Notices

Thread: Scotland Trip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Scotland Trip 
    Hi all planning on doing a tour up to scotland via wales soon with girlfriend as pillion
    and wantted some advice or tips ?
    painiers hard or soft ?
    Free camping ?
    anything? I've planed 2 diffrent routes so far but nothing is defo yet.

ROUTE 1 Trip to Scotland

Monday-Day1- Here to N Wales Snowdon- (6/7hours 234 miles)
    Tuesday-Day2-N Wales to Kilwinning(6/7hours 310miles)
    WednesdayDay3-Kilwinning to Castel Leaven ferry to Hunters Quay (£4 each run every 20 mins) then to fort William.(3/4hours 140miles)
    Thursday-Day4- Fort William to Loch ness/Inverness (1 /2hours 77 miles)
    Friday-Day5-Loch ness to home(9/10hours (564miles)
    fuel cost £150ish

ROUTE 2

Monday-day1-Here to Snowdon via 7th bridge-(4/5hours 191miles)
    Tuesday-day2-N Wales to kilwinning 6/7 hours 313miles)
    Wednesday-day3- kilwinning to Isle of skye via Maliag ferry £18(6hours 247miles)
    Thursday-Day4-Isle of skye to lochness via inverness(3/4hours 156 miles)
    Friday-Day5-Loch ness to home(9/10hours (564miles)

Any info or tips would be great as its my first long ride/tour

Thank You

2. Re: Scotland Trip 
    Platinum Member
    My tip would be ride less miles in one day. maybe just Scotland or Wales. You will have a sore backside and be very tired when you finish. Do less and enjoy more if that makes sense.

As for luggage that is a personal choice. I use hard luggage as it is waterproof so you do not have to pack everything in bin bags if it rains. On the down side it costs more but I find it quicker to pack and easier to manage. I'm sure other riders on here will point out good things with soft luggage like it costs less and as it is flexible so you can fit more kit in.

Good luck with your trip, maybe do a warm up trip one weekend first.

Can't help with the free camp-sites

3. Re: Scotland Trip 
    Diamond Member
    Have a few practices at putting all your kit on, taking it off and riding with it all on.

4. Re: Scotland Trip 
    Hard luggage every time Wi77y. It doesn't mark your bodywork, or move around, and is generally a lot more waterproof.

Really envy you. Would love to do scotland by bike. If you're going to Fort William, turn left and take the Road to the Isles. It's fabulous, and takes you past the Glenfinnan monument.

I'm with FJ though, less miles per day. I'm happy up to about 250 miles, but not much more. :-?
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk

5. Re: Scotland Trip 
    hard luggage, waterproof and secure. Definitely try loading/packing. get a 3 man not a 2 man tent. dont bother with cooking gear just two mugs. Just my opinion after only three camping trips

6. Re: Scotland Trip 
    We did a tour round the coast to Land's End and back over a week last year (our honeymoon!!) ok, I was still pillion then,(yep the final straw for me to get my backside into gear and learn to ride myself!) but even the relatively small mileage per day (ranged from 50 - 150 miles per day,) was enough. Sore backside, stiff legs, ok for one or two days, but after that, gets abit tough going, especially if the weather's not brilliant. We used hard panniers, which were pretty good, even through a hail storm going into Cornwall, they didn't let much water in. But also, we did the B&B thing rather than camping so didn't need to take much luggage. There are some really good camping shops that sell "minimal" equipment, for people trying to travel light, some of the smaller tents fold away to nothing, and a little one-hob burner can be a lifesaver for making a cuppa or heating some beans... you'd be amazed what you can get away with if you need to!! We're doing the same trip again, the other way round (south coast first this time) in September, and will be on two bikes this time, so really know where you're coming from! Good luck, it should be amazing!!! (ps, if you go up the A470 in Wales, beware THE hill.....)

7. Re: Scotland Trip 
    ps, the first port of call for buying stuff... ebay..!!

8. Re: Scotland Trip 
    Get good sleep mats we bought Vango self inflating ones and there great. Cotswold have a range and a box of rocks to try the mats on.

9. Re: Scotland Trip 
    Hi thanks for the tips guys

Only thing not sure how cut down miles because most of the miles is spent driving up to Scotland and back and plus planned to stay at Wales to half the journey on way up to help but will have look at Route 3.

I'll try get some hard panniers

Yea was planning on loading up bike soon and go riding just to feel what its like.
    Thanks mark left at fort William is noted...Told you I’d go hehe

YMFB you say 3 man tent - I’ve got 4 man tent here but was thinking its to heavy or big but I've seen 3 man tents just as big as my 4 hmmmm.. so is 3 man tent smaller e.g. packed on the bike. and vango mat looks good and not to pricey thanks.
    Thanks sue I was looking for one them camping stoves things they look cool and so small e bay tis

10. Re: Scotland Trip 
    Platinum Member
    To fit the panniers mate you will need a fitting kit specific for your bike IE Givi wingrack system

But watch it as they can be quite expensive