halfords Chain Wax 
    Diamond Member
    Scotoilers don't do anything that I can't do with a spanner. Biggest waste of money going!

Regular chain maintenance & lubing will do just as good a job and far cheaper. I know some people are die hard fans so opinion is mixed. But I'd rather just look after my chain than get lazy. Trouble with leaving it all down to the scotoiler, is you then run the risk of missing other problems that you'd find while adjusting & lubing your chain by hand.

But each to their own and if it works for you, then it's all good

7. Re: Halfords Chain Wax 
    Platinum Member
    It's nothing to do with being lazy, i can get 30k on a scottoiler and 12k without, that's not lazy, it's just commen sense. Spend £6 on a can of gunk monthly and a new chain and sprockets every 12k, or £80 on a scottoiler that you fill with chainsaw oil, and get 30k on C&S. I used to do 50k a year on bikes, now i'm down to 15. It doesn't do as good a job at all, scottoiler is constantly applying lube, not after every ride, and where did i say i don't maintain my bike? Seriously, stop listening to other people, and form an opinion of your own, just once.

8. Re: Halfords Chain Wax 
    Your spanner can lubricate your chain??? **** me, even Snap-Ons can't manage that, where did you get yours from then?

Bit of a change of tune isn't it? One minute you're asking us which way round you have to sit on the bike, the next you're dispensing wisdom like a 30-year veteran.... : : : ;D ;D ;D
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

9. Re: Halfords Chain Wax 
    Diamond Member
    I don't think taking advice from people who have tried it with, and without, and seen no difference is 'just listening to other people'.

£80 is a waste of money for a gimmicky product. But like I said, if it works for you, then great. Personally, I've never had to replace a chain or sprockets in 12 years of motorcycling, and I've never used a scottoiler. So I'm speaking from my own experience. Applying lube after cleaning and riding has worked fine, and I've put in a lot more than 30,000 miles in the last 12 years.

It's a wonderful placebo.... It worked on you

10. Re: Halfords Chain Wax 
    Platinum Member
    "I don't think taking advice from people who have tried it with, and without, and seen no difference is 'just listening to other people'."

Isn't it? What is it then?

Sure there are fans and detractors, the fans are those that do more than 30k in one year i guess. BTW i have tried both, over many bikes, and many years, and scottoiler wins hands down.