PDA

View Full Version : NEC Bike show

wiltshire builders
19-11-18, 10:57 AM
Popped up to the NEC yesterday to check out the new metal and get some new boots and a back protector for the wife.
Thought it was much better than the last few years although you can tell the big manufacturers are still watching the pennies.
Gone are the days of models in lycra handing out freebies that you actually want. These days you're lucky if you get a free pen.
I did get to test ride the Honda Africa Twin on the off road adventure stand. It was surprisingly nimble for such a big bike.
(Be warned: if you want to ride anything, they have a zero tolerance for alcohol)
If you pre pay parking you save £6.
Bike of the day for me was the CCM Flat tracker although at £10,000 for a bike that only produces 55bhp from a prehistoric bmw single is a bit much. Luckily they're all sold out so I can't be tempted.
Managed to save £50 on some Alpinestars SMX plus boots and £30 on a Knox back protector so all in all t'was a good day.

Trev
19-11-18, 12:32 PM
Thanks WB, I'm going on Wednesday in the van with my lad, hoping for some kit bargains (new helmet for him, jacket for his girfriend, some winter gloves for me to replace the ones he borrowed!) + service bits and bobs, coupe of optimisers, cleaning fluid, etc.
Glad you enjoyed the AT, have had mine (DCT) for just over year now and, when I've not ridden it for a while, it always amazes me with just how competent it is in almost every situation. Not done much off raod on it though (dry, easy green lanes only) as it's still a bit of lump and I have road biased tyres on it.

wiltshire builders
19-11-18, 01:03 PM
Thanks WB, I'm going on Wednesday in the van with my lad, hoping for some kit bargains (new helmet for him, jacket for his girfriend, some winter gloves for me to replace the ones he borrowed!) + service bits and bobs, coupe of optimisers, cleaning fluid, etc.
Glad you enjoyed the AT, have had mine (DCT) for just over year now and, when I've not ridden it for a while, it always amazes me with just how competent it is in almost every situation. Not done much off raod on it though (dry, easy green lanes only) as it's still a bit of lump and I have road biased tyres on it.

Blimey! Sounds like you'll need the van.
Be sure to shop around. You'd think that all the stands would be similarly priced but they varied wildly.

I had the chance to ride the DCT but bottled it. I'm not very good at embracing change. Really wish I'd ridden it now though.

Trev
19-11-18, 04:25 PM
Blimey! Sounds like you'll need the van.
Be sure to shop around. You'd think that all the stands would be similarly priced but they varied wildly.

I had the chance to ride the DCT but bottled it. I'm not very good at embracing change. Really wish I'd ridden it now though.

If you've got one of those 'ride a mates bike' insurance policies then you can try mine out sometime, doesn't make us mates though : )

BB
19-11-18, 05:11 PM
If you've got one of those 'ride a mates bike' insurance policies then you can try mine out sometime, doesn't make us mates though :)

;)

wiltshire builders
19-11-18, 06:23 PM
If you've got one of those 'ride a mates bike' insurance policies then you can try mine out sometime, doesn't make us mates though : )

I'm fully comp on any bike so Sounds good to me.
You can have a go on mine too but riding it means we're best mates forever!

Wes
19-11-18, 07:39 PM
Sounds goid, we are heading up there on Sunday, leave us a few bargains Trev :)

shiftyblake
20-11-18, 12:29 PM
Loved the show too. Rode up Saturday. Gone was the big 💩 market section of cheap questionable clothing. Brought some BigEar moulded ear plugs and gloves for my battery packs. Didn’t see any stands for cameras though which was disappointing. Yes the CCM Spitfire was great. The Chinese stuff was 💩.

Badger-Roy
20-11-18, 12:55 PM
The Chinese stuff was .
Virtually everything on the market is Chinese in one way or the other now so it can't all be sh1t.

wiltshire builders
20-11-18, 02:49 PM
Loved the show too. Rode up Saturday. Gone was the big 💩 market section of cheap questionable clothing. Brought some BigEar moulded ear plugs and gloves for my battery packs. Didn’t see any stands for cameras though which was disappointing. Yes the CCM Spitfire was great. The Chinese stuff was 💩.

I recently bought the new gopro hero to go snorkelling with. The qualty is fantastic and it is waterproof up to 10m or 30m with the housing.
The only downside is the touch screen is fiddly and the battery life isn't great.

shiftyblake
20-11-18, 08:54 PM
I’m just not a fan of the Chinese bikes...

shiftyblake
20-11-18, 08:56 PM
Yes I would like one to replace my ghost 👻 as I have had two drift ghosts and both lasted 13 months just outside warranty. But there battery life was awesome and they were less bulky. So GoPro it is...

Dazr
20-11-18, 10:09 PM
Went up last Saturday, thought it was better than last year. Seemed a little smaller but good number of bikes to look at, also managed to book tickets and parking before the start which save a bit.

Trev
21-11-18, 08:40 AM
I'm fully comp on any bike so Sounds good to me.
You can have a go on mine too but riding it means we're best mates forever!

ha ha, that's fine, I've sort of given up the crouchy fast things due to lack of neck mobility, talent and balls ; )

WR6133
21-11-18, 08:13 PM
I've sort of given up the crouchy fast things

That 1100 must feel neglected then...... if you ever need her kept warm let me know ;)

Trev
22-11-18, 01:06 PM
That 1100 must feel neglected then...... if you ever need her kept warm let me know ;)

Haven't ridden it all year, only took the thou out a few times :(

I'm going to get my local guy to go right through the 11 and make it a shiny, sunny day show toy so it may end up just something for me to polish. May also keep the thou permanently off the road as well and restrict my thrills to sub 120 - kmh of course :rolleyes:

WR6133
22-11-18, 08:06 PM
May also keep the thou permanently off the road as well and restrict my thrills to sub 120 - kmh of course :rolleyes:

I've been having similar thoughts about my thou, not as extreme as permanently off the road but use it alot less. I think I've got a bit desensitised to the speed/power and find myself doing dumb **** on it far too often. I want an Enfield or something similar for a while but HRH won't let me get another bike currently and I can't bring myself to sell any of the current ones.

We should go for a ride sometime, it's been far too long.

Trev
24-11-18, 09:50 PM
I've been having similar thoughts about my thou, not as extreme as permanently off the road but use it alot less. I think I've got a bit desensitised to the speed/power and find myself doing dumb **** on it far too often. I want an Enfield or something similar for a while but HRH won't let me get another bike currently and I can't bring myself to sell any of the current ones.

We should go for a ride sometime, it's been far too long.

Yeah let's do that, it's been over year at least. I'm about weekend after next, not sure about next week as company Christmas do and my have a sore head ; )