PDA

View Full Version : Gasket removal .

DC
17-03-18, 04:41 PM
I'm supposed to be in the garage trying to remove the old gasket from the alternator cover , but it's mind numbingly soul destroying . Tips and tricks for softening and removing baked and brittle gasket , any offers ?

Badger-Roy
17-03-18, 04:51 PM
I'm supposed to be in the garage trying to remove the old gasket from the alternator cover , but it's mind numbingly soul destroying . Tips and tricks for softening and removing baked and brittle gasket , any offers ?
Iv had some success using a nylon drill attachment before, I once used a chemical (can't remember the name) which worked but it marked the engine horribly where it run down. Scotchbrite pads work pretty well.

DC
17-03-18, 05:00 PM
Cheers Roy , I've got scotchbrite pads etc , I was hoping it would just miraculously lift off :) I'm putting it off cos it'c a tad chilly in there and not really the place to be crawling around on my hands and knees . I think sitting here in the warm in front of the laptop doing bugger all is a much better use of my time .

Burbler
17-03-18, 05:34 PM
Wood chisel and hammer works.

Wes
17-03-18, 05:40 PM
Its a bit of a nightmare to get off, I think I used a flat bladed craft knife to get as much as I could removed

Last Train
17-03-18, 05:51 PM
One of life’s great ‘pig of a job’ that.

DC
17-03-18, 06:17 PM
Cheers chaps , yep , absolute pig of a job , about as satisfying as removing wallpaper with a toothbrush ! Job Done , Stanley blade and scotchbrite pad . I don't know why they don't use rubber gaskets . It's used on the cam cover , a smear of oil on each side and on removal it just peels away .

Mitch9128
19-03-18, 08:01 AM
I have an old metal ruler for such tasks.

DC
19-03-18, 11:14 AM
I have an old metal ruler for such tasks.

:cool:

wheelers
21-03-18, 09:36 PM
been in France for a few days.
couple of things I use are a long flat blade so as to keep the possibility of hollowing an area of the face.
sometimes meths works otherwise Loctite do a product called 'gasket remover' aerosol cans but expensive.

DC
21-03-18, 09:55 PM
been in France for a few days.
couple of things I use are a long flat blade so as to keep the possibility of hollowing an area of the face.
sometimes meths works otherwise Loctite do a product called 'gasket remover' aerosol cans but expensive.

Thanks for the post :cool:

Badger-Roy
21-03-18, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the post :cool:
1 more to go DC :)