PDA

View Full Version : oops & ouch

BB
16-10-21, 11:33 AM
Ok, I'm seriously bored and well fed up.

I've been hopping/moping about on crutches with a knee brace since last Sunday, with a possible hairline tibial plateau fracture and ligament damage. Self inflicted of course whilst trail riding on Exmoor. I managed to get crossed up on loose wet rock and fall over while going uphill at not many miles an hour on a not terribly steep hill. I had knee protectors on but landed on the outside of the knee on a rock with the bike landing on the inside of the knee. Doh!

We gave up the trail ride and hit the pub for a lunchtime pint before heading home but the swelling etc got steadily worse during the rest of Sunday and walking ever more painful, so gave in and went to RUH A&E Sunday evening which of course was pretty busy with a couple of ambo's waiting outside. Triaged after about 40/50 minutes and then 20 minutes later they made the announcement that the waiting time after triage could be 7-8 hours!! Well, that would have been something like 5am or so depending on how bad the triage practitioner had rated me and the OH was still sat in the car outside as only the patient is allowed in - although there were several groups of 2/3 adults that were obviously together about the place. Deciding to give up on this I discharged myself and went home and had a glass or two purely for medicinal purposes you understand and went down the local minor injuries unit early the next morning instead.

Triaged, examined and x-rayed and results within three hours, that's more like it. They have referred me to the fracture clinic and possibly MRI scan at RUH and advised I would get a call but it wouldn't be for a day or two while they cleared the weekends backlog but should be within four days. That's not so good. Sure enough, no call yet so I'll have to give them a call Monday and find out what is going on.

In the meantime the past week I have missed a couple of lovely sunny riding days :( but the OH is waiting on me hand and foot so not all bad. :)

BB

Burbler
16-10-21, 02:10 PM
Deaf nut sounds 'ouch'. I rec more 'medicine', less skiing. Heal well and quickly J. I've got painful ribs and lumbar at the moment.

Last Train
17-10-21, 08:50 AM
Mend well BB & nicely done OH :)

What’ve you been up to Burbs ?
Have you been trailing too ?

Burbler
17-10-21, 02:16 PM

What’ve you been up to Burbs ?
Have you been trailing too ?

Fell down stairs, again wine-related.

BB
17-10-21, 05:31 PM

Thankyou :cool:

BB
17-10-21, 05:32 PM
Fell down stairs, again wine-related.

Oh dear. Good reason to live in a bungalow!

Trev
17-10-21, 06:50 PM
Sorry to hear that, so easy done off road, fingers crossed you mend okay and soon. I had a couple of low speed (the only speed I do now) offs last week when out with my lad, neither more than bruises and bumps but I'm really feeling the rib one and I'm thinking I'll restrict myself to super easy trails for a while as would hate to miss some riding due to being a bit broke.

Dabz
18-10-21, 09:47 AM
ouch, hope you mend quickly! Could be worse - could be the start of Spring

BB
18-10-21, 07:58 PM
Could be worse - could be the start of Spring

Very true :cool:

Scotty
18-10-21, 09:21 PM
Hope you get diagnosed accurately and heal quickly, and don't forget to give Don an hour off now and then!

Trev_P
19-10-21, 04:59 PM
oooh :( speedy recovery :D

BB
03-11-21, 12:45 PM
Following a follow up last week with the fractures mob down at RUH I was relieved to learn I didn't have a fracture after all and had also got away without any ligament damage. Whoop Whoop! so could relieve myself of the brace and only use the crutches if I felt I needed them. I still have fluid around the joint and a degree of pain if I kneel on it, over do it or twist my leg so I try not to do any of that. I'll also stay off the trails for a bit. Oh yes, and I start physio tomorrow. :rolleyes:

And - I went out on the road bike yesterday which was fabulous, a bit chilly, but absolutely bloody fabulous. :cool:

Burbler
03-11-21, 12:52 PM
And - I went out on the road bike yesterday which was fabulous, a bit chilly, but absolutely bloody fabulous. :cool:

Great news, how do you manage with the crutches on the road bike. Good for spearing pedestrians and cyclists I imagine.