Notices

Thread: DSA dictate what to wear on test

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Platinum Member
    Pinched this from the fazer owners site Maybe Mark can fill us in on the proposals

"We recived the following e-mail from the DSA at work on Friday, and there is a copy on their website. Could this be the start of legislation to dictate what you must wear when riding a motorcycle???

"DSA is reminding learner motorcyclists to wear suitable clothing when they take their module one and two motorcycle tests.
    While most motorcycle trainers encourage their pupils to wear the best protective motorcycle gear that they can afford, some candidates aren’t following this advice.
    DSA doesn’t want to restrict candidates to wearing the most expensive protective motorcycle clothing. However, DSA’s examiners won’t ignore or condone riding a motorcycle or scooter while wearing unsuitable clothing.
    Tests won’t go ahead if you are inappropriately dressedFrom 1 July, examiners might tell you that your test won’t go ahead if you arrive inappropriately dressed. However, where possible, examiners will give you the chance to find suitable clothing within the time available.
    DSA won’t pay out-of-pocket expenses if your test is cancelled because of inappropriate clothing.
    Guide to suitable clothingAs a general guide the following is an indication of the minimum level of clothing acceptable:
    •motorcycle boots
    •sturdy footwear or boots that provide support and ankle protection
    •textile or leather motorcycle trousers
    •heavy denim trousers
    •heavy denim jacket with several layers underneath
    •textile or leather motorcycle jacket
    •motorcycle gloves
    The following are examples of clothing that are not acceptable:
    •lightweight training shoes
    •canvas basket ball trainers
    •any form of clothing with areas of exposed skin
    •shell suit or lightweight tracksuit
    •distressed ripped jeans
    •lightweight fleece or hoody
    •no gloves or skiing gloves
    In all cases it’s a legal requirement that riders wear an approved and correctly fastened motorcycle helmet,* with suitable eye protection (*an exception is made for members of the Sikh religion wearing a turban).
    Cases of inappropriate clothingRecently there have been cases where candidates have arrived unsuitably dressed for the practical test. This has included wearing lightweight nylon shell suits, lightweight canvas training shoes, or wearing no gloves.
    One of these cases resulted in the test not going ahead.
    More advice and guidanceClothing is one of the subjects covered in element A of compulsory basic training (CBT).
    Further advice and guidance for candidates on the right clothing to wear can be found"

2. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Diamond Member
    That all sounds quite reasonable to be fair.

Lost count of how many times I've seen moped riders going round in shorts & flipflops in the hot weather...

3. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed_Fly
    That all sounds quite reasonable to be fair.

Lost count of how many times I've seen moped riders going round in shorts & flipflops in the hot weather...
    Thats their choice, we are already enough of a nanny state without people telling me what I can and cant wear when I go to the shops. I know it wil hurt if I come off in shorts and a t-shirt, but its MY DAMN CHOICE!

4. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Sounds reasonable to me, play the game to take the test. It makes me cringe when I see people without gloves or in T shirt & shorts.

When I saw the grazing on my leathers after I had slid down the road through no fault of my own, I was really glad I'd had the full kit on. I can still leave fingerprints! 8-)

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

5. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Bit like driving with your hands at 10 to 2 on your car test.
    Wear reasonable kit for the bike tests then its your choice, your life your body. You'd only regret not wearing reasonable kit if you fail to stay shiny side up.

6. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    The test is all about making sure people achive a safe standard of riding and a full understanding of good practice.

This should include wearing suitable and safe clothing, while taking a test.
    We have to show good practice when riding during test conditions. Why should suitable clothing not be a part of it?

Also the examiner should have a duty of care while the rider is under his control to make sure they are safe.

Lastly outside of test conditions people DO have the right to were what they want no matter how daft it might be !!

7. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Tests i can understand them dictating what to wear.

But apparently in France and Ireland there is talk of Hi-Viz jackets being made law... :-[

8. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noisy_lightning
    [quote author=Squashed_Fly link=1309193622/1#1 date=1309196038]That all sounds quite reasonable to be fair.

Thats their choice, we are already enough of a nanny state without people telling me what I can and cant wear when I go to the shops. I know it wil hurt if I come off in shorts and a t-shirt, but its MY DAMN CHOICE![/quote]

Could not agree more - in a free democracy we should be allowed to wear what we bl***y like. If the government is so concerned about the wellbeing of its citizens it should take immediate action to prevent the thousands of pensioners from dying from cold related illness every winter. :'( We are an easy target - sick and tired of this anti-biking hidden agenda. >

Rant over

9. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor911
    Tests i can understand them dictating what to wear.

But apparently in France and Ireland there is talk of Hi-Viz jackets being made law... :-[
    Yes and the French bikers have been protesting in their own unique way ;D ;D ;D

10. Re: DSA dictate what to wear on test 
    Yep, it's all true. Obviously I think anyone riding a bike should wear the suitable clothing. But I have two issues.

1. At the moment we all have freedom of choice as to what we wear when riding, with the exception of the helmet. As much as I hate to see anyone riding in the wrong sort of gear, it's their choice. Educate, not legislate. This could be the tip of the iceberg, where it becomes law that you have to wear motorcycle gear. When I first started riding as a poor teenager, I didn't have (couldn't afford) the proper gear, so wore whatever did the job reasonably well. We have enough laws putting folks off getting on a bike. We don't need anymore.

2. There will be certain examiner's who will take the new rules to the extreme, and bar some from taking their test, maybe because the boot doesn't quite cover enough ankle.

I'm sure there will be scope for legal action. If the law doesn't dictate motorcycle clothing, how can the DSA?

Just from my own point of view, I won't train anyone who doesn't take clothing seriously. I've sent people home who have turned up in hoodies and shorts. I've even had a lady turn up in skirt and stilletoes... :
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk