PDA

View Full Version : Melted Microfibre cloth.

BugsyB
01-04-20, 04:42 PM
I started my old BSA yesterday, as there's little else to do at present. All went well until I let a microfibre cloth touch a very hot chrome exhaust. The result is a mess. Looking on the 'net there's a variety of solutions, ranging from wire wool (Eh!?!) to oven cleaner or vinegar. Some recommend heating it back up and wiping with a pure cotton cloth. I just wondered if anyone out there has successfully dealt with this, without damage to the metalwork. Thanks

WR6133
02-04-20, 07:47 AM
I melt my boot on my Enfield exhaust everytime i ride it :(

My method is warm it up again , not super hot and then go at it with an oily cotton rag. Method 2 if cold is one of those non scratch scourers soaked in oil but that takes more effort.

BB
02-04-20, 07:58 AM
Oops, no idea as I've never done it (so far fingers crossed)

Badger-Roy
02-04-20, 08:12 AM
I melted my jacket on my guzzi exhaust, a rag soaked in WD40 while it was still hot whipped it of no problems.

Last Train
02-04-20, 11:27 AM
I had a plastic carrier bag wrap itself around my exhaust header years ago.
It was a windy day and had just blown across the road in front of me.
I took a bit of shifting, I think I just hacked it off with a screwdriver in the end :rolleyes:

I don't recommend that solution for you Bugsy.
There are far better methods listed above. ;)

BugsyB
02-04-20, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. The bike's a minter so I don't want to mark it unnecessarily. I'll start it this afternoon and try the heat and WD40 trick. Cheers All.

BugsyB
02-04-20, 06:53 PM
Well, 2 lessons learnt. 1) Be more careful with microfibre cloths. 2) If heat got the mess there, heat will get it off. I ran the bike for a couple of minutes. Using a cotton rag soaked in WD40 I rubbed the hot pipe. The crap came off as a brown sticky mess (no, it didn't stink!). I repeated it once after the pipe cooled and the jobs a cracker. Cheers.

Last Train
02-04-20, 07:31 PM
Nicely done Sir :cool:

Badger-Roy
02-04-20, 07:36 PM
Well, 2 lessons learnt. 1) Be more careful with microfibre cloths. 2) If heat got the mess there, heat will get it off. I ran the bike for a couple of minutes. Using a cotton rag soaked in WD40 I rubbed the hot pipe. The crap came off as a brown sticky mess (no, it didn't stink!). I repeated it once after the pipe cooled and the jobs a cracker. Cheers.
Is there anything WD40 can’t do?

Wes
03-04-20, 07:51 PM
Good result there :)

Burbler
03-04-20, 08:40 PM
Some years ago I had a horrid smell in my car shortly after arriving back in Bristol. Thought it might be the clutch.

Next day revealed a black refuse sack wrapped around the exhaust. Just left it there to burn away.

Badger-Roy
03-04-20, 08:53 PM
Some years ago I had a horrid smell in my car shortly after arriving back in Bristol. Thought it might be the clutch.

Next day revealed a black refuse sack wrapped around the exhaust. Just left it there to burn away.
i had a similar thing but found a VERY well cooked pidgin that had went through the grill :(

BB
04-04-20, 08:48 AM

Just left the windows open when driving, eh? :rolleyes:

BB
04-04-20, 08:49 AM
i had a similar thing but found a VERY well cooked pidgin that had went through the grill :(

Were you driving along thinking I can smell burning feathers or I fancy a roast? ;)

Badger-Roy
04-04-20, 04:40 PM
Were you driving along thinking I can smell burning feathers or I fancy a roast? ;)
;)

Last Train
04-04-20, 05:54 PM
Did somebody mention a roast dinner !!!

BB
04-04-20, 07:51 PM
Did somebody mention a roast dinner !!!

I haven't had a full roast in ages! :(

Burbler
05-04-20, 08:51 AM