Notices

Thread: Bike maintenance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Bike maintenance 
    Hi all, I am brand new to the world of motorcycling and currently part way through my DAS. I have recently purchased a Fazer 600 on a 55 plate. The bike is in really good condition and has been looked after well by its previous owners.

The question I have is on general maintenance and upkeep of my bike. What are the key things I must do weekly and monthly? As I have an understanding of something’s I must do but would like to know from experienced riders. Also for jobs such as cleaning and oiling/waxing the chain what products are best as every manufacture makes claims that they sell the best product, but in the real world we know that’s not true.

I would be very grateful of any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks

2. Re: Bike maintenance 
    Tyre pressures, theoretically before every ride, but TBH I don't know anyone that actually check's them - worth doing at least once a week though as off pressures can radically affect the bike's handling.

Tyre depth/condition, essential to check the condition of your tyres, there is a small contact patch between you and the ground - make sure it's a good one!

Oil level, check it on a level surface with the bike held upright - let it drop too low and you'll be looking for a new engine.

Chain tension/condition, again, in theory you should check before every ride, but again at least once a week should be fine depending on how many miles you ride.

Horn/indicators/lights/etc., a quick run through daily is well worth it, especially if you ride at night or if the bike is left outside - it's no fun riding home in the dark, on country B roads with no lights

I would say those would be the most important - there's probably something I've missed, but it's still early and I've not quite woken up yet

3. Re: Bike maintenance 
    Platinum Member
    Where-a-bouts are you mate as I used to own an underseat exhaust Fazer 6 along with 2x earlier ones & currently have a 1000

I ask as I have a Yamaha genuine workshop manual for that model that I was gonna stick on ebay But if you want it PM me

4. Re: Bike maintenance 
    Banned
    You should oil your chain every 200 miles

5. Re: Bike maintenance 
    Platinum Member
    Tyre pressures, theoretically before every ride, but TBH I don't know anyone that actually check's them - worth doing at least once a week though as off pressures can radically affect the bike's handling.
    I have some "traffic light" valve caps so at least I can see easily and quickly if there is problem if they aren't being checked every ride.
    You buy them for the correct pressure range and they should stay green, if it does amber or red then you know the pressure has gone down.
    As none of us are perfect at doing this every ride then I think this is a good alternative for a few quid.

This is an example
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE...item335f34351e

I haven't searched on price and that's not a recommendation for that particular seller, just an example of what I mean.

6. Re: Bike maintenance 
    Banned
    I've had my bike since Oct and still haven't gotten around to checking the tyre pressures :-[

7. Re: Bike maintenance 
    THE best bike polish in the world - http://www.meguiars.co.uk/category/201

.....well I think it is anyway.

I've tried loads of different brands over the years and it really is good.

I am a bit obsessive about bike cleaning too

I buy it off of Ebay.

8. Re: Bike maintenance 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    I have some "traffic light" valve caps so at least I can see easily and quickly if there is problem if they aren't being checked every ride.
    You buy them for the correct pressure range and they should stay green, if it does amber or red then you know the pressure has gone down.
    As none of us are perfect at doing this every ride then I think this is a good alternative for a few quid.

This is an example
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE...item335f34351e

I haven't searched on price and that's not a recommendation for that particular seller, just an example of what I mean.
    Thanks for that - I've seen them before and am going to get some now.

Just hope no scum bag nicks them.

9. Re: Bike maintenance 
    Mr Sheen polish, window cleaner spray, "back to black" or shoe polish for the black bits and scottoiler for the chain. Check tyre pressures and tyres at least once a week and check lights before every ride.

10. Re: Bike maintenance 
    Forget to add buy yourself some of this - brilliant stuff.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm