Notices

Thread: High Insurance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. High Insurance 
    After speaking to a few friends of mine, I appear to be paying a huge amount on my insurance.

I have been riding 1 year, currently aged 20 with a Thundercat restricted to 33bhp. I am 21 in April and going to take Direct access test then to get full licence sorted.

I'm paying £66 a month at the moment, which worked out yearly is a fortune!! With KGM insurance, who I read have lots of terrible reviews on the internet, got it through adrian flux I believe.

I feel like im being ripped off, Its a insurance group 14. I am 20, first year of riding.. but Still seems alot.

Any suggestions to lower? Can I add other riders to lower premium like on car insurance?

It is garaged, adding any security doesn't really change the price. I am on 2k miles a year, SDP only..

ALSO on a side note, with taking the Direct access test, doable without taking lessons again to remind me what I'm doing wrong? Or worth doing a lesson?

2. Re: High Insurance 
    Platinum Member
    Sorry if this is a daft question, but have you shopped around?

3. Re: High Insurance 
    Diamond Member
    compare the meerkat

4. Re: High Insurance 
    Go Compare!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

5. Re: High Insurance 
    Would that be you all seem to agree its expensive?

I have used the comparison sites and they all come up at £650~ lowest. Cant understand why its so expensive, its on third party F&T aswell!!! £1200 for fully comp? :S

6. Re: High Insurance 
    Diamond Member
    In all honesty, £66 a month at 20 doesn't sound like much at all on a thundercat.

I'm almost 30 and I pay about £40 a month on a 600 sports.

7. Re: High Insurance 
    I've done a few more quotes, with TPFT at £800 total excess (compulsory+voluntary). £496 or ~£58p/m.

I've tried cancelling it before but was told that I needed to pay them about £300... The cost of the finance or somthing? I really don't know much about contract law. I expected to pay a small cancellation admin charge of upto £40-50 But I have read crap scam stories about KGM insurance since having problems.

Not happy with my insurer at all.

8. Re: High Insurance 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermancss
    I've done a few more quotes, with TPFT at £800 total excess (compulsory+voluntary). £496 or ~£58p/m.

I've tried cancelling it before but was told that I needed to pay them about £300... The cost of the finance or somthing? I really don't know much about contract law. I expected to pay a small cancellation admin charge of upto £40-50 But I have read crap scam stories about KGM insurance since having problems.

Not happy with my insurer at all.
    The cost of cancellation would have been on the contract you signed upto in the first place. If its on a finance package I can well believe the cost of getting out of it being equal to the balance of what is left to run. I would suggest you go back and read the small print on the original documents in case they are making an error.

Unfortunatley its one of those items you have to pay through the nose for until you have built up a history of no claims, when you have 40% or more no claims bonus and a few years on your license the cost is much more affordable. You are insuring risk and its the way of the world that you sit in a high risk category until you prove otherwise. Its how old geezers like I am pay relatively little for insurance - we had to get through the expensive part as well.

You won't save a great deal on TFT since the high risk is the third party liability aspect which with today's compensation culture and personal injury claims is what you are insuring against. The fact that your bike might be inexpensive to replace is a small cost compared to the 3rd party liability.

To be honest I don't think your quotes are too bad considering your age and inexperience - I have heard a lot worse. Good luck finding the best deal it really is worth shopping around - I still do every year.

9. Re: High Insurance 
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGraeme
    Its how old geezers like I am pay relatively little for insurance - we had to get through the expensive part as well.
    It's even better for us old chicks nearly 40! the R6 renewal came through and I couldn't beat it! Not bad considering I've only been riding 3 years! Being old does have advantages

Roxy x

10. Re: High Insurance 
    It's great you get older, you get cheaper insurance but you can't ride a sports bike because your knees are buggered. ;D

I would say try AQuote but you have probably tried quite a few.