Notices

Thread: Major mile munching

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Major mile munching 
    Apart from the end to end madness earlier in the year where 3 of us did the 820 miles in 17 hours

My previous short time/long distance by bike was a 36hr/1300 mile run from the Algarve, Portugal to Caen via Madrid

Left home after 10 am yesterday, Buckingham (midday), Edinburgh (6pm), Bristol (3am). Collect 7am, Leeds(midday), Salisbury(6pm)

32hrs/1400 miles
    http://g.co/maps/87u2h

What do you think could realistically be done?

I'm fancying a lands end to john o'groats and back over 36 hrs. 1600+ miles.

Anyone up for having a go in the summer?

2. Re: Major mile munching 
    Platinum Member
    Not with petrol prices as they are!
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

3. Re: Major mile munching 
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade
    Apart from the end to end madness earlier in the year where 3 of us did the 820 miles in 17 hours

My previous short time/long distance by bike was a 36hr/1300 mile run from the Algarve, Portugal to Caen via Madrid

Left home after 10 am yesterday, Buckingham (midday), Edinburgh (6pm), Bristol (3am). Collect 7am, Leeds(midday), Salisbury(6pm)

32hrs/1400 miles
    http://g.co/maps/87u2h

What do you think could realistically be done?

I'm fancying a lands end to john o'groats and back over 36 hrs. 1600+ miles.

1600 miles could get you to the Balkan Peninsula or the Arctic Circle (for example) - wouldn't that be a great target for 36 hours?

At least then at the end of it you could have a few days in a very different place, then maybe come back in a few steps as a mini-tour?

Never been to John O'Groats, but can't imagine hours on the UK network is worth all that. I do understand the end-to-end in a day for charity or for your own personal bucket list.

At least see something on the way.

Most i've done is 900miles in a day (plus 1 1/2hours on the ferry), but 1600 miles in 36hr does sound good if it gets me somewhere interesting.

4. Re: Major mile munching 
    On a courier site it's looking like they're up for a southernish heading trip, as far as you can get in 24hrs with the target down into italy. Starting from Calais.

I put in £197.28 of petrol over Thurs and Fri :'(

5. Re: Major mile munching 
    Platinum Member
    Years ago when I used to holiday on the bike in Europe I have done a few 600 plus miles in one day when coming home.

Good luck with your run in the summer.

Years ago when I had a bit more spare cash and time on my hands I thought about the Iron butt run http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Butt_Association

6. Re: Major mile munching 
    Diamond Member
    How about a non-motorway Dawn till dusk ride one way from Lands End to John O' Groats? I think it is possible, but would be a real challenge. If it was to be achieved it would require precision planning with a small number of bikes and would have to happen within a 4 week window of opportunity either side of the longest day at the end of June. This is something I’ve always wanted to attempt and hopefully it would attract sponsorship for a worthy charity. What about next year? From my point of view the 36 hours return journey is too tight to allow for a good night’s sleep (at my age I need me kip to stay focused lol). Anyway, what do you think?

7. Re: Major mile munching 
    Presumably the end to end 17 hours was using the motorway network..? Off motorway - it's gonna take more than double that time...

Doesn't seem likely that it can be done dawn to dusk...

8. Re: Major mile munching 
    Quote Originally Posted by monday21
    How about a non-motorway Dawn till dusk ride one way from Lands End to John O' Groats? I think it is possible, but would be a real challenge. If it was to be achieved it would require precision planning with a small number of bikes and would have to happen within a 4 week window of opportunity either side of the longest day at the end of June. This is something I’ve always wanted to attempt and hopefully it would attract sponsorship for a worthy charity. What about next year? From my point of view the 36 hours return journey is too tight to allow for a good night’s sleep (at my age I need me kip to stay focused lol). Anyway, what do you think?
    Probably not possible (shame as it is a great idea), if you consider Exeter to Bristol - on the motorway that takes an hour-ish, on the A38, due to villages (30), 50-zones etc the quickest it can be done is about 2 hours and that is stretching the limits considerably.

9. Re: Major mile munching 
    It was done on motorways. Raised a lump of cash for charities including the Wilts air ambulance.

It rained, lots and then some more. 75% of the journey it really did come down. Spent 90 mins in Bristol trying to get the internet connection working so an on the road blog could be loaded to the site and it wasn't happening so we gave it up as a bad job.

An hour in gretna services as the torrential rain meant we couldn't see much and the motorway had turned into a river so took an unplanned meal break while it passed.

if the weather had been the reasonably expected dry summer and technology had worked as all tested the day before we'd have probably been in JOG by 8pm

Can't see it being done dawn to dusk off the motorway. A highly unlikely average of 50mph with no stops would see you running out of light.

3 of us did the trip this year, next year I would like to get more going. Just for the hell of it really and it'll get a couple of pennies into worthy charities while we're out on a jolly.

It's going to turn into a holiday for a few of us. I'm planning to do the arranged trip into Germany and spend the night then head off to prague the next day, just for the day probably and then possibly go down to Munich and a few days in Austria and italy before making my way back north via Switzerland and France.

It'll most likely change when the time comes but see how weather and money is at the time

10. Re: Major mile munching 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmalade

Yep, ME!!!!!