Notices

Thread: Biker back up but not yet running

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Biker back up but not yet running 
    Hi All,

Some time ago a post was made refering to an accident on the A36 at the junction with Branch Road, Hinton Chaterhouse.
    http://www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk/cgi...=1295601182/13

I was the rider involved in this incident and, as a result, suffered serious injuries including a fractured pelvis, dislocated and broken shoulder, multiple wrist and forearm fractures, several broken ribs and lung bruising.
    Over the last few months, and 3 operations later, I am still off work but continuing to make a good, albeit slow, recovery. The addition of 3 metal plates and a plethora of screws, two of which are around 4" long, is taking me some time to adjust to.

However, my main reason for posting today is to share with you the outcome of the Police prosecution against the other party, a young female, that was finalised yesterday at Bath Magistrates Court.
    The charge of Driving without due care and attention was accepted with a guilty plea from the defendant and, after much deliberation, the bench passed sentence with a 6 month disqualification, plus fines, costs and fees totalling £225.

Although this has little effect on easing the pain and suffering I have and will still endure for some considerable time, along with the heartache and worry of my family and friends, I feel that it does say much to other road users that the phrase "I didn't see him", as was given in my situation, is not acceptable and that the Police, the Courts and the law in general are taking motorcycling incidents seriously.
    'Think Bike' it's not just a catchy phrase.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those that wished me a speedy recovery all those weeks ago and say that should I still be able to ride again, and have the courage to do so once my abilities allow, I hope to see some of you on Wiltshire Bikers ride-outs.

Wishing you all safe journeys where ever you may go,
    Allun

2. Re: Biker back up but not yet running 
    Platinum Member
    Cool, keep on mending! A mate of mine had very similar injuries last Autumn after some old biddy in a Micra pulled out in front of her and just stopped in the road, sending her and her bike flying over the bonnet. Only a 50mph crash, but it did serious damage to her.

She has an interesting selection of titanium parts holding her together now. She's walking fine and has actually been back at work since December (24y/o, so fast healing at that age), but isn't back on a bike yet.

Sentence seems a bit lame, but as you say, they are at least doing something and are starting to take things like this seriously now.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

3. Re: Biker back up but not yet running 
    Glad to hear you on the mend. Thoughts are with you.

4. Re: Biker back up but not yet running 
    Hi Allun. Welcome to the forum - thanks for joining and letting us know how you're doing.

You're obviously a lot more forgiving than me - the driver seems to have gotten off very lightly compared to you.

5. Re: Biker back up but not yet running 
    Nice to know that you are on the mend. I must say that £225 and a few points is nothing to what you have been through. However, as you say, at least the police took it seriously and didn't put it down to another "biker-so-he-must-have-been-going-too-fast" type of case.
    Wish you well for the future. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

6. Re: Biker back up but not yet running 
    Platinum Member
    Welcome and best wishes for the recovery mate! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

7. Re: Biker back up but not yet running 
    Good to hear you are on the mend, albeit slowly. Also good to hear the driver has at least a little inconvenience - although nothing to what you are having to put up with and have to forever. I've had some close calls myself but with luck have survived so far - although the deer I hit one time didn't ;D.

When you are mobile again - on two, three or four wheels - come along to our meets, you will be made most welcome. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

8. Re: Biker back up but not yet running 
    Diamond Member
    Pleased to hear you are on the mend and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

9. Re: Biker back up but not yet running 
    Platinum Member
    Thanks for the update Allun and glad you are on the road to recovery. It doesnt seem fair that the driver wasnt given a heftier fine/ban >

10. Re: Biker back up but not yet running 
    good to hear you are mending, thanks for updating us