Notices

Thread: DSA dictate what to wear on test

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Platinum Member
    I don't think the expense should come into it.
    We don't bring up an expense argument against helmets or seatbelts.

I do feel for those just starting out on pocket money. I had a moped when I was 16, but we don't exempt them from helmet or seatbelt rules on grounds of cost, so it's not a valid line of argument.

For a lot of gear, 2nd hand is cheaper although I would never recommend buying a 2nd hand helmet.

2. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    I'm not condoning people who ride in inadequate kit. As I stated, I refuse to train anyone who turns up in inadequate kit. I don't ride in inadequate kit myself. I have had my tumbles on diesel spills, and thank Mr Richa that his kit did the job. What I don't want though, is any more laws. And what I don't want is a workshy examiner finding excuses to turn people away.

Anyway, how many people here ride in an open face helmet? Have you thought of the consequences of all that exposed skin? Devils advocate again...
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

3. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Able
    I'm not condoning people who ride in inadequate kit. As I stated, I refuse to train anyone who turns up in inadequate kit. I don't ride in inadequate kit myself. I have had my tumbles on diesel spills, and thank Mr Richa that his kit did the job. What I don't want though, is any more laws. And what I don't want is a workshy examiner finding excuses to turn people away.

Anyway, how many people here ride in an open face helmet? Have you thought of the consequences of all that exposed skin? Devils advocate again...
    +1 Back-off Nanny State

4. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Those silly enough not to wear good protective kit are, in my eyes, asking for trouble. It sends a shiver down my spine when I see people in shorts and t shirts on bikes knowing that if they do come off there is nothing to stop the tarmac just grating away the layers of flesh, bone and muscle.

For the first time since passing my test, I wore a pair of normal jeans (stupid idea) on the short ride to le mans circuit from the hotel last year, yes it did feel cool and 'free' but I would never do it again. I felt very vunerable and very aware that if I did come off my jeans were going to provide me with no protection whatsoever plus when I hit a bumble bee and it exploded on my knee IT REALLY HURT!!! ;D

I like the comfort and reassurance of the leathers/textiles, the gloves, boots and of course the good quality lid.

It's designed to help protect from serious injury as much as it can do and/or try and save people's lives if they do unfortunatley come off so it must be worth it?!

I understand people have the right to choose whether they want to wear it or not but it's the only thing between you and the road, no metal cage with airbags for protection on a bike so why not kit yourself up.

The other thing that really winds me up is seeing guys/gals on bikes, fully kitted up with the leathers, boots, lid, gloves and then you look at the pillion (wife/GF/partner etc) and they have a lid on and maybe if they are lucky a jacket and gloves. They sit up there with jeans on, trainers/shoes and a normal jacket, usually with their arse hanging out and their spine exposed ...WTF is going on there??
    That screams to me saying 'I care about my own skin and body but I don't care enough about the person on the back...I'm alright jack'. I would never let someone get on the back of the Ars6 without the full kit on, that's just ridiculous. They don't have kit = they don't pillion.

Talan is right, he is living proof that it's needed. Wear it because it may just save your life one day.

Roxy x

5. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Platinum Member