Notices

Thread: New Number plate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. New Number plate 
    Platinum Member
    I want to get a new number plate with a 'lil slogan on it and maybe a tad smaller... just wondering if anyone would recommend a place to get one done and what a "safe" size is if i do get a smaller than standard
    Geo

2. Re: New Number plate 
    Seriously not worth paying for a 'smaller' plate......if you get caught with it on the bike you risk a fine and possibly points too....never worth it....

3. Re: New Number plate 
    Quote Originally Posted by NoYou
    I want to get a new number plate with a 'lil slogan on it and maybe a tad smaller... just wondering if anyone would recommend a place to get one done and what a "safe" size is if i do get a smaller than standard
    Geo
    Take my advice George, if you get pulled for the number plate (which is highly likely), they'll nick you for anything else they can find. Do whatever else you want, i.e. dark visor, noisey exhaust, etc, but don't change the plate. The law is generally not interested in dark visors or loud pipes, until they've pulled you for the plate... :-/
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

4. Re: New Number plate 
    Platinum Member
    Or, Google 'show plates', on yer head be it

5. Re: New Number plate 
    On the counter in Hayballs today was an example of the smallest legal number plate, as you live in Salisbury why not pop in and check it out.

6. Re: New Number plate 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YMFB
    On the counter in Hayballs today was an example of the smallest legal number plate, as you live in Salisbury why not pop in and check it out.
    ahh nice one was going to head up there anyways need to get a few things might pop up tomorrow :]
    Also people have jumped to the conclusion that I wanted an illegal plate xD I probably should have worded the origional post better.
    Number plate legality is based on lettering size/spacing not actual plate size, I believe you can get down to about 7"*6" and still have a legal plate however you are likely to be pulled just so they can check! I was asking what size is safe in terms of being unlikely to be pulled so they can check,
    I'm not fussed about having a tiny plate but the standard size sail on atm just looks ghastly and has some damage on it, hence wanting to replace it as I want a new plate anyway I thought I may as well shrink it a bit while I'm at it.
    Geo

7. Re: New Number plate 
    Banned
    [quote author=YMFB link=1306178277/4#4 date=1306183711]On the counter in Hayballs today was an example of the smallest legal number plate, as you live in Salisbury why not pop in and check it out.
    ahh nice one was going to head up there anyways need to get a few things might pop up tomorrow :]
    Also people have jumped to the conclusion that I wanted an illegal plate xD I probably should have worded the origional post better.
    Number plate legality is based on lettering size/spacing not actual plate size, I believe you can get down to about 7"*6" and still have a legal plate however you are likely to be pulled just so they can check! I was asking what size is safe in terms of being unlikely to be pulled so they can check,
    I'm not fussed about having a tiny plate but the standard size sail on atm just looks ghastly and has some damage on it, hence wanting to replace it as I want a new plate anyway I thought I may as well shrink it a bit while I'm at it.
    Geo[/quote]

If you go over could you let us know what the overall size is on that, I'm using an 8x5 as std hangs over the indys with the hugger, but I'd go bigger to save the agro

8. Re: New Number plate 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njl
    [quote author=NoYou link=1306178277/5#5 date=1306183954][quote author=YMFB link=1306178277/4#4 date=1306183711]On the counter in Hayballs today was an example of the smallest legal number plate, as you live in Salisbury why not pop in and check it out.
    Geo[/quote]

If you go over could you let us know what the overall size is on that, I'm using an 8x5 as std hangs over the indys with the hugger, but I'd go bigger to save the agro[/quote]

Yea sure, I'm doing some temp work just down the road so I will probably go in on my lunch break

9. Re: New Number plate 
    [quote author=njl link=1306178277/6#6 date=1306185593][quote author=NoYou link=1306178277/5#5 date=1306183954][quote author=YMFB link=1306178277/4#4 date=1306183711]On the counter in Hayballs today was an example of the smallest legal number plate, as you live in Salisbury why not pop in and check it out.
    Geo[/quote]

If you go over could you let us know what the overall size is on that, I'm using an 8x5 as std hangs over the indys with the hugger, but I'd go bigger to save the agro[/quote]

Yea sure, I'm doing some temp work just down the road so I will probably go in on my lunch break [/quote]

LOL....rumour has it that there is a certain person that carries a little ruler in his car especially for those 'is it legal, is it not' moments and has been known to use it....and as Mark said earlier if that doesnt get you 'they' will find something that does.... some people enjoy the power and really do enforce it..hehe....good luck

10. Re: New Number plate 
    Platinum Member
    Also just to add that a number plate must have the makers name, address,postcode and a BS AU marking to make it fully legal