PDA

View Full Version : Takes all sorts.

Badger-Roy
10-10-20, 07:51 PM
Just posting this as I barely believe it myself.
I sold a little Honda lead 100cc scooter today that iv been fixing up for summit to do, anyway the bloke phoned me and asked if I could meet him at the local train station (Pewsey) which I did and up he rocks, looks the scooter over and pays me, we then get chatting (from a good distance apart) and I ask where he’s from, turns out he’s got the train down from Croydon (as in London Croydon) and is going to ride it home using A roads as he’s only got a provisional licence. Works out to about 140 miles...... at 40 mph top speed.
Now im not sure if he’s a real biker just starting of biker life or an absolute frigging nutcase, but I’m not ashamed to admit I got in my van and buggered of as quick as I could just in case it was the latter!

Dazr
10-10-20, 10:00 PM
Like you say "Takes all sorts" it did make me smile...;)

Last Train
10-10-20, 10:57 PM
If you want it, make it happen. No matter how crazy....

Love it :D

Trev_P
11-10-20, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE= I ask where he’s from, turns out he’s got the train down from Croydon (as in London Croydon) and is going to ride it home using A roads as he’s only got a provisional licence[/QUOTE]

now the ex policeman officer in me is curious to (not your problem i know) A-any L plates, B-did he get Insurance, C-did he re-tax it before going on his way as if i was still job i would have no hesitation in tugging such a machine on the basis of my nose twitching.

so if he did get tugged that nicely restored machine may well be on its way to the crusher by now

ps yeah i know i'm a killjoy lol

Badger-Roy
11-10-20, 01:54 PM
the ex policeman officer in me
I knew there was summit about you I didn’t like ;)

Burbler
11-10-20, 06:57 PM
Found an old pic of Trev...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Falchetron.com%2Fcdn%2Ferik-estrada-30fd046b-e32e-4c57-b75f-95d1925b9f9-resize-750.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

Burbler
11-10-20, 06:58 PM
...all the best people dress left...

Trev_P
11-10-20, 09:01 PM
I knew there was summit about you I didn’t like ;)

aaaaww i'm house trained and everything lol ;)

Trev_P
11-10-20, 09:08 PM
Found an old pic of Trev...

funnily enough... the CHiPs series had not long been out and an old mate and me got our first identical kwackers complete with crash bars etc and blatted about in the childish notion were were ponch and baker. now we just have paunches ah to be 17 again lol
i know it's a sad story

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Falchetron.com%2Fcdn%2Ferik-estrada-30fd046b-e32e-4c57-b75f-95d1925b9f9-resize-750.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1[/QUOTE]

Badger-Roy
12-10-20, 07:18 AM
aaaaww i'm house trained and everything lol ;)
:D

BB
12-10-20, 06:28 PM
now the ex policeman officer in me is curious to (not your problem i know) A-any L plates, B-did he get Insurance, C-did he re-tax it before going on his way as if i was still job i would have no hesitation in tugging such a machine on the basis of my nose twitching.

so if he did get tugged that nicely restored machine may well be on its way to the crusher by now

ps yeah i know i'm a killjoy lol

I wasn't going to mention anything about killjoys....

BB
12-10-20, 06:32 PM
When I sold my Duke back in 2009, the guy came down from London on the train fully booted and spurred clutching his crash hat (was going to say helmet but I know what you lot are like!) so we collected him from the station and swilled coffee until his bank transfer cleared and off he went. Never thought to ask if he had insurance...

Burbler
12-10-20, 09:27 PM
I get the seller to date the docs on the next day.

Then I can ride / drive 3rd party on my own insurance (not owned by me).

New tax regs are a bugger though.

Trev_P
13-10-20, 08:56 AM
I get the seller to date the docs on the next day.

Then I can ride / drive 3rd party on my own insurance (not owned by me).

could be a bugger for the seller tho in the event you get done by a money, sorry speed camera on the day you take it as the seller has no way to disprove it wasn't him as he "sold it" the day after. so don't tell him your name pike !

WR6133
13-10-20, 03:38 PM

I think in certain scenarios it is the sellers problem. My understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is if you let them "test ride", the bike then you are legally obliged to ensure the bike and rider are both fully legal. This is because at this point the bike belongs to you and relevant law covers your obligations here (causing or permitting in relation to other than accordance or third party insurance..... 2 charges?).

Once you sell the bike you are under no obligation at all (as a private seller, I believe trade is different).

Anyway I hope the last sentence is correct, I sold a bike once to a drunk bloke at a train station who arrived with a cork lined helmet and can of Stella.

Badger-Roy
13-10-20, 03:52 PM
I think in certain scenarios it is the sellers problem. My understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is if you let them "test ride", the bike then you are legally obliged to ensure the bike and rider are both fully legal. This is because at this point the bike belongs to you and relevant law covers your obligations here (causing or permitting in relation to other than accordance or third party insurance..... 2 charges?).

Once you sell the bike you are under no obligation at all (as a private seller, I believe trade is different).

Anyway I hope the last sentence is correct, I sold a bike once to a drunk bloke at a train station who arrived with a cork lined helmet and can of Stella.
I don’t allow test rides full stop, learnt that the hard way years ago, had 1 person take a little Gpz 500 out for a test ride about 12 years ago and I’m still waiting for him come back and let me know if he’s buying it :( and another bike got dropped pulling back onto my drive, both my loss but no fault of mine.

WR6133
13-10-20, 05:08 PM
I bet that GPZ still pisses you off now :( I insist on asking price in cash in my hand on the, "You broke it, you bought it", principal.

Badger-Roy
13-10-20, 06:19 PM
I bet that GPZ still pisses you off now :( . more than you can imagine, he left his car and his mrs parked outside and off he went then 5 mins later his mrs starts the car and drives of, it was at that point I realised I’d just given him my bike. After 12 years the urge to give him a slap hasn’t grown ANY smaller.

Trev_P
13-10-20, 06:32 PM

correct per the test ride also as an aside if they drop it and shrug shoulders at you its at your risk/cost

Trev_P
13-10-20, 06:33 PM
more than you can imagine, he left his car and his mrs parked outside and off he went then 5 mins later his mrs starts the car and drives of, it was at that point I realised I’d just given him my bike. After 12 years the urge to give him a slap hasn’t grown ANY smaller.

OUCH !

BB
14-10-20, 09:49 AM
more than you can imagine, he left his car and his mrs parked outside and off he went then 5 mins later his mrs starts the car and drives of, it was at that point I realised I’d just given him my bike. After 12 years the urge to give him a slap hasn’t grown ANY smaller.

I can imagine. With Ducati man I took a photo of him and his driving licence before he left and he was happy to oblige