Notices

Thread: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    Just wondered if anyone has reported any damaged road surfaces to the Council recently and whether its got any action?

Like many I'm sure I'm getting a wee bit fed up with what seems to be a lack of maintenance on the roads.

I know the bad weather hasnt helped but I dont see many hard working council road repair crews out and about.

I had my car in the garage a few days ago for some suspension repairs and whilst talking to the mechanic he was telling me how he had a call from the people who administer MOTs to query why his garage, and several others locally seemed to have so many MOT failures for suspension related issues. His reply was a suggestion to take a look at Wiltshire's roads!

2. Re: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    Yup, i do it a all the time. To be fair to the council within 4 days the holes have been fixed. (when i say that, i mean a monkey has been out and stuffed a bucket of tar in the hole)!

All road defects can be reported to Clarence. Once reported they have a duty of repair. I once wrote a letter to the council telling them that because one of the roads in my local area i found i had to ride my motorcycle on the wrong side of the white line. Adding that i thought it was unsafe and may end up in a crash and be horribly injured. They read that as COMPENSATION CLAIM. Within 2 weeks the whole surface had and been stripped and re-laid. I urge everyone to report what you see. Only takes 2 minutes.

"the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

3. Re: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellybambam
    Yup, i do it a all the time. To be fair to the council within 4 days the holes have been fixed. (when i say that, i mean a monkey has been out and stuffed a bucket of tar in the hole)!

All road defects can be reported to Clarence. Once reported they have a duty of repair. I once wrote a letter to the council telling them that because one of the roads in my local area i found i had to ride my motorcycle on the wrong side of the white line. Adding that i thought it was unsafe and may end up in a crash and be horribly injured. They read that as COMPENSATION CLAIM. Within 2 weeks the whole surface had and been stripped and re-laid. I urge everyone to report what you see. Only takes 2 minutes.
    Just reported the A362 Warminster to Frome road past the Longleat roundabout its terrible. It'll be interesting to see what response I get.

Like the letter

I used this - https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parking....htm?type=road

Looks like you can also email - clarence@wiltshire.gov.uk

Maybe if a few more of us take a few minutes to report problems we might get something done?

4. Re: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    That's the problem. People drive/ride over shoddy streets, moan and curse about them, but ultimately do nothing. If everyone reported the defects around their local area, in theory, the roads should be in better condition 8-)
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

5. Re: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    Diamond Member
    Glad the use of CLARENCE is increasing in the biking community

I've used it loads of times and to be fair to my employer ( ;D ) they have reacted quickly. Nelly's absolutely right... too many people are quick to complain but don't actually do anything about reporting the issues. Its not economically viable, plus there would be a public outcry, for there to be hundreds of people and vehicles in use by the council just looking for problems.

6. Re: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    Diamond Member
    Some of you on here may well raise your eyebrows in disapproval with that, ‘here goes Ken on his political rant again,’ : you have to accept however, that under the current government’s severe austerity cuts, upkeep of our roads infrastructure is a long way down the pecking order on the priority list.

Anyway, don’t be surprised if most of the cash earmarked for repairs will be spent on meeting compensation claims.

I do agree with previous posts though, keep reporting, (he/she who shouts the loudest and all that)

7. Re: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    Platinum Member
    you have to accept however, that under the current government’s severe austerity cuts, upkeep of our roads infrastructure is a long way down the pecking order on the priority list.
    I accept and understand there's less money about, but we don't have to agree with the order of the priority list.

8. Re: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    : eyebrows raised and eyes rolling... ;D

9. Re: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista
    you have to accept however, that under the current government’s severe austerity cuts, upkeep of our roads infrastructure is a long way down the pecking order on the priority list.
    I accept and understand there's less money about, but we don't have to agree with the order of the priority list.

You'll never get everybody to agree on any priority list. The simple fact is that the cost of inspecting every public road in the county ever 24 hrs is not economically viable.

10. Re: Reporting damaged road surfaces/pot holes 
    Diamond Member
    I was not advocating an inspection of all public roads, nor was I saying that we should agree with the government’s list of priorities (on the contrary), merely pointing out that transport is currently way down the order.

Reading the Independent today – The next round of cuts will probably hit all ‘unprotected’ budgets such as transport the hardest. Additional savings will need to be made on spending on local roads as we see the government block grant to LAs slashed. Disagreeing with cuts on transport is one thing, but changing the government’s order of priorities is a completely different ‘kettle of fish’

Demo anyone? :