PDA

View Full Version : Tyre fitting prices

Badger-Roy
03-10-18, 08:00 PM
I was chatting to a mate who lives 150+ miles away and happened to say I needed a tyre fitting and the place I go to charges £30 + vat per tyre (£36) and he damn near fell over in shock as his local garage charges £20 all in.
Am i being robbed or is his local just very cheap?
what prices do you pay for fitting when you supply the tyre?

GezTheHealer
03-10-18, 08:06 PM
I need to get a new front tyre supplied and fitted, beard there is somewhere in Melksham, interested to hear who uses who nearby for tyres.

Cheers

Trev_P
03-10-18, 09:51 PM
Wiltshire Tyres in Melsham are pretty good with their ride in ride out, tyre prices are inclusive of fitting, balancing etc. not sure what they charge for fitting only if you supply your own tyre(s) worth a phone call

I need to get a new front tyre supplied and fitted, beard there is somewhere in Melksham, interested to hear who uses who nearby for tyres.

Cheers

WR6133
03-10-18, 10:06 PM
£15-20 fitted and balanced on loose wheels

GezTheHealer
03-10-18, 11:29 PM
Cheers guys :)

Badger-Roy
04-10-18, 07:58 AM
My price ant that far out then as I tend to ride in ride out rather than take the wheels of myself.

Mitch9128
04-10-18, 09:44 AM
I think CMC want £35 on a loose wheel, rip off, as the part worn place only charges £10 to remove, balance/new valve, and refit my own bought new tyres for the car, market forces and all that shiz.

Wes
04-10-18, 08:36 PM
I always fit and balance my own tyres, its not that difficult when you know how to mate.

Badger-Roy
04-10-18, 08:49 PM
I always fit and balance my own tyres, its not that difficult when you know how to mate.
The thing is im very good on the theory but not so good on the practical side of things, im one of those blokes who buys LOTS of tools to make up for the fact I only really know how to use the hammer :o (not really that bad but you get my drift :) ).
Rather strangely though give me a 200 year old clock and il completely strip it down and rebuild it without a problem.

Wes
04-10-18, 09:36 PM
Have a go mate, or the next time Im doing a tyre change you are welcome to pop over and see how its done :)

Badger-Roy
04-10-18, 09:47 PM
Have a go mate, or the next time Im doing a tyre change you are welcome to pop over and see how its done :)
Cheers I might take you up on that. Just looking on YouTube at some videos of changing them and it don't look to bad to be honest, think il see about getting an old wheel and tyre and practicing on it, that way if I bugger it up its not the end of the world.

Wes
05-10-18, 05:57 AM
Theres a few that use zip ties rather than tyre levers, this is better if you have expensive wheels, plus you can re use the ties rather than just cutting them off .

Scotty
06-10-18, 05:59 PM
Jaydee would fit tyres to loose wheels for a kebab...

With the right kit it’s quite straightforward, and road bike wheels are robust enough, unlike Dymag race wheels that I’ve witnessed rims bending when subjected to ham-fisted tyre lever use...

wheelers
10-10-18, 03:35 PM
I used to charge £20 per wheel, thats removing from bike and replacing all done. including balance, new valve and disposal of old tyres.
that along with places like M&P undercutting the price of the tyres to below the actual cost we can buy them for means its not worth us doing tyres.
while out the wheel bearings and pads were checked, Ive known places have to remove calipers to get wheel out and not torque back up again. the old Triumph 955 series were a pain as if left the eccentric bush corroded into the swing arm, could take a couple of hours to get out. time you cant charge for.
on the other hand, this week a pair of budget tyres for my spare car cost £86 all in.