Notices

Thread: Are R1 Yams any good ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    Hi, I have just sold my Gixer Thou and I am looking for a suitble replacement.

Ideally I was looking for another GSXR 1000 as I have always got on well with them and they seem to hold their value well, But I am finding it hard to get something suitable.

A friend of a friend has offered me an R1 on 2006 that looks like a good buy but I have never owned one or know much about them.
    How do they rate? Is there anything I should be aware of?
    I am confident about checking a bike over but do not want to end up buying a bike that later turns out to be the model that everyone avoids.

All help would be most welcome.

2. Re: Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    Platinum Member
    Friend of mine just bought a 06 r6 ,looks a bit small for him but no problembs so far not sure about the r1 ,heard it's a bit of an animal

3. Re: Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    Why did you sell the Gixxer thou? Which model was it?

4. Re: Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    Hi Dex, I had a k7 on a 2007 I sold it as I had a really good offer on the bike, I actually got more than I gave for it!
    Also I wanted to try something different as my past sport bikes have always been gixers.
    Thought a R1 sounded a good bet, also had a idea to look at the KTM RC8.

5. Re: Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    I've had two and also had a k3 GSXR for 6 weeks; I preferred the R1s

6. Re: Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    Never got on with my old K7 it was too painful for long legs and forced you into the tank , god only knows how tall blokes survive with their squishy bits being forced onto that tank

Aren't most sports 1000's pretty much the same give or take a different riding position unless you go for the 2010 R1 with the big bang engine in it ?

See if you can get a test ride on a newer model before you make your mind up Tipper, I never test rode my GSXR1000 after having a blade for years and wish I did, never made the same mistake twice when buying the SP3 . Its a lot of money to part with on something you might not get on with, see if you can borrow one for a good 2 or 3 hours for a proper run out get some 'ride out' style miles out of it .

Lis'

7. Re: Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    Mines Mental a reet good hoot,last bike was a zx7r,no comparison i didnt test ride it ,cant stop smiling when im on it

8. Re: Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    Hi, I have tried the blade 1000 RR on a 2006. I found it no where near as brutal as the gixer, in fact it all seemed rather "modest" for a litre sports bike, the gixer runs away with you but the blade needs to be pushed.
    However the blade was very confident and easier to judge in the bends.
    I am tempted by the R1 but I probably need to fix up a test ride to check it suits I have been told they are suited to tall riders and I am only about 5 6".

I probably would like to go for the R1 just to experience something different.

9. Re: Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    I'll be selling a 05 plate R1 soon if the deal with your mate falls through.
    Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

10. Re: Are R1 Yams any good ?? 
    Tipper,

at that height you should be suited to most sports bikes, they just don't suit us gangly sorts really, 5ft11 and I cannot get on with modern mini moto sized 1000cc sports bikes, they're shrinking I swear, and here's me thinking it was only sweets that did that since my childhood... how wrong I was !!!! ;D