Notices

Thread: loss of confidence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. loss of confidence 
    Has anyone found that they have lost their confidence over the winter in riding, I rode hoggin the bridge in October, which was brilliant, then fell off in the H&C Car park, which was fine as I laughed it off. But cannot seem to get back on the bike, is it just me as I have just passed my test or does everyone get a bout of nerves if they haven't ridden for a while.

2. Re: loss of confidence 
    It's natural when you've left it a while, especially when the weather's so c**p as you can fall into the trap of worrying about all sorts instead of relaxing and enjoying the ride. It might not seem it but the best thing will be to jump straight back on

3. Re: loss of confidence 
    Im with Voodoo. get out of your comfort zone. It will all soon fall into place.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

4. Re: loss of confidence 
    Lou, my lovely, I was only saying tonight, I have a bout of nerves every time I go out......every single time !!
    You've seen me at mcd's shaking like a bloody leaf and chewing my lip cos Im so nervous.......It is perfectly normal hun....especially after a drop...........I guess I got used to the drop thing after 14 of them but you will get past it hun.....honest.
    I dont think I'll ever stop the shaking thing....but to me it means I dont become complacent and think Im better than I actually am
    As so many people have said to me the confidence thing comes with riding...the more you ride the more it grows.

Big hugs hun......YOU WILL GET THERE....I HAVE EVERY FAITH IN YOU XX

5. Re: loss of confidence 
    Lou after my spill back in the summer I had a couple of months off the bike and couldnt wait to get back on it but when the day actually came it was a different matter I was ****ting myself and not in a small way but after an hour or so back in the saddle all was well Crack on Lou !!! 8-) xxx

6. Re: loss of confidence 
    I had this after passing my test and not riding for a while. What I did was to start off with small rides around the block, then add a bit, add a bit until I was happy to ride again.

Winter riding is always a bit hit and miss in my books. There are some days it feels great and other that you think the end is nye.... I tend to endure the latter knowing that an enjoyable one is just round the corner.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

7. Re: loss of confidence 
    Best thing to do over the long dark Winter months is to go off-roading, keeps you bike-fit and co-ordinated, teaches you loads of different skills, builds confidence and gives you heaps of practice picking bikes up (it helps that dirt bikes are nice and light, plus they're difficult to damage unless you wrap it round a tree, in which case you'd be more concerned about yourself...) - Falling off is no big deal and invariably generates a laugh, unlike doing it on the road...

Why not have a go at the off-road try out that peeps are signing up for Lou? :-?
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

8. Re: loss of confidence 
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty
    Best thing to do over the long dark Winter months is to go off-roading,
    Why go off roading..... you can get all the gravel, mud and pot hole on the roads now!!!!

Great suggestion though Scotty. It is good (if muddy) fun.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

9. Re: loss of confidence 
    Unfortunately, this is something no one can help you with, we can tell you that we all get nervous when we have had time off from riding but the only thing that will help you is to get back on. You know how great that feeling is when you're riding along that nice long stretch of road! Or when you get home and think, what a great ride, and you have a huge smile on your face!

The very next nice day we have, we will have a 'girly' rideout!

It's all about the ride!

10. Re: loss of confidence 
    Nerves get to everyone at some point whether it is due to falling off, a prat pulling out in front of you or just the bike not feeling right when you get back on it.

Only you can make you feel better about it. Next year try and get out over the winter as much as possible even if it is just to go into town or a tootle around local roads.