Notices

Thread: Buying a Bike (hopefully)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    Hi there,

been missing form the forum for a bit but thought you might be just the folks to ask....

am buying (hopefully) a bike soon but wondering what questions to ask the dealer? don't wanna sound like a newbie (i am but who wants to sound like it!! lol)

2. Re: Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    Platinum Member
    They'll probably give you more information about the bikes if your honest , trying to look like you know more than you do could make you look like a bit of a time waster, best thing to do is take someone who knows what to look for or you could end up with a shed load of trouble

3. Re: Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    You need to research the bike you are looking at and find any know faults, recalls etc.

As smelly says, don't be a tyre kicker, just be informed, the dealer will tell you the rest.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smellygerm
    They'll probably give you more information about the bikes if your honest , trying to look like you know more than you do could make you look like a bit of a time waster, best thing to do is take someone who knows what to look for or you could end up with a shed load of trouble
    +1

Take somebody knowledgeable along & they should be able to see any major issues for sure...

5. Re: Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    Platinum Member
    What type of bike you looking for? Are you looking for a new/ used? What budget do you have in mind? Where are you looking to buy a bike from?

Don't feel pressured when you go in - if they start talking ****, too technical or down - walk away speak to someone else.

Sit on the bikes - make them work and hold it up so you can get feet on pegs etc to ensure its comfortable.

Go with someone that knows they type of bike rather than someone that thinks they know everything. Don't forget your buying for you not your mates so listen but don't hang on their opinion!

Don't be afraid to ask questions - they're are no stupid questions if you don't know the answer!

Enjoy the buying experiance and get a coffee out of the sales person!

6. Re: Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    Quote Originally Posted by 470four
    [quote author=smellygerm link=1310594006/1#1 date=1310623042]They'll probably give you more information about the bikes if your honest , trying to look like you know more than you do could make you look like a bit of a time waster, best thing to do is take someone who knows what to look for or you could end up with a shed load of trouble
    +1

Take somebody knowledgeable along & they should be able to see any major issues for sure...
    [/quote]

Better not ask for help here then LOL ;D

7. Re: Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    dont do what i did....took my drz400 to dealers for repairs and out of bordem take a gsxr750 out for a ride....it went like stink so i bought it ;D

8. Re: Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    I never worry about sounding like a newbie - use it to your advantage

I spend hours researching the bike I want its faults etc and then go in the dealers as if I havent got a clue - you soon get to spot who are the honest ones then

9. Re: Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_Macd
    Hi there,

been missing form the forum for a bit but thought you might be just the folks to ask....

am buying (hopefully) a bike soon but wondering what questions to ask the dealer? don't wanna sound like a newbie (i am but who wants to sound like it!! lol)

Also depends on which dealer you are talking too. Some I would trust others walk away from.
    I spend as much time looking at the paperwork as I do at the bike.

10. Re: Buying a Bike (hopefully) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb
    [quote author=Cat_Macd link=1310594006/0#0 date=1310594006]Hi there,

Also depends on which dealer you are talking too. Some I would trust others walk away from.
    I spend as much time looking at the paperwork as I do at the bike.[/quote]

Agreed. Go to a recommended dealer.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"