PDA

View Full Version : Oil and filter change .

DC
10-03-18, 06:03 PM
Did an oil and filter change today , went to pick up some oil this morning and it came in a wine box ! . Press the cardboard tab down and pull out the spout . Really naff design , the spout isn't close enough to the edge of the box so when you tip back the container to slow down or stop filling the oil runs over the box . Ended up pulling the bag out of the box and pouring it straight from the bag after decanting 500ml into a measuring jug as you don't know how much is actually going into the engine . What a faff !

They call it the Lube Cube and apparently it has Anti-Glug Technology !:rolleyes: The marketing dept really went to town with this one .

I suppose it's a good idea as far as recycling goes though , cardboard box and a plastic bag . The packaging claims it's 98% recyclable

Has anyone else come across these yet ? It's the first time I've seen it and think this will be common practice now the Chinese are no longer handling our plastic waste .

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5cHXfcXJjb0fbGsdyC0UVeVpm4HNq4T6Yvx9WtgmGxAK_K0r6z EntFDQ7IpdG22FtpS28uFgZrrLZRj4Eb2nPq2MwZMHE_deYah8 RSXDKFCSAQCSONPKu2IbW531WNTM6v6e1JLa-AzBcAIJcr7cl-sq4fe4npqGsPMhvoUrBztgLsbpA2e5KNj8xPytswbfiuuWrPXj PjaPzOttu-OOiPpzqti711b0DupIAxymtPY44Yz2uPIm4t5aYTOpCSvEFsyS LgWuMq6yTdkLpvy7DJLyyGgzwEYJdM9V4N13SYyY7P35NmYofI Z1hUGc1j4HCP_WwKODs7eUoQT3QK3XuhoOlWTxT1XsElf0Earm MzBLz4TwdPtlOxli1uIUqlJ5kF-oXh-lZQ5ig7xMSqn0jXPTnio4sqe1fuu2ycFNWUHj2Km5YcwWxI5zb RxHFq8JmCvKFPuU4FbTxc9emD_HRVuf64szwDLVX-iVEODdzWxaV9R5mlI5IuhWXLl5hN19FaA6s1oAWCFwKJ55xGnh BjYI1vW1qAVKYOhQa4wEg746cmD5OO4_qk3ZRcGIB-mTQSwC9HJ8oE_T9XPvSGzkzYFDNBMtbe-g68qFtXY=w1080-h608-no

Trev
10-03-18, 06:22 PM
Yup I picked up three of those at the bike show in November for a very good price, have to say I usually decant into a measuring jug first as I like to know pretty accurately what I've put in my bikes as some aren't easy to check the level - the Enfield being particularly ridiculous.

Badger-Roy
10-03-18, 07:42 PM
Seems like a case of trying to reinvent the wheel to me. To be honest I buy my oil in a 20l container and decant it into a measuring jug as I need it. It's a bigger outlay but works out a fair bit cheaper in the long run. I do the same with wd40, 5L bottle for £19.99 rather than £1.99 per 100m can, basically works out you get 4l free :).

DC
10-03-18, 08:31 PM
Seems like a case of trying to reinvent the wheel to me. To be honest I buy my oil in a 20l container and decant it into a measuring jug as I need it. It's a bigger outlay but works out a fair bit cheaper in the long run. I do the same with wd40, 5L bottle for £19.99 rather than £1.99 per 100m can, basically works out you get 4l free :).

What sort of oil are you using , and where are you managing to get it in 20 L containers ?

Dazr
10-03-18, 08:34 PM
It does sound like a lot of hassle for anti-glug, i would have done the same as you decant into a jug. Its a job i need to do on my bike, was thinking should i have a run out on the bike first after winter hibernation then change or just change before starting.

DC
10-03-18, 08:45 PM
It does sound like a lot of hassle for anti-glug, i would have done the same as you decant into a jug. Its a job i need to do on my bike, was thinking should i have a run out on the bike first after winter hibernation then change or just change before starting.

Some reckon it's best to drain cold if the bike's been sat for a while , the logic being that more of the old oil will have worked it's way down to the sump . I prefer to run the bike for a few minutes , get it warmed up which gives everything inside a good rinse . let it cool a little , undo the drain plug and walk away for an hour .

Badger-Roy
10-03-18, 08:53 PM
What sort of oil are you using , and where are you managing to get it in 20 L containers ?
I buy this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Semi-Synthetic-10W-40-10W40-Motorcycle-Oil-4-Stroke-JASO-MA2-10W-40-/121670133634?hash=item1c541ae782 it's cheap and cheerful but iv used it for years and not got a bad word to say about it. I was put on to it by the bloke that does work on my bikes, Its cheap enough that i do oil changes every 1500-2000 miles. Iv used it in bikes from a 125cc up to my zzr1100 (which gets ragged senseless) and it performs as good as any other gloop iv ever used.

DC
10-03-18, 08:57 PM
I buy this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-Semi-Synthetic-10W-40-10W40-Motorcycle-Oil-4-Stroke-JASO-MA2-10W-40-/121670133634?hash=item1c541ae782 it's cheap and cheerful but iv used it for years and not got a bad word to say about it. I was put on to it by the bloke that does work on my bikes, Its cheap enough that i do oil changes every 1500-2000 miles. Iv used it in bikes from a 125cc up to my zzr1100 (which gets ragged senseless) and it performs as good as any other gloop iv ever used.

Cheers ! :cool:

Badger-Roy
10-03-18, 08:58 PM
Cheers ! :cool:
👍

Dazr
10-03-18, 09:06 PM
Some reckon it's best to drain cold if the bike's been sat for a while , the logic being that more of the old oil will have worked it's way down to the sump . I prefer to run the bike for a few minutes , get it warmed up which gives everything inside a good rinse . let it cool a little , undo the drain plug and walk away for an hour .

Thanks will do the what you do as that makes sense, and like the idea of leaving it a good while like an hour. Thanks for the info.

DC
10-03-18, 09:11 PM
Thanks will do the what you do as that makes sense, and like the idea of leaving it a good while like an hour. Thanks for the info.

There's air in there and if it's been sat for a while with temperature fluctuations , condensation occurs . I always feel it benefits from a bit of a warm up .

Dazr
10-03-18, 09:54 PM
There's air in there and if it's been sat for a while with temperature fluctuations , condensation occurs . I always feel it benefits from a bit of a warm up .

Need thought of condensation within the engine. A warm up first then drain out the oil. Thanks

Burbler
11-03-18, 08:10 AM
I have found that replacing the drain plug before refilling with £35 worth of oil is a good idea.

BB
11-03-18, 08:30 AM
I have found that replacing the drain plug before refilling with £35 worth of oil is a good idea.

Er, yes. :eek:

Last Train
11-03-18, 08:46 AM

Ha ha :D

I’m in the process of swapping out the steering head bearings on my S1.

Got any insightful hints or tips to help me along ?

Scotty
11-03-18, 10:18 AM
I buy oil in bulk (20lt. drums) from Opie Oils - their sales guy posts on a number of forums (including SWB) as “Oilman” to advise of any special offers they have and as stated previously I do the same and decant into 5lt containers to administer it. An old empty 20lt drum is useful for collecting old oil and periodically taking it to the tip for recycling.

Burbler
11-03-18, 10:28 AM
I’m in the process of swapping out the steering head bearings on my S1.

Got any insightful hints or tips to help me along ?

Sure do - get someone else to test ride it when you've done it.

DC
11-03-18, 10:31 AM
I buy oil in bulk (20lt. drums) from Opie Oils - their sales guy posts on a number of forums (including SWB) as “Oilman” to advise of any special offers they have and as stated previously I do the same and decant into 5lt containers to administer it. An old empty 20lt drum is useful for collecting old oil and periodically taking it to the tip for recycling.

Thanks for the pointer , I'll check SWB . I did see Opie Oils sell Silkolene through Amazon but it was as pricey as buying it in 4L packs

Burbler
11-03-18, 11:51 AM
Mention SWB to get a discount. He can be pricey though. Will give advice willingly and knowledgeably.

Only thing that I've bought from there was 3 plugs.

Last Train
11-03-18, 01:17 PM
Sure do - get someone else to test ride it when you've done it.

I hadn't considered that....

Noted, thankyou ;)