PDA

View Full Version : New here, and soon to be new to Wiltshire.

Lurch
16-08-19, 05:06 PM
As plans are that I will be moving to Westbury in the near future, I figured I’d sign up on here and throw a post down. I’m Ian, though most people who know me know me as Lurch. I’m currently running a Honda CM125 rat/ franken bike. I say currently, right this second it’s being recovered to Westbury where the new coil is being delivered tomorrow, which will take care of the problem that caused me to get it recovered, I figured I’d make the most of the time in the recovery van and post on here. I make props for sword swallowers and a few other sideshow performers, and I’m also a performer myself. If you wanna know any more than is here, ask away.

Last Train
16-08-19, 06:40 PM
Evening Lurch :)

BB
16-08-19, 07:13 PM
Welcome to WB, bit slow on here at the moment

Sounds intriguing 'props for sword swallowers'

Trev_P
17-08-19, 05:23 PM
Hi and Welcome to WB :D

Trev
17-08-19, 05:31 PM
Hi and welcome, interesting job :cool:

Lurch
17-08-19, 07:01 PM
Evening Last Train.

As for the props for sword swallowers, BB, it’s mostly swords, then I’ll do some limited run items, such as giant scissors, giant pinking shears, giant corkscrew, saws, giant nails. I’m currently waiting on some machining work to be done on a couple of Ford Model T rear axles, before I can finish them and get them out to a couple of people to use for sword swallowing.

Badger-Roy
17-08-19, 07:52 PM
Evening Last Train.

it’s mostly swords, then I’ll do some limited run items, such as giant scissors, giant pinking shears, giant corkscrew, saws, giant nails. .
oh you mean just the "normal stuff" ;).
welcome to WB.

BB
17-08-19, 07:53 PM
oh you mean just the "normal stuff" ;).
welcome to WB.

:D:D:D

Lurch
29-12-19, 12:54 AM
Well, I'm all settled in Westbury now, the CM125 is sorted for the time being, and there's a new addition of a '95 CBR600F3 in the garage. Both bikes are running an RFID ignition, and in addition to an individual key fob for each bike, there's a chip implanted in my hand that activates both bikes. I'm not overly fussed about the weather, as long as it's not snow / ice, so I might hit a meet up or two once I have the CBR back on the road after the headlight swap. If you see a rat-fighter looking CBR 600 about and the rider has a fluorescent yellow lid, that'll likely be me.

BB
29-12-19, 08:27 AM
Welcome once again :cool:

It's still slow on here, I think most have gone into hibernation! although a few of the boys were out on Friday for a gallop round and I', out with a classic club today heading across to Imber while the plain is open.

DC
29-12-19, 10:51 AM
Hi Lurch and welcome to WB :cool:

Lurch
06-01-20, 01:20 AM
Thanks.

I could do with hibernating through the summer, winter is fine by me.

As the CBR is back on the road, I figured I'd get a video of the ignition in action. The sensor will read the chip through my hand, with gloves on too, which is a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWMw0WXRpFQ

BB
06-01-20, 08:43 AM
Wow, I obviously didn't read your post about the ignition properly, that is an amazing trick 'yea, I can turn my bike on with just a wave of my hand'. Would stop any friends borrowing it although you would still have the key for back up I assume. Is it re-programmable while in your hand or would you have to have it removed/reprogrammed/reinserted if you changed a bike? How do you turn the bike off? Kill switch? Can't be another wave of hand as that could be a bit exciting if done accidentally while mobile!

Lurch
06-01-20, 09:57 AM
The chip in my hand isn't programmable, it's essentially a key that the ignition system is programmed to accept, the m-lock can accept three keys. The system comes with a master key, which is used to add keys to the system and to remove them, and one key fob, available separately is a chip in a glass vial so it can be sewn in to gloves. I have the original key fob for when I drop the bike off for the MOT. If I were to sell the bike with the M-lock, running the master key past the sensor clears the keys assigned to it, so I could just clear the keys and reassign the key fob. It is another wave past the sensor, the key fob has a slightly longer range than the implant, but it's just 4-5cm, compared to up to 1cm for the implant. I was messing with the 125 and found that when the bike is running, you can turn the ignition off, and the bike will continue to run until you hit the kill switch, at which point the bike is then off.