Notices

Thread: Advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Advice 
    Diamond Member
    I'm toying with the idea, of selling the Ninja (hoping to get about £2,200 - does that seem reasonable?) and using the money to buy a cheaper roadbike, a trackbike, and cheap car.

I used to have a Nissan Primera, and it was solid and I've seen some ok examples going for around the £500-600 mark, which would in theory leave me about £1500 to get a seperate road & track bike (or an off roader for winter, then sell that in summer for a track bike?)

That in mind, can anyone give some good ideas about what sort of bikes would be good to look for within that budget?

I was thinking an older SRAD for the road, or even seeing if I can a road, and a track version so I've got spares. Would I be able to do that realistically within my budget?

If my promotion at work comes off in the next month, then I may well get a company car so I'd have an even better budget (possibly a road, track & off roader?!)

2. Re: Advice 
    You'll be hard pushed to find a roadbike and a trackbike for £1500 I'd imagine - bearing in mind a trackbike needs to be pushed to its limits, and a road bike needs to pass its MOT

as an example, my off roader was £690 - a bargain until you add on the £400 I've spent on it getting it to a state where it can be used offroad properly
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

3. Re: Advice 
    Diamond Member
    I've seen track 400's going for around the £500 mark, but I don't know how good they are.

I'm sure Basil & Star's 400's were cheap ones. I would only need something like that to start

4. Re: Advice 
    ahh but Basil's bike had about 3 weeks of colin working on it ... complete strip and rebuild

5. Re: Advice 
    Platinum Member
    Imho for that kind of money you're not going to get anything decent, bare in mind you need insurance too for the car and road bike, I think it would cause you more problems than anything else.
    If it were me I would just wait until I could get each individualy it may take longer but you won't end up with 3 bikes and a car sat on your driveway that all need money thrown at them to get them working!
    Save your pennies up and buy each individualy, if you get a promotion I imagin you will be on more money? So it will take less time and you will end up with bikes and cars that you actualy want instead of just having bikes and cars you've squeezed out of a budget.
    Good luck on the promotion btw!
    Geo

6. Re: Advice 
    Diamond Member
    Yeah, you might be right.

Insurance not an issue as I'm covered by the work fleet policy whether I use my own own car or get a company one. I would rather my own policy to build the no claims, but I do have that as an option.

I'm just looking at ideas at the moment - was hoping some of the seasoned 'trackies' might be able to offer some pearls of wisdom. If it was a case of waiting for the bike I want, then I'd be saving a long time for an MV Augusta so anything less is a compromise between cost, likeability & quality.

7. Re: Advice 
    Platinum Member
    You don't necessarily have to get your dream bike just somthing that you didn't buy just because it was dirt cheap I've seen a few trackday r6s going for not that much recently on ebay/gumtree they're probably not in your budget at the moment but give it a few months of being a tight bastard and you'll have a decent track bike that'll last you AND your kwaka.
    After thought: If you have the garage space/time/desire/mechanical confidence you could always buy a slightly neglected bike with a few problems and have a go at fixing it, you'd have to be careful not to but somthing that needs a whole new engine or somthing or it could end up costing more than a shiny working one. Even if it took you 6 months you'd have somthing to occupy you and work towards. Also if you find you need a replacment part and can't afford it at the time you can always put it on hold, personaly I would love to do somthing like that but don't have a garage to do it in!
    Just a thought

8. Re: Advice 
    Although not an exact comparison, I used to have a track car. Originally a £500 "bargain", it took a further £800 before it was able to cope with proper track use (bearing in mind it's no fun going round a track and not being able to attack the apex, etc) and then annual maintenance was a nightmare and very expensive.

Have you thought about using a road bike and race fairings for the track? If I decide to do more trackdays I'll simply buy race fairings for the 675 (which is already a track bike out the box) and then have 1 bike for road and track.

9. Re: Advice 
    Diamond Member
    that's not a bad idea Dabz. Could wait until next summer, and get some track spares for my bike and a trailer. There's nothing wrong with it in all fairness

10. Re: Advice 
    Hi, I have a GSXR 750 with alot of MOT and tax on it,
    recently fitted with a pair of sticky Diablo tyres and a top quality chain and sproket.
    I have had it 2-3 years never given any trouble, a nice clean bike.
    I do not use it much now I have the R1.
    I was thinking about selling it for around £1500 ono if that helps PM me.