Notices

Thread: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    I am a social worker and I support a person who has Learning Disabilities and would really like to be a biker. He is going to need a lot of training to achieve this and it will be a great challenge for him, shall he ever were to become one.

I was wondering if there are any clubs in Wiltshire that would be happy to offer him an associate membership, a badge or anything that would make him feel like a part of the community? Perhaps there is a club which members could go and visit him from time to time?

The guy is being harassed and bullied by local youths because of his Learning Disabilities and is gradually becoming more isolated and anxious.

Is there anyone who has any ideas or is willing to support the guy? He lives in Devizes.

2. Re: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about the youths, they're arses!
    If he was to join Wiltshire Bikers he would be able to get branded clothing with his forum name on (for a price of course).

His/your best bet is to contact a local a riding school and exlore his options with regards to learning/ training on becoming a biker.

Hope you get some proper help as not much more I can think of
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

3. Re: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    He's more than welcome to join us lot - you don't even need a bike to join the forums and join in the chat and at the meets
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

4. Re: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    A long shot I know but maybe if we have a small group ride out and visit him the yobs harassing him might think twice, who knows it might even make him more popular. I would happily ride out and give it a go. 8-) 8-) 8-)
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

5. Re: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    @Conehead - great idea! Would you seriously be able to do it?

6. Re: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    Quote Originally Posted by Conehead
    A long shot I know but maybe if we have a small group ride out and visit him the yobs harassing him might think twice, who knows it might even make him more popular. I would happily ride out and give it a go. 8-) 8-) 8-)
    Me to I am sur ewe could arrange something along these lines.

7. Re: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    Quote Originally Posted by goz1960
    [quote author=Conehead link=1346439732/3#3 date=1346441335]A long shot I know but maybe if we have a small group ride out and visit him the yobs harassing him might think twice, who knows it might even make him more popular. I would happily ride out and give it a go. 8-) 8-) 8-)
    Me to I am sur ewe could arrange something along these lines.
    [/quote]

What is his location were about in Wiltshire are we talking?

8. Re: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    You can always look in the events and see if there's anything going on that he could attend and meet a few of us, theres a race day at castle coombe tomorrow and theres a WB stand, also he could always order a t shirt with his name and Wiltshire Bikers printed on it, best off speaking to Dabz on that one

9. Re: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    Hi There Muriel,

N.A.B.D is a group designed especially for people with disabilities, (National Association for Bikers with Disabilities) They enable people with physical disabilities to get on bikes, trikes and have their own fund raisers and meets. I know you mentioned learning disabilities but I am sure they would be able to add him in their mailing lists and Im sure he could become a member. They are a massive group and have a very large following. They have a web site too that he could also join.
    I don't know if they do motorcycle training but it would be worth contacting them to find out whats available.

In saying that, I dont want you to think I am re-directing you. As Dabz said he is more than welcome to come along to a meet (Harp and Crown in Gastard, Nr Melksham) if he can get there on a Wednesday night. If we are given a couple of days notice one of us would ensure he isnt left out on his own and would introduce him to a few of the members. A few of us are also CRB checked as we also work in the 'industry' and are aware of the issues faced.

10. Re: Support for a person with Learning Disabilities 
    Muriel.. he would be welcome to join Wiltshire Bikers.

A rideout to meet him sounds like a great Idea.. maybe we could chipin and buy him a polo shirt with the WB logo and his name on.. and present it to him as a fully fledged member of the club. I'm sure a feeling of belonging would improve his self esteem and confidence.

Just throwing an idea into the ring..
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'