Notices

Thread: Buying Used Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Buying Used Parts 
    For the last 10 years I have run a free used part finder at Bike-Breakers.info

Over the last couple of years the number of users has dropped off a bit, so I'm after some info.

Last time you bought or looked for used parts for your bike how did you go about locating the part?
    Did you use a part search, visit/ring your local breaker, e-bay, somewhere else?
    Any info will be useful - thanks.

2. Re: Buying Used Parts 
    Quote Originally Posted by coyote
    For the last 10 years I have run a free used part finder at Bike-Breakers.info

Over the last couple of years the number of users has dropped off a bit, so I'm after some info.

Last time you bought or looked for used parts for your bike how did you go about locating the part?
    Did you use a part search, visit/ring your local breaker, e-bay, somewhere else?
    Any info will be useful - thanks.
    Never bother going to breakers direct or using third party search companies any more just straight to Ebay.

I nearly always check the main dealer prices and places like Wemoto too as I very often find secondhand bits arent that much cheaper than new dealer supplied parts.

Your part finder may be very good but ones I've used in the past have been rubbish, they just take too long to respond for requests and some just dont bother.

3. Re: Buying Used Parts 
    I always either use ebay, google or direct to ones I know have parts.

"there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

4. Re: Buying Used Parts 
    Diamond Member
    For critical components I only tend to buy new parts which would either be a via a dealer or one of several independant suppliers. For other consumables its a case of internet searching for what I want and going for the best price, sometimes thats Ebay othertimes its a direct site.

5. Re: Buying Used Parts 
    As my bike is becoming a rare classic parts are very hard to come by so I tend to do Internet search or ebay. Dont usually find what I need though or the price is extortionate.

Next time I might get a bike that is easily available.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

6. Re: Buying Used Parts 
    from a trade point of view, we have customers budgets to consider. if they want new and willing to pay its main dealer, normally for used parts we have a list of breakers but generally its ebay, but you need to be suare of fitment. we have had customers buy from ebay only to find it wont fit, as has been mentioned before, we need parts today, if traders/breakers dont respond for days we get angry customers on the phone daily, the worst are spotty teenagers expecting it done today , cheap as possible.

7. Re: Buying Used Parts 
    Quote Originally Posted by Conehead
    As my bike is becoming a rare classic parts are very hard to come by so I tend to do Internet search or ebay. Dont usually find what I need though or the price is extortionate.

Next time I might get a bike that is easily available.
    Try the owners clubs. They usually have a parts horder amonst them. Also try ebay abroard. I've had to use ebay.it for the scooter as parts are like hens teeth in this country. Failing that it's what you can make/modify. Many parts are similar to other models or shared.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

8. Re: Buying Used Parts 
    Im not sure I would use second hand parts on my R6 I suppose it would depend on what part needed replacing.

9. Re: Buying Used Parts 
    Platinum Member
    EBay for me nearly every time for a price check (Ball park price)
    I google it too though - just to see if a dealer has the part I want at a reasonable price.
    If I believe the price is unreasonable - I will not buy until I find one at what I consider a good price for the part.

10. Re: Buying Used Parts 
    Quote Originally Posted by goz1960
    Im not sure I would use second hand parts on my R6 I suppose it would depend on what part needed replacing.
    Don't ever buy a classic Brit bike! ;D ;D ;D

BB
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”