PDA

View Full Version : Beating the boredom and still getting your bike fix

wiltshire builders
11-04-20, 12:10 PM
So far I've fitted a pair of oxford heated grips to my wife's bike.
Hardwired 2 oximisers into the garage.
Fitted a new top fairing to my bike.
I also had 2 appointments yesterday in Bath and Cheltenham. Didn't fancy a 3hr round trip in a transit so "borrowed" my wife's Street Triple RS.
Went up the A46 and Down the Fosse way which were both pretty quiet although the people using the roads did seem to have their minds elsewhere. So if you do have to venture out, be extra vigilant. Saw 1 near head on and had 2 cars pull out on me.
When I got back I cleaned the bikes ( yet again) and then watched https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/films/andrea-dovizioso-undaunted-film
It's not your usual bike documentary. It focuses more on the psychological effects of racing through the eyes of Andrea Dovizioso and the pressures put on him from the team and other riders.
It's not the most exhilarating film but it wastes an hour and beats watching repeats of Homes under the Hammer.
Anyone else got any bike related ways to kill the time?

Scotty
11-04-20, 06:29 PM
Erm, aside from cleaning the living daylights out of them, wiring in battery charger leads, checking fluid levels and tyre pressures, cleaning them again.... oh, and fitting a new Akrapovic system (which was technically done before lockdown, before we were aware of the upcoming indefinite spell of enforced idleness... D’Oh!)

Lordy, after the never-ending winter of rain we were so looking forward to taxing the bikes on 1st April, and daren’t have hoped for weather like this... which we get to appreciate from our back garden rather than (insert any fave biking destination here)...

WR6133
11-04-20, 07:31 PM
Lot's of polishing, got a TV in the garage so usually half watch something on Netflix while doing it. If you own shares in Autosol I reckon you are doing well right now.

I filled last weekend with sorting out and tidying the garage, it had gotten pretty messy.

I found a clutch cable last week and not to rush a task I took all week to identify it as for the GSXR and to then fit it.

Put the ZZR on SORN, going to remove the fairings next week and give it some attention.

Work has me going to Devizes a couple of times a week, used bikes for that. May have got "lost" on the return leg a few times, depending on what time you are out it can still sometimes be eerily quiet, especially if you avoid main roads.

I never realised that by not commuting up to 2 hours everyday I'd free up so much time.

Badger-Roy
11-04-20, 08:02 PM
Lot's of polishing, got a TV in the garage so usually half watch something on Netflix while doing it. If you own shares in Autosol I reckon you are doing well right now.

I filled last weekend with sorting out and tidying the garage, it had gotten pretty messy.

I found a clutch cable last week and not to rush a task I took all week to identify it as for the GSXR and to then fit it.

Put the ZZR on SORN, going to remove the fairings next week and give it some attention.

Work has me going to Devizes a couple of times a week, used bikes for that. May have got "lost" on the return leg a few times, depending on what time you are out it can still sometimes be eerily quiet, especially if you avoid main roads.

I never realised that by not commuting up to 2 hours everyday I'd free up so much time.
Was that you giving me a rev as you went past the other day on your GSXR?

Last Train
11-04-20, 09:14 PM
I’ve spent the last few weeks polishing the **** out of anything I could get to the mop.
So for the last few days I’ve been suffering from a hands on hangover of sorts.
What I’ve been doing was instead is dreaming of my next purchase :o
I want an old Brit, something like this would fit the bill nicely :cool:

Burbler
12-04-20, 08:02 AM
What you REALLY need is a Blackbird (going cheep) in need of TLC.

Last Train
12-04-20, 03:12 PM
What you REALLY ned is a Blackbird (going cheep) in need of TLC.

Way too Jap for my liking :)

WR6133
12-04-20, 07:43 PM
Was that you giving me a rev as you went past the other day on your GSXR?

That was me, went past the next day on the Enfield.

I want an old Brit

Indian built Enfield?...... all the authentic performance but more "usable".

Badger-Roy
12-04-20, 10:28 PM
That was me, went past the next day on the Enfield
yep I was out in the garage and I saw you both times, some would say I spend to much time out in the garage (by some I mean people with the same surname as me but with a mrs in front of it) :rolleyes:

Last Train
13-04-20, 10:11 AM
Indian built Enfield?...... all the authentic performance but more "usable".

A couple of Buell guys have them too & love them, but not really on my radar.

I quite fancy a Grumph :)

BB
13-04-20, 12:22 PM
A couple of Buell guys have them too & love them, but not really on my radar.

I quite fancy a Grumph :)

Nice looking Grumph there :cool:

wiltshire builders
13-04-20, 05:56 PM
You could also watch my wife defending her title on Countdown this week.

BB
14-04-20, 11:25 AM
You could also watch my wife defending her title on Countdown this week.

Really? I'm hopeless at that.

wiltshire builders
14-04-20, 02:54 PM
Me too. I'm more into colouring in than words and numbers.

BB
14-04-20, 03:59 PM
Me too. I'm more into colouring in than words and numbers.

Love it :D:D:D

Last Train
17-04-20, 11:29 AM
Ok, so we have to endure at least 3 more weeks.

More plans are needed me thinks....

Dazr
17-04-20, 11:35 AM
Ok, so we have to endure at least 3 more weeks.

More plans are needed me thinks....

I have cleaned and cleaned the bike, also fitted bits i have bought..... will leave it Sorn at the moment i thinks.....

GezTheHealer
20-04-20, 11:41 PM
Last train: minimum three more weeks has also had me looking to stretch my to-do list. Why not look back for inspiration?

So far I have...

Painted a room.

Watched crap films (deniro in Frankenstein, as bad as it is excessive)

Made pinball videos.

Dusted and hoovered.

Built Lego.

Dusted Lego.

Alphabetically organised the videos.

Seriously considered purchasing a super hang on video arcade console.

Talked crap online.

Been slightly disappointed in my progress in what feels like a literal month of Sunday’s.

Missed riding my bike!

Worried I’m getting to fat for my bike.

Drank.

Ate.

Put ‘work out fitness regime’ on the to-do list.

Lay around in the sun with my shirt off (highlight, I should do this more).

Done all my school work.

Drank.

Gone on a motorbike forum, knowing I can’t ride my bike anytime soon despite the Most glorious weather to grace the mediterranean let alone the UK.

Googled ‘essential travel’

Trev_P
21-04-20, 08:18 AM
Last train: minimum three more weeks has also had me looking to stretch my to-do list. Why not look back for inspiration?

So far I have...

Painted a room.

Watched crap films (deniro in Frankenstein, as bad as it is excessive)

Made pinball videos.

Dusted and hoovered.

Built Lego.

Dusted Lego.

Alphabetically organised the videos.

Seriously considered purchasing a super hang on video arcade console.

Talked crap online.

Been slightly disappointed in my progress in what feels like a literal month of Sunday’s.

Missed riding my bike!

Worried I’m getting to fat for my bike.

Drank.

Ate.

Put ‘work out fitness regime’ on the to-do list.

Lay around in the sun with my shirt off (highlight, I should do this more).

Done all my school work.

Drank.

Gone on a motorbike forum, knowing I can’t ride my bike anytime soon despite the Most glorious weather to grace the mediterranean let alone the UK.

Googled ‘essential travel’

What no mention of you finishing your garage/american diner project ?

as for your points above:
2 - Ditto
4 - Ditto, downside is now she knows that i can operate the hoover, bugger !
7 - Ditto found software for this called DVD Profiler (free but i paid for a licence - nice app) also did my CD's using Music Collector by GSOFT4U (freeware)
9 - no change for you there then :p
11 - Ditto, in fact i think i have forgotten how to ride, not that i knew in the first place :rolleyes:
12 - to late for us both mate
13 - Ditto, can recommend animus red from aldi 4.99 getting this is an essential journey as is getting any alcohol which covers your last point :D
14 - Ditto, see point 12
16 - As point 12

good that that you have recovered from the sniffles you had :cool:

GezTheHealer
21-04-20, 03:09 PM
lol, cheers Trev yeah both me and the wife feeling better. My pinball/diner/garage is the painted a room, though it did take about a week with a bunch of coats - fair warning; it’s not a time to order anything from homebase, they seem to be swamped!

Hope your all keeping well :)

Badger-Roy
22-04-20, 09:47 PM
Iv spent the last 2 days pulling an old Suzuki an400 Bergman apart that iv had tucked away for a while (paid peanuts for it as a non-runner) but not had the time to spend on it.
After 2 hours working out how to take the body work of :mad: iv de-greased and jet washed 3 years of ****e and crud away from where it’s been stood up, wire brushed away rusty frame paint and repainted, glued up and fixed a broken nose cone, cleaned the carb out etc and finely got it running after tracing a broken wire from the brake lever (started 2nd try after fixing the wire :D).
Its actually running rather nicely apart from a bit of a clatter from the variator and having just taking it for a naughty whizz down a track near me I’m quite taken with it, 1st big scooter iv ever ridden and I was amazed just how well it pulled and comfortable it is.
Plans for tomorrow are to rip the callipers apart as they work but probably could do with a clean and fluid change then change all oils and then give it a good clean and polish.
Then it’s book an MOT and fingers crossed time, I admit its not the prettiest but for what it owes me it can have a place in the garage if it passes.

BB
22-04-20, 10:08 PM
Result Badger-Roy! Well done. Never ridden a scooter myself - well unless you count delivering a 50cc Honda love back in the 80's!

I've not touched a bike since this plague thing started. I have been gardening instead, also cooking and sewing.... I think I'm turning into a girl. :( Oh, hang on, I forgot, I am one! :o

Badger-Roy
22-04-20, 10:37 PM
Result Badger-Roy! Well done. Never ridden a scooter myself - well unless you count delivering a 50cc Honda love back in the 80's!

I've not touched a bike since this plague thing started. I have been gardening instead, also cooking and sewing.... I think I'm turning into a girl. :( Oh, hang on, I forgot, I am one! :o
;)

WR6133
23-04-20, 01:54 PM
I think I'm turning into a girl. :( Oh, hang on, I forgot, I am one! :o

I should probably attend more of our events, I actually thought you were a bloke with a load of old Brit Bikes. I even had an imagined image of a late middle aged bloke, spectacular moustache riding a BSA and wearing a pudding basin. :confused:

1st big scooter iv ever ridden and I was amazed just how well it pulled and comfortable it is.

It's weird to ride a CVT that actually has some power, I thought so anyways when I had a try on one. Well done on getting it running, I've been told those maxi scooters can be quite profitable to flip, apparently weapon of choice for the phone snatchers in London.

Dazr
23-04-20, 07:58 PM
Badger-Roy sounds like you have put the time to good use, what a great what to spend the time. Look forward to the pics or perhaps seeing it on the next ride out...... some time in the distance future....

BB
23-04-20, 08:40 PM
I should probably attend more of our events, I actually thought you were a bloke with a load of old Brit Bikes. I even had an imagined image of a late middle aged bloke, spectacular moustache riding a BSA and wearing a pudding basin. :confused:

Magic :D:D:D Love it. I laughed like a drain & OH came to find out what I was cackling about.

Wot, like this?

BB
23-04-20, 08:48 PM
Actually, this is me, :cool:

Badger-Roy
23-04-20, 09:19 PM
Badger-Roy sounds like you have put the time to good use, what a great what to spend the time. Look forward to the pics or perhaps seeing it on the next ride out...... some time in the distance future....
If I get really bored iv an old Peugeot Speedfight 50cc 2stroke I can play with that I was given last week by a neighbour, even got mot on it, may be worth a strip down and rebuild lol.

On the Bergman I stripped brakes today as planned and strangely it actually all went to plan, which with hindsight “should” have given me warning on what was about to come when I went on to change the fluids, brake fluid change went well, transmission oil even better, then on to engine oil, I went to undo the sump plug only to find some twonk in the past (not me I hasten to add) has completely stripped the threads out of the sump then glued the sump plug back in (yes glued). Anyway it’s now loaded in the van and it’s of to the garage tomorrow morning for the sump to be helicoiled and then MOTed so fingers, toes, legs and nuts crossed that it passes.

Badger-Roy
23-04-20, 09:20 PM
Looking cool, nice bike.

BB
23-04-20, 09:21 PM
Glued? Well, I suppose it kept it in and stopped any leaks! :p

Badger-Roy
23-04-20, 09:26 PM
Glued? Well, I suppose it kept it in and stopped any leaks! :p
Yep glue, I suspect it was a type of resin as a gentle tap with the toffee hammer and it cracked clean away.

BB
23-04-20, 09:34 PM
Yep glue, I suspect it was a type of resin as a gentle tap with the toffee hammer and it cracked clean away.

Some previous work undertaken by those well know mechanics Bodgit and Scarper!

Burbler
24-04-20, 07:19 AM
Sellotape works as well...

WR6133
24-04-20, 07:47 AM
Wot, like this?

Close, remove a decade and turn the beard in to a glorious tache.

That's the roundabout in Calne where the photographer sets up? Bet that exhaust sounds awesome.

If I get really bored iv an old Peugeot Speedfight 50cc 2stroke I can play with that I was given last week by a neighbour, even got mot on it, may be worth a strip down and rebuild lol.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Speedfight-1-2-AC-70cc-Big-Bore-Cylinder-Piston-Gasket-Kit/273794678371?epid=2084762366&hash=item3fbf6f3e63:g:TboAAOSwJhFZiYqN :cool: There is always something fun about making a moped that will run the needle off the speedo.

it’s of to the garage tomorrow morning for the sump to be helicoiled and then MOTed so fingers, toes, legs and nuts crossed that it passes.

Too late for this one but you can buy oversized plugs, recutting the thread to a bigger size at home is not too hard. If I was keeping something I'd see it as more trustworthy than a helicoil.

I have to collect some crap from work today so you'll hear me come past this afternoon.

BB
24-04-20, 09:40 AM
Close, remove a decade and turn the beard in to a glorious tache.

I try and keep it trimmed :D

That's the roundabout in Calne where the photographer sets up? Bet that exhaust sounds awesome.

It is indeed and nothing beats the sound of an old Brit single :cool:

WR6133
24-04-20, 10:01 AM
nothing beats the sound of an old Brit single :cool:

Cept maybe an Indian one ;)

BB
24-04-20, 11:43 AM
Cept maybe an Indian one ;)

Which is based on an old Brit :D

WR6133
24-04-20, 01:04 PM
Which is based on an old Brit :D

You got me on that my attempt to bait was poor :p , the Indians are arguably where they would be now had the industry not died.

I'll be honest the real Brit bikes intimidate me. separate gearboxes, points, drum brakes, weird levers in unexpected places....... all way out of my comfort zone. Give me UCE, disk brakes and if not EFI at least modern ignition systems, I know what I'm doing then.

BB
24-04-20, 03:22 PM
Ah, but the old stuff can be so simple. I was on the old Ajay leading a White Horses run years ago and she started loosing power - and when you only have 16 bhp to start with,,, Anyway, limped on a couple of miles and she was sounding really odd too so stopped in a layby to check her over. Nothing obvious so restart her and then noticed the barrel was going up & down a bit with the piston! Ah, that'll be it then! My OH whipped out an adjustable, tightened everything up and away we went again to do the remaining 40 miles of the run.
No problem. :cool:

Scotty
24-04-20, 05:03 PM
Chicky had expressed a wish to learn more about bikes and mechanics and last September I returned from the Classic Bol d'Or to find that she'd relieved my sister of several boxes of rust that had previously been a little Yamaha RS100 that my sis had found half-submerged in somebody's garden - it had been there since the end of the '80s and was biodegrading and literally becoming part of the scenery, and the householder gave it to my sis. Chicky paid her £50 for the lot, fair enough as my sis had stripped it right down and already bought a new piston and rings, and a few other bits that obviously needed replacing - the tinware was pretty much shot as were the wheels and swingarm. In January we'd done a fair bit of prep work and I'd tidied the engine cases, barrel and head, and reassembled it with the new piston and rings. We visited the Kempton Park auto jumble a couple of times looking for forks and wheels but the RS hasn't (yet) attained popular status so we never found anything useful. Upon leaving Kempton for the 2nd time we decided to try elsewhere and a post on the RS owners Facebook page elicited a quick response - a guy in North London had wheels and forks for sale (he was "upgrading" his RS to use YBR125 parts, something that I'd considered doing with ours to be honest) so we scooted round the M25 a bit and struck a deal - and stopped at the Ace café for a cuppa afterwards.
We decided to park the RS project for a while as we're a bit tight for space in the garage and there were other more pressing jobs to be done, among them being selling two of the collection. Then came along the Coronavirus and lockdown and we haven't even bothered advertising the bikes yet, but with a bit of time on my hands I've dug out the RS and resumed work. Frame and swingarm have been painted, and a load of bits previously identified as needed ordered from Wemoto and Fowlups. Next job I reckon will be to tidy up the fork stanchions before the just-ordered seals and fork oil arrive - Jaydee suggested filling the pits with zinc paint and then rubbing down with very fine grade wet & dry - gotta be worth a try, and if that doesn't work, new fork stanchions are only £29.52 from Wemoto. EBay will be consulted for a pair of shocks too, as the originals are toast and any potential replacements spotted at Kempton would no doubt have had heavier springs on them as the only known correct feature was the centre mounting distances.
More soon....

DC
24-04-20, 06:38 PM
I want to re-fit the engine dresser bars to the Bonny so have to relocate the ignition , so I'm in the process of fabricating a bracket . 3mm Alu , nuts and bolts and couple of threaded stud connectors, all of which I had in the misc box , all I need to get is an M8x70 through bolt . I did one out of 4mm MDF just to see if it fitted the desired location , and just in the process of making a stand off spacer . I'm lathe-less so so had to use the mains drill and grinder . Spinny , spinny , grindy , grindy , sandy , sandy , a little bit to go to get it to 25mm and give it a bit of finesse .

DC
24-04-20, 06:39 PM

DC
24-04-20, 06:40 PM

DC
24-04-20, 06:41 PM

Last Train
24-04-20, 07:01 PM
Bespoke in every sense of the word.

Love it DC :cool:

Last Train
24-04-20, 07:05 PM
Chicky had expressed a wish to learn more about bikes and mechanics and last September I returned from the Classic Bol d'Or to find that she'd relieved my sister of several boxes of rust that had previously been a little Yamaha RS100 that my sis had found half-submerged in somebody's garden - it had been there since the end of the '80s and was biodegrading and literally becoming part of the scenery, and the householder gave it to my sis. Chicky paid her £50 for the lot, fair enough as my sis had stripped it right down and already bought a new piston and rings, and a few other bits that obviously needed replacing - the tinware was pretty much shot as were the wheels and swingarm. In January we'd done a fair bit of prep work and I'd tidied the engine cases, barrel and head, and reassembled it with the new piston and rings. We visited the Kempton Park auto jumble a couple of times looking for forks and wheels but the RS hasn't (yet) attained popular status so we never found anything useful. Upon leaving Kempton for the 2nd time we decided to try elsewhere and a post on the RS owners Facebook page elicited a quick response - a guy in North London had wheels and forks for sale (he was "upgrading" his RS to use YBR125 parts, something that I'd considered doing with ours to be honest) so we scooted round the M25 a bit and struck a deal - and stopped at the Ace café for a cuppa afterwards.
We decided to park the RS project for a while as we're a bit tight for space in the garage and there were other more pressing jobs to be done, among them being selling two of the collection. Then came along the Coronavirus and lockdown and we haven't even bothered advertising the bikes yet, but with a bit of time on my hands I've dug out the RS and resumed work. Frame and swingarm have been painted, and a load of bits previously identified as needed ordered from Wemoto and Fowlups. Next job I reckon will be to tidy up the fork stanchions before the just-ordered seals and fork oil arrive - Jaydee suggested filling the pits with zinc paint and then rubbing down with very fine grade wet & dry - gotta be worth a try, and if that doesn't work, new fork stanchions are only £29.52 from Wemoto. EBay will be consulted for a pair of shocks too, as the originals are toast and any potential replacements spotted at Kempton would no doubt have had heavier springs on them as the only known correct feature was the centre mounting distances.
More soon....

Nice Scotty,
I couldn't picture the bike so had to google.
I love the zinc paint trick :)

Badger-Roy
24-04-20, 07:05 PM
I want to re-fit the engine dresser bars to the Bonny so have to relocate the ignition , so I'm in the process of fabricating a bracket . 3mm Alu , nuts and bolts and couple of threaded stud connectors, all of which I had in the misc box , all I need to get is an M8x70 through bolt . I did one out of 4mm MDF just to see if it fitted the desired location , and just in the process of making a stand off spacer . I'm lathe-less so so had to use the mains drill and grinder . Spinny , spinny , grindy , grindy , sandy , sandy , a little bit to go to get it to 25mm and give it a bit of finesse .

is it just me that gets a slightly perverse kick out of making something that works using tools that really weren’t designed to make it, it’s kinda like sticking two fingers up to the whole universe and saying “see I know best” :)

Last Train
24-04-20, 07:06 PM
is it just me that gets a slightly perverse kick out of making something that works using tools that really weren’t designed to make it, it’s kinda like sticking two fingers up to the whole universe and saying “see I know best” :)

Nope, it's not just you Badge :D

Badger-Roy
24-04-20, 07:20 PM
Woohoo weyhay the Bergman passed with “almost” flying colours, 1 advisory for ball-end missing on front brake lever and another for slightly rusty frame but not affecting the structure integrity.
I took it out for a celebratory ride (I actually genuinely had to collect a prescription for my bruv from Salisbury hospital as he’s in the sub 1% vulnerable group) and it actually rides really nice and rides and cruises at 80+ no problem, then I stopped for a quick vape and it started no problem but as soon as I touched the throttle the engine bogs and died.
Would I be correct in saying this is probably a stuck float or a blocked pilot jet?

Anyway did I mention I had to push the bloody thing better part of a mile home, and a mile pushing a 400cc is a damn long way for a fat bloke with short legs!

Badger-Roy
24-04-20, 07:21 PM
Nope, it's not just you Badge :D
It is oddly satisfying :)

BB
24-04-20, 07:59 PM
Anyway did I mention I had to push the bloody thing better part of a mile home, and a mile pushing a 400cc is a damn long way for a fat bloke with short legs!

Well done about the MOT, shame about the push though :(

WR6133
24-04-20, 09:37 PM
Would I be correct in saying this is probably a stuck float or a blocked pilot jet?

Could also be leak somewhere around the inlet manifold or dodgy autochoke (if it has one). I'd check them before the carb just because they are easier and you'll be removing them enroute to the carb anyways.

Badger-Roy
24-04-20, 09:43 PM
Could also be leak somewhere around the inlet manifold or dodgy autochoke (if it has one). I'd check them before the carb just because they are easier and you'll be removing them enroute to the carb anyways.
What I can’t work out was it was riding really well up in till I pulled over and turned the engine off for 5 mins, from that point on it’s been an absolute turd, it’ll tick over happy as Larry all day (I hope Larrys happy anyway he’s not been on for a while) but literally as soon as I touch the throttle it bogs down and stalls.

WR6133
25-04-20, 07:25 AM
What I can’t work out was it was riding really well up in till I pulled over and turned the engine off for 5 mins, from that point on it’s been an absolute turd, it’ll tick over happy as Larry all day (I hope Larrys happy anyway he’s not been on for a while) but literally as soon as I touch the throttle it bogs down and stalls.

If it has an auto choke deffo try pulling it first (if it has one it'll usually be on the side of the carb with a couple wires coming from it). That old V-clic I modified alot had one and it left my Mrs stranded in Amesbury once with identical symptoms. Testing the inlet manifold is easy too shoot loads of WD40 at it while bike is running, if the idle speed changes there is an issue. Any of those or dirt blocking the carb can just happen..... if it sat for ages could be old sediment and **** in the tank and just bad luck it shifted and caused a blockage when you stopped.

Badger-Roy
25-04-20, 08:13 AM
If it has an auto choke deffo try pulling it first (if it has one it'll usually be on the side of the carb with a couple wires coming from it). That old V-clic I modified alot had one and it left my Mrs stranded in Amesbury once with identical symptoms. Testing the inlet manifold is easy too shoot loads of WD40 at it while bike is running, if the idle speed changes there is an issue. Any of those or dirt blocking the carb can just happen..... if it sat for ages could be old sediment and **** in the tank and just bad luck it shifted and caused a blockage when you stopped.
how would I test the auto choke? Is it a case of taking it of and starting the bike and see if it runs ok? Cheers for the ideas :cool:

WR6133
25-04-20, 08:26 AM
how would I test the auto choke? Is it a case of taking it of and starting the bike and see if it runs ok? Cheers for the ideas :cool:

Yeah, remove it start bike, it may be harder to start and require you to feather the throttle a bit till warm. Once warm try cracking open throttle, if it works happy days. If not you need to remove it anyway when you pull the carb. When it's idling may as well spray wd40 all around the inlet as well, 2 birds 1 stone.

Badger-Roy
25-04-20, 08:27 AM
Yeah, remove it start bike, it may be harder to start and require you to feather the throttle a bit till warm. Once warm try cracking open throttle, if it works happy days. If not you need to remove it anyway when you pull the carb. When it's idling may as well spray wd40 all around the inlet as well, 2 birds 1 stone.
Cheers il give that a whirl and see how it goes :cool:

DC
25-04-20, 06:43 PM
Squirt of paint and a stand off spacer .

DC
25-04-20, 08:19 PM

Needs must , you've got to make do with what you've got . :cool:

DC
25-04-20, 08:19 PM
Bespoke in every sense of the word.

Love it DC :cool:

Thanks LT :cool:

Badger-Roy
25-04-20, 09:09 PM
Needs must , you've got to make do with what you've got . :cool:
Hey if it works it’s all good, nothing wrong with using a hammer to put in a screw as long as the screw stays in, (iv actually genuinely done that :o)

Badger-Roy
25-04-20, 09:22 PM
Well had a gander at it this afternoon and from what I can see the auto choke has had a “redneck repair” in that the wires have been cut, a hole drilled through it with a bolt fitted to pull the choke out, as iv only just noticed it this means up till now it’s been starting with no choke what so ever, needless to say once I find one il be buying a new auto choke. I then took the top of the carb and removed the spring,diaphragm, needle and slider, straight away I noticed it had been put in in the wrong order, it’s meant to go needle 1st, spring holder feet down, then the spring, but the previous owner had fitted the spring holder feet up, then the needle, then the spring meaning the needle was 1|2in shorter, (how it run I don’t know) so after putting it back together correctly I hopefully started it and it started easily, revved well etc so helmet on and off I ride, it’s going well then 2 miles in it’s start bogging down and dieing again, ticks over lovely but won’t rev.
So until I get a new choke it’s been confined to the back of the garage. :(

BB
26-04-20, 11:34 AM
revved well etc so helmet on and off I ride, it’s going well then 2 miles in it’s start bogging down and dieing again, ticks over lovely but won’t rev.
So until I get a new choke it’s been confined to the back of the garage. :(

Bad scoot! naughty corner for you - or should that be the previous owner?

DC
26-04-20, 01:54 PM
Job's a good'n :cool:

BB
26-04-20, 03:16 PM
Neat, I know who to approach if I need any brackets made :cool:

DC
26-04-20, 03:20 PM
Neat, I know who to approach if I need any brackets made :cool:

Nice one Judy , it turned out pretty good :cool:

Badger-Roy
26-04-20, 09:56 PM
Job's a good'n :cool:

That looks quality mate, job well done.

DC
26-04-20, 10:13 PM
That looks quality mate, job well done.

Thanks Roy :cool:, it's amazing what you can turn out with a hammer and some sandpaper ! :)

Badger-Roy
26-04-20, 10:20 PM
Thanks Roy :cool:, it's amazing what you can turn out with a hammer and some sandpaper ! :)
It certainly is lol.

GezTheHealer
27-04-20, 08:20 AM
! That bracket looks smart, very professional.

DC
28-04-20, 03:15 PM
! That bracket looks smart, very professional.

Thanks Gez , hope you're well mate :cool:

GezTheHealer
29-04-20, 01:46 PM
I’m feeling all better, but I am full of aches; I did the Joe Wicks daily workout yesterday (meant for kids!) and it was exhausting!

Hope your well too.

Badger-Roy
29-04-20, 03:43 PM
I did the Joe Wicks daily workout yesterday (meant for kids!) and it was exhausting!

Hope your well too.
you have seen kids haven’t you? They have endless amounts of energy, doing a workout routine meant for kids is probably up there with pro athlete level.

BB
30-04-20, 09:25 AM
you have seen kids haven’t you? They have endless amounts of energy, doing a workout routine meant for kids is probably up there with pro athlete level.

Oh so true!

GezTheHealer
04-05-20, 11:16 PM
😂 well feeling better now, it only took me almost another week to have another crack at it today, albeit slightly less enthusiastically. I figured kids are smaller and only have little muscles, but yes, now that you mention it at school they do run about at school a lot more than the teachers and staff... 🧐