Notices

Thread: What a difference a can can make

1. What a difference a can can make 
    Banned
    I bought an aftermarket can for the Honda.
    First impressions were,
    1 Mmm that sounds nice
    2 Feels like it has more power but probably just sounds like it has.

Now after riding about 500+ hundred miles I have noticed that the engine's a lot more free revving, definitely has more pull but the biggest surprise and one I wasn't expecting is that it's now a lot better on petrol
    I was getting average 50mpg with the standard can but now am getting 58mpg and on a slowish trip down to Bournemouth yesterday I got 62mpg

Bought the can 2nd hand on fleabay for £50, at this rate it will have paid for it's self in no time 8-)

So anyone thinking of buying an aftermarket can do yourself and your bike a favour and get one ASAP

2. Re: What a difference a can can make 
    Diamond Member
    Swanny, found the same results when I fitted a Scorpion to my Fazer thou. Definitely more low down power

3. Re: What a difference a can can make 
    Platinum Member
    Does it pop and bang on the over-run?

4. Re: What a difference a can can make 
    Banned
    Nope

5. Re: What a difference a can can make 
    Platinum Member
    Weight saving is another reason to change them. I swapped the OE boat anchors on my Falco for some carbon fibre slip-on end cans when I got it and shed about 7kg from the bike's weight just by doing that!
    www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk - Protection through innovation

6. Re: What a difference a can can make 
    Just be careful of the insurance - If you have a big accident they use it as a get out of paying clause

7. Re: What a difference a can can make 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SupeRDel
    Just be careful of the insurance - If you have a big accident they use it as a get out of paying clause
    They can (see what i did there) but unlikely an assessor will pick it up.

8. Re: What a difference a can can make 
    Quote Originally Posted by SupeRDel
    I asked this to my insurer (Carole Nash). The line is that the can must be road legal but if it is damaged it will be viewed as a replacement part and replaced with OEM.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: What a difference a can can make 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W
    [quote author=SupeRDel link=1338665669/5#5 date=1338843805]Just be careful of the insurance - If you have a big accident they use it as a get out of paying clause
    I asked this to my insurer (Carole Nash). The line is that the can must be road legal but if it is damaged it will be viewed as a replacement part and replaced with OEM.[/quote]

When I was with Carole Nash they were more interested in the power performance characteristics of the new exhaust rather than what they would replace it with. IIRC it was OK if it added less than 5% bhp in that they did'nt load the premium but you have to declare it as a performance mod either way. I had mine added on to the policy due to the replacement value (5 x cost of the oem) as well as the performance hike. This was included in all the mods done to the bike and they charged me a 10% premium which I thought was fair since it was less than £20 for £3k+ worth of add ons.