PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

Dazr
06-03-23, 08:16 PM
Insurance question - probably already been asked, it's that time of year again. I am currently with Bikesure who have been great and competitive. This year I did a comparison and Bennetts came up around ?90 cheaper....hmmm

What are peoples thoughts of Bennetts and what are companies that others use.

Thanks

Trev_P
06-03-23, 09:36 PM
Insurance question - probably already been asked, it's that time of year again. I am currently with Bikesure who have been great and competitive. This year I did a comparison and Bennetts came up around ?90 cheaper....hmmm

What are peoples thoughts of Bennetts and what are companies that others use.

Thanks

when i was looking a few years ago i thought both of those was a little expensive tbh, have a look at bemoto, if you mention 44 teeth they give you a discount, at least they used to. i've been with them for 3 years now on their titanium cover

Dazr
06-03-23, 10:05 PM
when i was looking a few years ago i thought both of those was a little expensive tbh, have a look at bemoto, if you mention 44 teeth they give you a discount, at least they used to. i've been with them for 3 years now on their titanium cover

Cheers mate will take a look.

Trev
06-03-23, 10:06 PM
I have three bikes with Bennetts, decent prices and the online set up is easy to sue but I've never had to make a claim so can't comment on who good their actual product is

Dazr
06-03-23, 10:21 PM
I have three bikes with Bennetts, decent prices and the online set up is easy to sue but I've never had to make a claim so can't comment on who good their actual product is

Thanks for the info.

Trev
07-03-23, 10:03 AM

Just re-read that, who the hell is sue and when did who replace how :eek: I really must stop posting from my phone : (

BB
07-03-23, 10:13 PM
Just re-read that, who the hell is sue and when did who replace how :eek: I really must stop posting from my phone : (

Or maybe after a drink? ;)

Burbler
10-03-23, 08:45 PM
I was with Saga for ages with a car then switched to a bike. Fine for several years then the premium went up incredibly
Since then I've changwed every year as whoever was insuring me put up the price for the next year stupidly. Despite me and the bike being a year older and having another years NCB the cost just leapt up.

MCe seems cheap and cheerful

Burbler
10-03-23, 08:49 PM
Finally I was with 'Bikesure' when the Custard Torpedo was vandalised in an attempted theft. They paid out a fair price in short time with no aggro.

Dazr
10-03-23, 09:10 PM
I was with Saga for ages with a car then switched to a bike. Fine for several years then the premium went up incredibly
Since then I've changwed every year as whoever was insuring me put up the price for the next year stupidly. Despite me and the bike being a year older and having another years NCB the cost just leapt up.

Thanks Larry....what fun it is hunting for insurance.

Trev_P
12-03-23, 03:36 PM

MCE always had a bad rep for paying ot a few years ago.
I know its old news but you may want to check this out
https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-stories/mce-insurance-company-limited-enters-administration

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/11/over-100-000-hit-as-motorbike-insurer-mce-falls-into-administrat/

with regard to MCE although I do like the idea of their New pay per mile insurance [Subscribe and Ride] but they dont tell you how much per mile they will charge you and as it goes vi your moble if it aint compatible then eff you mate !

Badger-Roy
12-03-23, 07:26 PM
https://www.fca.org.uk/news/news-stories/mce-insurance-company-limited-enters-administration

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/11/over-100-000-hit-as-motorbike-insurer-mce-falls-into-administrat/

with regard to MCE although I do like the idea of their New pay per mile insurance [Subscribe and Ride] but they dont tell you how much per mile they will charge you and as it goes vi your moble if it aint compatible then eff you mate !
how does that work if your bikes nicked out your garage?

Dazr
12-03-23, 07:48 PM

Hmm - Not sure about that Pay per mile, you kind of do that now when they ask how many you expect to do. Sounds too complicated to me.

Trev_P
12-03-23, 08:04 PM
Hmm - Not sure about that Pay per mile, you kind of do that now when they ask how many you expect to do. Sounds too complicated to me.

you have to have a widget on your bike that records mileage useing GPS and then it sends the data to MCE via your phone and they bill you monthly, so roughly ?90 a year plus mileage charges.
but they say it does not record speed etc.....yeah right oh mate :rolleyes:

Dazr
12-03-23, 08:13 PM
you have to have a widget on your bike that records mileage useing GPS and then it sends the data to MCE via your phone and they bill you monthly, so roughly ?90 a year plus mileage charges.

Agree mate...am sure it only records mileage :rolleyes:

BB
13-03-23, 09:00 AM

Yeah, right!

If you are happy where you are it's always worth asking them what there best price is otherwise you are going elsewhere. Used to ring up Carole Nash each year and the minute you identified yourself the price went down! I suspect if you bother to ring to renew it sets an alarm off for them.

I'm with RH who have just been taken over by another mob so who knows what renewal will be next time round, sigh...

I thought there was talk of them all agreeing that new customers would not get better deals than existing renewals? Or hasn't that happened yet?

BB
13-03-23, 11:16 AM
Strangely, in the post today was the insurance quote from Carole Nash for a single bike of mine I have insured for myself and a friend who occasionally rides it. Last years price was ?76.14, fully comp, this years price (no changes except the usual year older for the us and the bike) is ?131.21! Cough!!. Broker fee is a staggering ?35 - same as last year.

Burbler
13-03-23, 01:56 PM
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. Yv1uHdzVA0E3GhntFruMvQHaH7%26pid%3DApi&f=1&ipt=b47ededa7218a47fa63e17744357e1bc217f2e751391a0 fb9ac3eb9e38a72bd4&ipo=images

Trev_P
13-03-23, 08:32 PM
Strangely, in the post today was the insurance quote from Carole Nash for a single bike of mine I have insured for myself and a friend who occasionally rides it. Last years price was ?76.14, fully comp, this years price (no changes except the usual year older for the us and the bike) is ?131.21! Cough!!. Broker fee is a staggering ?35 - same as last year.

My Insurance has actually gone down, good ol Bemoto :cool:
oh wait..it may be coz i am an old f art :p

Badger-Roy
14-03-23, 09:40 AM
My Insurance has actually gone down, good ol Bemoto :cool:
oh wait..it may be coz i am an old f art :p
Work this one out, the insurance on my car and all my bikes have all gone up by approximately 15% because I was involved in a car accident 18 months ago, I was in no way to blame, for my part the accident was 100% unavoidable, the other driver admitted fault, the claim was made against his insurance company, he was successfully prosecuted for dangerous driving and for causing serious injury by dangerous driving, all my no claims was protected and yet I still end up getting well and truly shafted for the next 6 year by the insurance company's, why? Well apparently because I was involved in 1 car accident I’m more likely to be involved in another, yeah like I enjoyed the event so much I think il go looking for another boy racer who’s just passed his test and thinks it’s ok to overtake at 80mph on a blind bend! We live in a mad world.

Trev_P
14-03-23, 02:58 PM
Work this one out, the insurance on my car and all my bikes have all gone up by approximately 15% because I was involved in a car accident 18 months ago, I was in no way to blame, for my part the accident was 100% unavoidable, the other driver admitted fault, the claim was made against his insurance company, he was successfully prosecuted for dangerous driving and for causing serious injury by dangerous driving, all my no claims was protected and yet I still end up getting well and truly shafted for the next 6 year by the insurance company's, why? Well apparently because I was involved in 1 car accident I?m more likely to be involved in another, yeah like I enjoyed the event so much I think il go looking for another boy racer who?s just passed his test and thinks it?s ok to overtake at 80mph on a blind bend! We live in a mad world.

As mad as a wooden fireplace !

some years ago I had a highly modded Astra VXR with a company that sounds like direct line...... I was over 40 and had a billion years of NCB, after a few years they decided to just put up the premium by 70% but could not tell me why. insurance companies are very much about shafting people, as i always say it is a legalised con job :mad:

Scotty
14-03-23, 06:13 PM
My bike premiums haven't changed much (road and off-road bikes on the same policy through CIA), maybe helped by becoming a proper old git last year (60). My car insurance premium renewal jumped up a heap so I did a comparison on-line and went back to my brokers with the lowest quote and said if you can match it I'll stay, so they did....
Same as Badger Roy, my wife's car was written off by an eejit who drove into it at a crossroads, totally his fault, uncontested claim, no plod involvement (not necessary), yet despite absolutely no culpability on our part (I was driving it at the time), her premiums will be loaded for a while. I don't know how they can statistically justify their assertion that having been clobbered by an idiot, we are MORE likely to get clobbered again in future... Insurance is little more than legalised robbery (mutter, grumble)

Dazr
14-03-23, 07:55 PM
I had the same a few years back, accident where woman clipped the front of my car. She actually got out and said sorry I am wearing flip flops and my foot slipped. So insurance claim against her, then my premium goes up, I ask why and get the same response as Roy - you have been involved in an accident then you are likely to be involved in an accident again.
I said so if someone overtakes me dangerously, then I am more likely to overtake someone dangerously. The response was no thats not what I am saying!

It also affected my bike insurance as well at the time, this was crazy....I asked why does the car incident affect my bike insurance, the reply we have to take it into account. I said I have more NCB on my car can I use that on my bike....you can guess the answer. The reason I always questions quotes...Like you say Roy a mad world.

Kevin
22-02-24, 09:06 PM
Did anyone use Direct Line?
I'm in search of a good insurance company. The prices have jumped, so the price matters more than it used to be. I've already found the contacts of the direct line customer service here (https://www.pissedconsumer.com/company/direct-line-group/customer-service.html) and I'm going to call them for details. But of course, it wuold be great to find out real people's experiences first.

Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger?

Trev
23-02-24, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Kevin;493250]Did anyone use Direct Line?

My wife has used Direct Line for car insurance for years, easy to deal with and only claim she's had was dealt with quickly and, in our opinion, fairly. No experience with bike insurance with them though

Dazr
25-02-24, 04:46 PM
I have just had my renewal quote come through......It was ?363 last year and this years renewal quote is ?537. I am currently with Bennetts, done some quotes this afternoon and Hastings Direct is cheapest so far at ?457. May have to check Direct Line....

Insurance prices have jumped this year for sure.....

Trev_P
26-02-24, 09:58 PM
mine dropped from ?300 to ?270 last year, will have to wait another month to see if it goes up.
BeMoto Titanium cover.

personally i would not give DL the time of day as they upped my premium by 70% on my modded Astra VXR some years ago and could not give me a reason why.

Dazr
27-02-24, 08:02 PM
mine dropped from ?300 to ?270 last year, will have to wait another month to see if it goes up.
BeMoto Titanium cover.

personally i would not give DL the time of day as they upped my premium by 70% on my modded Astra VXR some years ago and could not give me a reason why.

Did a quote with BeMoto Titanium cover - ?698 !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks will avoid DL then.

Trev_P
27-02-24, 08:11 PM
Sh*t the bed !!!
can't wait for my renewal then.

its you young whippersnappers affecting it all lol

I hope you told them that you only wanted to buy insurance and not the company :p

Dazr
27-02-24, 08:21 PM
Sh*t the bed !!!
can't wait for my renewal then.

its you young whippersnappers affecting it all lol

I hope you told them that you only wanted to buy insurance and not the company :p

Yes mate agree crazy prices, will give my current insurer a call to see what they can do. If nothing then may have to go with Hastings Direct as they seem cheapest so far for the same cover.

Trev_P
27-02-24, 08:44 PM
Yes mate agree crazy prices, will give my current insurer a call to see what they can do. If nothing then may have to go with Hastings Direct as they seem cheapest so far for the same cover.

hastings was/is a good company i was insured with them yonks ago.

all these increases is a plan to get us all off the road, once done they will wonder why all the tax revenue stopped as those in charge are not really the sharpest tools in the shed

Dazr
27-02-24, 09:11 PM
hastings was/is a good company i was insured with them yonks ago.

all these increases is a plan to get us all off the road, once done they will wonder why all the tax revenue stopped as those in charge are not really the sharpest tools in the shed

Cheers mate will give Hastings a call this week.

Could be a grand master plan to get us off the roads....good luck with your renewal premium.

Dazr
28-02-24, 01:03 PM
Well quick update the quotes on line were cheaper with less excess, called Bennetts and guess what excess dropped and price dropped from ?537 to ?407... happy with that as the cheapest I could find online was ?452.

It pays to call them up still....

BB
28-02-24, 02:47 PM
Well done.
Always good to ring them up and discuss/haggle if you can, especially when armed with a 'like for like' quote from another company.

Trev_P
28-02-24, 03:38 PM
Well quick update the quotes on line were cheaper with less excess, called Bennetts and guess what excess dropped and price dropped from ?537 to ?407... happy with that as the cheapest I could find online was ?452.

It pays to call them up still....

Well done mate, with those price drops you will be able to buy a new bike... oh wait ! ;)

Dazr
28-02-24, 08:00 PM
Well done mate, with those price drops you will be able to buy a new bike... oh wait ! ;)

Ha ha - its your turn to buy a new bike.....lol

Dazr
28-02-24, 08:01 PM
Well done.
Always good to ring them up and discuss/haggle if you can, especially when armed with a 'like for like' quote from another company.

Still amazes me how they never give you the best quote to start with, also got them to remove auto renewal.

Trev_P
05-03-24, 06:21 PM
Well my Insurance renewal came through and it has gone up......by 76 pence to 274.95 :rolleyes:

BB
05-03-24, 06:32 PM
Well my Insurance renewal came through and it has gone up......by 76 pence to 274.95 :rolleyes:

Good grief, can you afford that much of an increase? ;)

Trev_P
05-03-24, 07:10 PM
Good grief, can you afford that much of an increase? ;)

it will be tight :D

Dazr
05-03-24, 08:44 PM

A new bike on order yet then, that's incredible 76 pence....

Last Train
06-03-24, 12:45 PM

Wow, I hope my insurance only rises in a similar fashion this year :cool:

BB
06-03-24, 04:29 PM

Dream on! :p

Last Train
06-03-24, 05:19 PM
Dream on! :p

:D :D

Dazr
06-03-24, 08:05 PM

You never know it may be cheaper.....:rolleyes:

Trev_P
06-03-24, 09:25 PM

Most people hope that it goes down not up :p

Last Train
07-03-24, 05:27 PM
Most people hope that it goes down not up :p

Haha, that’s very true :eek:

:D

Last Train
07-03-24, 06:45 PM
My car insurance is due in 4 weeks, ?181.45 last time round. Hmmm….

The bikes are ok till August & November. No need to worry about those for a while.

Dazr
08-03-24, 08:11 AM
My car insurance is due in 4 weeks, ?181.45 last time round. Hmmm….

The bikes are ok till August & November. No need to worry about those for a while.

Be interesting to see what they quote, my car insurance is due in May so again interesting. Don't forget the best time get quotes is 21 days prior to the insurance running out.

Trev
08-03-24, 10:49 AM
My Enfield insurance went up nearly 15% in January but as it was only just over a tenner I didn't quibble (which no doubt they rely on), multi bike is due in August so let's see how that goes, 15% on that will see a 'quibble' :(

Trev_P
08-03-24, 04:50 PM
My Car Insurance went up by ?30, just as a check and being of a certain age I got a quote with Saga who wanted an extra ?180. so much for them then :mad:

BB
10-03-24, 04:35 PM
My Car Insurance went up by ?30, just as a check and being of a certain age I got a quote with Saga who wanted an extra ?180. so much for them then :mad:

From what I've read recently SAGA are in a bit of trouble lately, particularly the insurance and travel aspects.

Trev_P
10-03-24, 09:18 PM
From what I've read recently SAGA are in a bit of trouble lately, particularly the insurance and travel aspects.

yeah i heard that to, i think as they have been ramping up their prices over the years they are now unaffordable to us "older" people :p

Last Train
23-03-24, 09:20 AM
My car insurance is due in 4 weeks, ?181.45 last time round. Hmmm?.

Just had a nosey at my renewal,

Rock bottom quote is ?253.27 :eek:
That’s without basics such as windscreen etc. Youch

I haven’t phoned anyone for a mano a mano, but that’s a bit ****

Trev_P
23-03-24, 12:38 PM

That?s without basics such as windscreen etc. Youch

I haven?t phoned anyone for a mano a mano, but that?s a bit ****

Its all a legalised ripoff/con job. but what they gonna do when their cash cows cant afford to drive anymore :mad:

Dazr
23-03-24, 04:08 PM

That’s without basics such as windscreen etc. Youch

I haven’t phoned anyone for a mano a mano, but that’s a bit ****

Be interesting to see what they offer when you phone them, it always make me smile when they say found extra discount we can offer.....like they found the discount code laying on the floor !!!!!

BB
23-03-24, 05:54 PM
Had my car insurance through last week (renewal date 10th April) last year was ?221.28, this year is ?307.67! That's fully comp with windscreen cover, personal accident cover and courtesy car and Motor legal cover.

I'll be checking a comparison site or two this week.

Last Train
24-03-24, 08:47 AM
Email from my present insurers, Swinton, yesterday…

‘Good news! We'll automatically renew your policy’

They want another ?100 :eek: That’ll be ?283.06 :rolleyes:

Sorry Swinton, but you won’t be automatically doing anything of the sort :D:D

Dazr
24-03-24, 08:01 PM
Email from my present insurers, Swinton, yesterday…

‘Good news! We'll automatically renew your policy’

They want another ?100 :eek: That’ll be ?283.06 :rolleyes:

Sorry Swinton, but you won’t be automatically doing anything of the sort :D:D

Ha ha - When I renewed mine I said remove the automatic renewal please.....