Notices

Thread: Lost for words!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Lost for words!!!! 
    Diamond Member
    Some of you on here may recall the tragic accident, which occurred in July 2009 on the A36, four miles Frome side of Warminster. A 79 year old male driver of a Volvo attempted to carry out a U-turn on the stretch of dual carriageway approx a mile from the Standerwick junction opposite The Bell pub. The driver pulled out of the lay-by into the path of five bikers, killing one and seriously injuring another. The pensioner was later convicted of causing death by careless driving.

I remember the horrific crash so well because I was on my way to Dilton Marsh that evening to have my current van sign written.

I’ve shared the above with you as I just can’t get my head around a driving manoeuvre I witnessed today at the exact same lay-by where the biker died that night.

I left the market complex in my van this afternoon following behind a small Landrover towing a large box trailer full of sheep. I was in turn followed by a small Volkswagen. As we all came to a halt at the aforementioned junction, the A36 was clear in both directions and all three vehicles exited at the same time.

After Travelling about three quarters of a mile towards Warminster at approx 40mph, the driver of the Landrover and trailer indicated to make a right turn. As there is no junction or even a track on the right of that stretch of road, I thought, he must have knocked the indicator stalk by mistake.

Not at all – I braked to a standstill and to my disbelief, he did a complete u-turn, overshooting the same lay-by, mounting the verge before completing the manoeuvre and heading off in the direction of Frome. All executed whilst engaged in a conversation on his mobile phone which was held in his right hand.

We all make errors and mistakes from time-to-time – this however, was blatant and total disregard for the safety of anyone else on the road. Doesn’t happen often, but I was lost for words.

2. Re: Lost for words!!!! 
    See stuff like this on a regular basis Ken. Especially the phone thing. Makes my piss boil >
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

3. Re: Lost for words!!!! 
    Platinum Member
    'Knob' is the only word appropriate for this type of individual.

I see this every day - I don't even get upset about it now - it ruins my day if I do.
    However, if I get the chance I do give a series of hand-signals to the person to let them know how I feel about their actions - they usually behave themselves then.

4. Re: Lost for words!!!! 
    Disgusting, They should all be shot for putting peoples lives at risk.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

5. Re: Lost for words!!!! 
    I remember the accident well a terrible incident. There is no excuse for not using a mobile hands free, most phones have a speaker option or use blue tooth, my van is 6 years old and came fitted with a parrot, it finds my phone when i get in and auto answers any call through the radio and only cost £200 fitted. The fine needs to be much bigger and with more points or a ban for using phones or making dangerous manoeuvres. Sadly there are far less plod on the road these days to spot and punish these idiots.

6. Re: Lost for words!!!! 
    world is full of morons
    onwards and upwards and sometimes a little sidewards....

7. Re: Lost for words!!!! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellybambam
    See stuff like this on a regular basis Ken. Especially the phone thing. Makes my piss boil >

I think you should get that looked at Nelly.....hot wee wee is never a good thing hehehe

8. Re: Lost for words!!!! 
    Whilst on the subject, I was following a bloke in a land rover on the A40 Sunday and I could see in his wing mirror he was on a mobile phone, funnily enough we'd just passed a policeman doing speed checks who was more interested in clocking the speed of the bikes rather than even looking at the driver of the land rover!!!
    Didn't dare overtake until he was off the phone !!!

KNOBLET !!!!

9. Re: Lost for words!!!! 
    Have to say some of the driving I have witnessed in recent years have been nothing but shocking. On a personal note I have a granddad who is 86 and personally I think he should have his licence removed, Or at least when people get to that sort of age they should have to take some sort of retest refresher.

10. Re: Lost for words!!!! 
    Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4L1Stroker
    I remember the accident well a terrible incident. There is no excuse for not using a mobile hands free, most phones have a speaker option or use blue tooth, my van is 6 years old and came fitted with a parrot, it finds my phone when i get in and auto answers any call through the radio and only cost £200 fitted. The fine needs to be much bigger and with more points or a ban for using phones or making dangerous manoeuvres. Sadly there are far less plod on the road these days to spot and punish these idiots.
    Does your Parrot talk?