Notices

Thread: Hi-vis jackets

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Hi-vis jackets 
    Platinum Member
    What do people think about France trying to bring a law in about the compulsory wearing of high vis jackets?

This has been law in southern Ireland for a year now but they have not been enforcing it, they are hoping people will just start wearing them if not they plan to start enforcing the law in two years time.

I know the French motorcycle lobby have started protesting about this.

My view on this as a rider who these days commutes with high vis gear is it has not made any difference at all to my safety, I sill come across the same amount of driver apathy. I only wear a Hi-vis in case I have an accident so it goes in my favour in case of an insurance claim.

Another thing that concerns me if everyone starts wearing Hi-vis people will switch off to them and people who are genuinely doing dangerous tasks will be ignored.

Also the other thing to think about is if it becomes law in a few countries how long before it becomes a Europe wide as a law?

2. Re: Hi-vis jackets 
    Tend to agree about people switching off the Viz warning. The amount of people now wearing hi-viz is increasing on what seems like a daily basis. Traffic wardens, lorry drivers, milk men, and the list goes on. Ive often thought that if it carries on increasing at the rate it is, we will start switching off and not noticing the difference. Glad i'm not alone.
    On a side note, have you noticed the amount of cars that are now installing running lights? The same can happen there. At present a single headlight on a bike coming down the road is obvious. If all cars started running in daylight hours with lights on....would people stop noticing us?
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

3. Re: Hi-vis jackets 
    I sometimes commute on my bike and normally wear a hi vis jacket. The other week it began to ming a bit and needed cleaning so I wore a plain blue jacket for a couple of days. What I found was in my hi vis most drivers tended to see me and move over to let me pass. In my blue jacket I suddenly became invisible even on a big red bike with headlight on. Go figure

4. Re: Hi-vis jackets 
    Platinum Member
    I tend to find I get seen better in hi-viz (orange long-sleeve slip-on jacket) mainly because peoples subconscious tells them if they DID smack someone off their bright red bike with headlight & sidelights on, & the rider was also dayglo orange - the "I didnt see you" excuse would make them look Rather Stupid...

Wet weather, bad visibility, town & city riding & even out on my own regardless - the overjacket goes on.

Hi viz does and always will - get noticed, hence the name...

What more could we do to make ourselves noticed???

5. Re: Hi-vis jackets 
    Platinum Member
    If I was regularly riding in traffic in poor visibility I'd want one, I've seen how the Missus vanishes into the background in her black kit on a black bike. I don't want yet another bit of kit to cram myself into, but I have no objections to wearing leathers with Hi-Vis and reflective strips on. I'd actually prefer that to plain black.
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

6. Re: Hi-vis jackets 
    Diamond Member
    I have a HiViz cheapo thing for if the weather is really bad, but tend to switch the Aux Lights on the GS which are really effective being in a "triangle". Tends to get me noticed and then there's the 139 decibel horns if they don't see me with those on

7. Re: Hi-vis jackets 
    seems to be the same issue as daytime running lights on cars - it's removing the uniqueness from bikes - anything more commonplace will eventually become 'normal' for people's reactions and peripheral vision.

I'd totally agree about making it compulsory after dark mind you
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

8. Re: Hi-vis jackets 
    Platinum Member
    I had a short conversation with a bloke and his young son in Fowlers not so long ago:

The son was deeply reluctant to wear his hi-viz & kicking up a fuss - I approached them both and said "Sonny - may not be the coolest thing to wear but its a better look than being in a ditch!"

He hesitated, made the choice, half-smiled & put it on his back...

Black bike, black leathers - VERY hard to see, no matter how bright your headlight is! Hi-viz will pick you out from filtering cars (how many cars are hi-viz?? ) and are in effect another pair of headlights! May not rock up like Marlon Brando but as long as it keeps me and my plastics off the floor then Not Bothered... Take it off the other end and stick it in your bumbag / under your seat!

9. Re: Hi-vis jackets 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooj
    If I was regularly riding in traffic in poor visibility I'd want one, I've seen how the Missus vanishes into the background in her black kit on a black bike. I don't want yet another bit of kit to cram myself into, but I have no objections to wearing leathers with Hi-Vis and reflective strips on. I'd actually prefer that to plain black.
    Does this mean Toph's new leathers will become the new black??
    Now THAT offends me! ;D

10. Re: Hi-vis jackets 
    Seems a pointless piece of legislation to me. Hi viz works some times, but not others. Headlight are more visible to me. As riders we need to be aware that we are difficult to see and other road users need to be more aware of motorcycles.

I personally don't always wear hi-viz. For commuting I have a hi-viz rucksack and the top box has reflective strips on it. I'f i'm using the cub for more that a short ride I'll use a sash, but aside from that I may or may not.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"