PDA

View Full Version : MoT Failure?

fragglepete
09-04-18, 08:36 AM
A few weeks ago, I pulled the VFR out of hibernation and would appear I didn't clean it well enough. The front brakes were essentially seized. I've since managed to free things up, removed the calipers, allowed the pistons to come out a bit and given everthing a good clean up with some brake cleaning fluid, scrub with toothbrush, etc. All appears well again, bike stops as it should etc, however, on closer inspection it would appear one of the front discs didn't take too kindly being mated to the disc over the period and is pitted in one small area. See the attached thumbnail.

Would this get through an MoT? - obviously I think I'm going to have to replace it at some point, but on reading up on MoT specs would suggest pitting would not fail an MoT, only if the disc is considered structurally compromised. However, piece of mind and all that but at £120 per disc I'm somewhat annoyed at myself.

Thoughts?

Pete

Burbler
09-04-18, 10:27 AM
Brake disc scoring, pitting or wear is a possible failure. In the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Don't know the guide lines but suck it and see. Be prepared for a walletodectomy.

Badger-Roy
09-04-18, 10:36 AM
Iv had a lot worse pass with no advisories but then with bits like that it really does seem to depend on wether the tester is in a good mood or not. Personally though with that tiny bit of pitting on an otherwise healthy disc if it failed I'd argue the toss as realistically it wouldn't make any difference to the bikes stopping ability.

DC
09-04-18, 10:37 AM
l. an excessively scored, excessively pitted orexcessively worn brake disc . Section 3.2 L Stated in the Mot Inspection Manual . By my understanding if that amount of pitting doesn't affect the brake's performance , which it shouldn't , it'll be okay . But then I'm not an MOT inspector . Could you send that image to your inspector and ask them .

fragglepete
09-04-18, 10:48 AM
I appreciate the responses. It's not due until end of July, so I'll try and enjoy it (if it stops raining) and possibly start saving - hopefully it'll be ok.

Pete

Last Train
09-04-18, 10:56 AM
I concur with t’others :)

Might well be ok as it doesn’t look too bad.

DC
09-04-18, 11:02 AM
I appreciate the responses. It's not due until end of July, so I'll try and enjoy it (if it stops raining) and possibly start saving - hopefully it'll be ok.

Pete

By the end of July ( If this weather gives us a break ! ) you'll have shaved a few microns off that disc , diminishing the current state of that pitting slightly , just make sure you keep that disc well greased up to prevent further corrosion .................:)

Badger-Roy
09-04-18, 11:38 AM
By the end of July ( If this weather gives us a break ! ) you'll have shaved a few microns off that disc , diminishing the current state of that pitting slightly , just make sure you keep that disc well greased up to prevent further corrosion .................:)
Yeah I alway put a good coating of copper grease in my discs to keep them from wearing or sticking ;).
(Legal disclaimer: this is a JOKE. Do not repeat DO NOT do it, just say NO).
seriously though put few hundred miles on the bike before July and brake heavier than noramal and what pitting isn't worn down will get filled with brake dust, doubt it'll be noticeable.

Wes
09-04-18, 05:43 PM
I've had that happen to me as well, was quite a bit worse tho, made the braking really judder as it kept biting more on the pitted area. Just go with it and see if it sorts itself out.

fragglepete
16-07-18, 09:51 PM
Well.... today the bike went in for it's MoT…. the result.... Passed with No Advisories!!!! :)

Fun meter stays pegged to high for the duration of the Summer!

Time to start buying in stuff for it's service next month.

Pete

DC
16-07-18, 10:01 PM
Proper job , good news Pete :cool:

BB
16-07-18, 10:08 PM
Result :cool:

Burbler
16-07-18, 10:10 PM
Brakes ?? Just stop using them, they will last for ages.