Notices

Thread: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    Ive recently passed my A2 bike test and I see that come January 2013 the A2 licence is being scrapped and that from age 24 or over you can ride any size bike.

Does this mean that next January I can de-restrict my bikes? Will my licence change? Will I need to wait the full 2 years? Will I need to take the test again?

Anyone know anything about the proposed changes?

2. Re: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    ? interesting, i'm A2 too, doubt we'll be allowed to 'upgrade' as we passed back when the law was in force....defo watching this with interest as means i won't have to wait till next aug!
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    just had a read not good will have to take another test once my two years is up otherwise i am limited to 33bhp.

"If you already have motorcycle entitlement, it won't change under the new rules. However, if you want to ride bigger bikes, you'll need to follow the rules for new riders below."

"Category A
    Category A covers machines unlimited in size and power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with a power output of more than 15 kW. There are two ways to get this entitlement.

Direct access
    If you don't have two years' experience, you'll have to be aged 24 years or over. You'll also need to pass the theory and practical tests.

Staged access
    You can get this category from age 21 if you have two years' experience on an A2 motorcycle and you take a further practical test"

> piss taking money grabbing bastards > i've already decided which route i was taking which was 2 yrs on A2 to gain experience before a proper bike, not this bull**** where i have to pay £200 again for another test >

4. Re: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    I'm afraid that we're playing the waiting game until the 2 year restriction runs out boys & girls (unless you fancy taking another test of course). The Direct website quotes the following for rules from 19th Jan;

"Direct access

If you don't have two years' experience, you'll have to be aged 24 years or over. You'll also need to pass the theory and practical tests.

Staged access

You can get this category from age 21 if you have two years' experience on an A2 motorcycle and you take a further practical test."

The 2 year restriction stays the same for us and we don't have to take any more tests

5. Re: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    I got told by my examiner there's no change for us Dan, 2 years and we're away with no more tests

6. Re: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    "If you already have motorcycle entitlement, it won't change under the new rules. However, if you want to ride bigger bikes, you'll need to follow the rules for new riders below."

beg to differ Voodoo [smiley=smiley_up.gif] taken from the gov website, if i want to remove my 33bhp restriction then another test is needed

7. Re: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    hmm worth a question to mark able as I was told by the examiner that it only applies if you take your a2 under the new rules :-/

hang on, i'll post one up for him...

8. Re: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    what's reckon to this Dan? came from the direct website as well

"There will be new rules about the moped or motorcycle you use for your test from 19 January 2013. If you are taking your test from that date, you'll need to follow the new rules."

9. Re: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    the way i interpret it is that a new test will need to be taken at the end of my 2 yrs if i want a bigger bike otherwise i will stay restricted. as a side note, if you renew your licence when on A2 (after 2 yrs but no upgrade) i.e change of photo, you will need to redo test anyway? is this a way to stop people taking one test and then riding indefinatly with no further checks on their riding?

10. Re: Changes to the bike test coming in 2013 
    erm not sure, says this,

"The new rules will affect you if you pass your test after this date, or you apply to renew or replace your driving licence."

which could be interpreted as you having the new entitlement category on your new licence