PDA

View Full Version : Track day ?

LucasZxr600
12-01-20, 08:57 PM
Hello everybody was thinking of doing a track day this year but a bit skeptical of doing it on my own .would anyone like to join me.cheers chris

Burbler
13-01-20, 10:37 AM
Southwestbikers have one every year at Llandau, S.Wales.

This year is 5th June...3 groups of 16...fast / inter / novice.

It is their members only unless not filled by 1st Feb when we usually get an invite. You could also join SWB and book in direct.

Tiz very popular and friendly. Several from here have been.

jer r1
14-01-20, 09:14 PM
Me and Kata are booked, Wes normally comes along. Only £65 and always a good day out (apart from last years weather). Like Larry said if you want to make sure you get a place just sign up to southwest bikers forum.

LucasZxr600
14-01-20, 11:53 PM
Was thinking of castle Combe £135 9 to 5 not to sure about Wales as it's my road bike if I cook my tyres I dont think the old bill would like that lol😁

Gerry
15-01-20, 12:24 AM
A couple of us (at least) will be doing Castle Combe a couple of times this season and you are welcome to join us.
We will have a couple of gazebos and a kettle :-)
Although Combe is bumpy and a bit short (although not as short as LLandow) i always gave good fun there.
Are you on WB Facebook ? keep an eye out there.
Cheers

LucasZxr600
15-01-20, 10:11 AM
Ah right sorry only on here was thinking sort of June July time also I only have 2 piece leathers is that ok

RunningBare
15-01-20, 12:16 PM
Ah right sorry only on here was thinking sort of June July time also I only have 2 piece leathers is that ok

OK if they have a FULL zip (270° I think). Also noise levels are checked.

jer r1
15-01-20, 05:13 PM
I like Combe myself, down sides are 10 minutes on track each hour, and as stated noise testing fails loads of bikes even with standard road exhausts fitted. Tyres will still be pretty much useless for road use afterwards unless they were all but new to start with.( you see quite a few police vehicles near combe on a Wednesday afternoon. Much better to try and share a van, or tow a trailer as bikes are known to go pop.

LucasZxr600
15-01-20, 06:25 PM
Ah ok might hire a bike if they have any at combe not sure.i have a ninja j2 with a stubby micron can so no sure it's 100db

Wes
15-01-20, 09:10 PM
Its 105db Im pretty sure, just about scrape in with my blade. You can get it tested at Coombe prior to booking to make sure it will pass. Nice quick track, and the bonus is that its local. Popular too, as the events are usually fully booked up, just watch out for the chicanes :) ask Gerry ;)

LucasZxr600
15-01-20, 09:47 PM
Ok will be my first time so bricking it tbh I might have to invest in a one piece suit🙄

Trev
15-01-20, 10:38 PM
I tagged along on a Castle Combe track day (on my Guzzi Griso!) with some of the WB crew a couple of years ago, super friendly and Gerry is just about the most helpful guy you can wish for. My tyres were okay to ride there and back on (just as well as getting the lump in and out of a van is not easy) but I wasn't exactly tearing up the circuit, did manage to get past a 'less experienced' R1 rider though and had great fun exploring mine (and the sidestand's) limits.
Definitely recommended

Trev_P
16-01-20, 09:50 AM
a slight detour on the subject - i looked a while ago regarding road use exhausts and noise, it seems to be pegged at 96db but can't find if thats at a particuler rev range/speed. i have bs/eu stamped road/race cans on at the moment with removable db killers and with the killers out according to my phone app (probably not accurate) at idle they read 83db and at 2000 rpm they are 89db at 1mtr . obviously they get louder when the taps are open.
does any one know what the parameters are for testing noise levels ?

jer r1
16-01-20, 02:13 PM
At combe its 3/4 throttle measured from 0.5m at a 45degree angle and they are very fussy about it. As stated by Wes you can get your bike tested before booking, just turn up on a bike track day and ask. Normally quiet after the 9 oclock rush.

Scotty
16-01-20, 03:01 PM
....i have a ninja j2 with a stubby micron can so no sure it's 100db

That will DEFINITELY fail the noise test at Combe. Due to the NIMBYs their noise test procedure is more draconian than at any other circuit regularly used for trackdays. A test at a normal circuit will be with the throttle held at a steady 7,000rpm on a 600. At Combe they stipulate 3/4 of maximum revs, which on a J2 I'd expect to be around 10,500rpm. R6 and GSX-R600 models from around 2006-7 fail the Combe test with a standard exhaust. Don't waste your time taking it there unless you can fit a standard can on it beforehand.

As a beginner on track your tyres will be fine, as long as they aren't shot to begin with. Some people mistakenly believe that it's OK to use worn-out tyres on track as there are no restrictions like on the road. Wrong. On track your tyres will get used harder than they will on the road and any deficiencies in their remaining life will soon make themselves apparent. Unlike for racing there's no scrutineering before bikes go on track, but if one of the organisers spots knackered tyres in the holding area you'll be told to replace them or go home. Even as a beginner you'll be riding faster, braking harder and leaning further than you've ever managed on the road, so make sure that your bike is in tip-top condition; tyres, brakes, suspension, oil etc.

LucasZxr600
16-01-20, 07:02 PM
Ok dokie no track day for me then don't have standard can anymore chucked it as it was dented and scraped

BB
16-01-20, 09:10 PM
Ok dokie no track day for me then don't have standard can anymore chucked it as it was dented and scraped

Well, not at Combe anyway lol

WR6133
17-01-20, 08:14 AM

you can get db killers cheap on eBay, they look crap but work

wiltshire builders
21-01-20, 05:12 PM
Combe isn't the best place for a 1st track day.
1st off, it's a bloody fast circuit with very little run off areas.
There are also no garages, there are no "groups" so a novice will be riding with advanced riders. (Turning into the chicane before Camp and having someone pass you doing twice your speed is very unnerving) and the noise restrictions are ridiculous.
The only redeeming things are: It's close and the food is pretty good.

jer r1
24-01-20, 12:09 PM
Not accurate, they may not run conventional novice, inter and fast groups but they do put out new to track groups. Any rider is able to use the services of on track instructors for as long as they want. They also ask you your level of track experience and tend to put the faster more experienced track riders in the first few groups.

Scotty
24-01-20, 01:43 PM
Jer's minor correction doesn't alter the fact that Combe only has 2 pros in its favour concerning trackdays, as Dan pointed out; proximity and food. I've ridden every regular trackday circuit in England and Wales (except Croft, Lydden Hill and Rockingham), and raced at a number of them too. Combe even sits below Llandow in my list of preferences for the following reasons:
1) Draconian noise limits
2) ten minutes/hour track time
3) Compulsory out-laps following an instructor
4) Boring layout - all right-handers, apart from the chicanes
5) CHICANES!
6) it's very BUMPY!
I've pretty much stopped doing trackdays now, but I'd rather drive 3 hours to Cadwell than ten minutes to Combe for track time. You pays yer money, you makes yer choice. For a first-timer it's probably fine, but there are many far better places to ride on track, shame they're all so far away. Never mind, the Circuit of Wales will be finished soon... won't it?

wiltshire builders
27-01-20, 05:25 PM
Not accurate, they may not run conventional novice, inter and fast groups but they do put out new to track groups. Any rider is able to use the services of on track instructors for as long as they want. They also ask you your level of track experience and tend to put the faster more experienced track riders in the first few groups.

And you've just highlighted the problem.
I'll decide whether I'm novice, intermediate or fast. Not some office monkey who has never ridden before.
On paper I'd be in the fast group. In reality (due to the amount of time between my track days and the fact I'm on my road bike) I should be in the novice or intermediates.
As for the instructors, they are not professionals by any stretch.
One time at combe I asked an instructor to check my lines and after 2 laps he f*cked off. When I pulled him aside later he said "Sorry about that. I saw someone I used to race with go past and I couldn't let him get away. You look like you know what you're doing though"

Wes
04-02-20, 09:29 PM
Southwest bikers run a trackday at Llandow, £65 for the day which is a bargain, if you fancy giving it a go. Friday June 5th , 3 groups and a really good place to start track daying :)