PDA

View Full Version : Insurance - Thoughts....

Dazr
04-03-18, 09:32 PM
My insurance is up for renewal this month, done a couple of comparison sites and Bennetts seem to be cheaper than my current insurer Bikesure.

Any thoughts on Bennetts insurance, i assume they are all pretty much the same. Trying to decide whether to have legal assistance and Leather / helmet cover this year.

Badger-Roy
04-03-18, 09:54 PM
My insurance is up for renewal this month, done a couple of comparison sites and Bennetts seem to be cheaper than my current insurer Bikesure.

Any thoughts on Bennetts insurance, i assume they are all pretty much the same. Trying to decide whether to have legal assistance and Leather / helmet cover this year.
iv got all my bikes insured with Bennetts. They offered my a multibike policy to insure them all on 1 policy but it only worked out about £45 cheaper and its a pain updating it if you sell a bike with a multibike policy so Iv just got separate policy's for each, (got lotsa meerkats ;)) Personally Iv got no complaints and never had anything but good experiences with them. Relatively good prices and the call center staff seem well informed and keen to help, only niggle is you can't change things online and have to ring them.
Bike-sure however wouldn't get my money if they was the only bike insurer on the planet after my last experience with them (I changed a bike on the policy and dispite them sending me a new updated insurance certificate with the new bike details on it they didn't update it with the underwriter so technically I was riding uninsured for 6 months, I only found out when I tried retaxing it and it showed up as uninsured).

Dazr
04-03-18, 10:01 PM
Hi Badgerroy
Thanks for the response will call Bennetts this week to make sure what the price is right. One of my pet hates is they ask what mods, like different seat on mine and levers. I am sure it just so they can charge you more...

Thanks again.

Badger-Roy
04-03-18, 10:14 PM
I am sure it just so they can charge you more...
without a doubt it is, vehicle insurance is the biggest racket on the planet, they got you over a barrel as they know you have to buy their product. There's loads of insurance company's selling insurance but actually very few underwriters setting the prices.

Chicky
05-03-18, 07:25 AM
I'm with Bennetts simply because they came out cheapest. Not had to claim though... I also don't use their multi-bike policy as my insurances were due at different times.

I wanted to use the new Mackenzie Hodgson company, but they were not even slightly competitive on price.

Badger-Roy
05-03-18, 07:52 AM
I'm with Bennetts simply because they came out cheapest. Not had to claim though... I also don't use their multi-bike policy as my insurances were due at different times.

I wanted to use the new Mackenzie Hodgson company, but they were not even slightly competitive on price.
If you look at the small print Mackenzie-Hodgson insurance is just another name for Carole Nash insurance brokers, all policy's are set up,handled and administered by Carole Nash brokers on behalf of a 3rd party insurance company. Basically they have paid a couple of biker friendly faces to put their names to a new company that will attract bikers. End result is your now paying for the underwriters fee,the insurance company's fee, Carole Nash's brokers fee and Mackenzie-hodgsons brokers fee.

Arek
05-03-18, 08:18 AM
I'm with Bennets for for over 2 years now. No complains, but didn't had any claim. They are reasonably cheap (I was able to find better deals on Comparethemarket). But they allowing a lot of mods as standard include in price. My previous Kawasaki had not stock exhaust, changed brake hoses, top box and 3rd party windscreen. No difference and when you check with them, all above is in standard policy.

Dazr
05-03-18, 04:52 PM
Thanks all will be giving Bennetts a call later, did phone Bikesure today and somehow without to much trouble they reduced the cost by £48. Then asked do you want to proceed now, i said no will get a few more quotes first.
Its one of my pet hates if they can reduce it when you call them, then why not just offer the best price to start with.....grrrrrr.....

Badger-Roy
05-03-18, 05:05 PM
Only thing I have found with bennetts is there fees seem quite high, £50 to cancel a policy and £32 for any other adjustment. I'm not sure how that compares with other company's though.

DC
05-03-18, 05:39 PM
Thanks all will be giving Bennetts a call later, did phone Bikesure today and somehow without to much trouble they reduced the cost by £48. Then asked do you want to proceed now, i said no will get a few more quotes first.
Its one of my pet hates if they can reduce it when you call them, then why not just offer the best price to start with.....grrrrrr.....

They're shrewd , they get what they can ! I read a Which article 20 years ago that advised ringing a handful of insurers , knock 15-20% off the lowest quote and choose any one of them from your list and they would beat it .

Wes
05-03-18, 06:12 PM
I always use Carole Nash, the policy is really good as it includes a get you home recovery service, and legal cover

Dazr
05-03-18, 06:42 PM
Well thanks all for your advice but have stuck with Bikesure in the end. The cheapest quotes were between Bikesure and Bennetts, after calling Bikesure managed to get it down to £289 with excess of £500. Bennetts were a little higher, £512 with excess of £800 no choice really. The adviser did say that it was down to the underwriter, thats what Badgerroy did say only a few underwriters out there.

Thanks again all for the advice.

Wes
05-03-18, 09:17 PM
Glad you have it sorted, 500 excess.... ouch! what bike is it for mate?

Dazr
05-03-18, 09:34 PM
Glad you have it sorted, 500 excess.... ouch! what bike is it for mate?

Yes excess is high but not as high £800!!!! Its a KTM Superduke 1290 R. Perhaps my next bike should be a moped.....

Wes
05-03-18, 09:51 PM
Nice bike there mate, seen one at Portimao circuit and it was flying round, very impressive

Dazr
05-03-18, 10:03 PM
Nice bike there mate, seen one at Portimao circuit and it was flying round, very impressive

Thanks only got it last October, and managed just 4 ride outs. Cannot wait for spring to arrive.

fragglepete
17-03-18, 07:19 PM
Just had my renewal through for this year. Bennetts would be competitive if it wasn't for the £18 arrangement fee!!!! I mean, wtf? Stay as a loyal customer and we'll charge you £18 for the privilege, or as a new customer it'll be cheaper!

Grrrr....

Pete

Badger-Roy
17-03-18, 09:36 PM
Just had my renewal through for this year. Bennetts would be competitive if it wasn't for the £18 arrangement fee!!!! I mean, wtf? Stay as a loyal customer and we'll charge you £18 for the privilege, or as a new customer it'll be cheaper!

Grrrr....

Pete
Just go onto compare the market and get a quote as a new customer, Iv been with bennetts for years but always start a new policy each year from a price comparison site which makes me a new customer thus getting the discount. I was advised to do that by a very helpful young lady from bennetts own customer service. The only thing insurance company's give you for loyalty is a higher premium.

Burbler
17-03-18, 09:52 PM
Tiz true.

I'd been with one company for 5 yrs then they put my premium up by 45%. Since then I've had to change both for the car and the bike EVERY year.

No ref to claims or NCD or age or anything else. Just up the price and hope the idiot pays it.

I now try several comparison sites on every renewal.

Rang on (recommended) company direct and after 10 mins of questions, they quoted 2½ times other quotes.

It's all a nonsense.

Burbler
17-03-18, 09:53 PM
Another time, I added a pillion, upped from 6000 miles to 8000 and the price went DOWN !

fragglepete
17-03-18, 10:09 PM
Believe me, I'm doing the usual merry dance at the moment - trying to work out the best deal.

Just tried the same with The AA today, every year I manage to get the cost of the cover down to the same as a new customer but this year they couldn't do it. Oh well, 11 years as a Gold AA Member means nothing to them so looking to go elsewhere, or as a new customer in my wifes name.

Just a ball ache really.

Pete

Badger-Roy
17-03-18, 10:22 PM
Believe me, I'm doing the usual merry dance at the moment - trying to work out the best deal.

Just tried the same with The AA today, every year I manage to get the cost of the cover down to the same as a new customer but this year they couldn't do it. Oh well, 11 years as a Gold AA Member means nothing to them so looking to go elsewhere, or as a new customer in my wifes name.

Just a ball ache really.

Pete
i swap from the AA to the RAC every other year and get the new customer discount each time. Or if your set on staying with the AA cancel your cover then rejoin after 28 days as a new customer and get the discount.

Badger-Roy
17-03-18, 10:28 PM
Another time, I added a pillion, upped from 6000 miles to 8000 and the price went DOWN !
I added my wife to my policy as a learner driver a few years ago and the price went down, work that one out, Iv been driving for 25 years+ in cars,bikes, vans and HGVs and putting my wife as a named driver dropped the price.

fragglepete
09-04-18, 10:57 AM
After much searching around, the renewal with Bennetts even with the 'renewal fee' worked out about the same as everyone else as it included their full cover packages (breakdown, personal accident, legal, helmet & leather). So, I just let it renewal.... or so I thought! The CC number they had was one that was replaced and I didn't realise. So, got a text from them yesterday stating they couldn't get payment. Panic phone call, new card details given and cover sorted (open on a Sunday - nice). Had a lucky escape as I didn't attend the ride out after all so potentially could have been riding without insurance that day! However, I did notice the e-mail from Bennetts asking them to call urgently did state they continued the policy regardless so I don't risk having my bike seized with this running for a couple of weeks. So, Kudos to Bennetts for having such a system where I wouldn't show us uninsured, but makes me wonder if I did have an accident yesterday morning they would use this as an excuse not to pay out. Still. Sorted now.

Pete

Dazr
09-04-18, 08:46 PM
After much searching around, the renewal with Bennetts even with the 'renewal fee' worked out about the same as everyone else as it included their full cover packages (breakdown, personal accident, legal, helmet & leather). So, I just let it renewal.... or so I thought! The CC number they had was one that was replaced and I didn't realise. So, got a text from them yesterday stating they couldn't get payment. Panic phone call, new card details given and cover sorted (open on a Sunday - nice). Had a lucky escape as I didn't attend the ride out after all so potentially could have been riding without insurance that day! However, I did notice the e-mail from Bennetts asking them to call urgently did state they continued the policy regardless so I don't risk having my bike seized with this running for a couple of weeks. So, Kudos to Bennetts for having such a system where I wouldn't show us uninsured, but makes me wonder if I did have an accident yesterday morning they would use this as an excuse not to pay out. Still. Sorted now.

Pete

Good that you have it sorted and perhaps a lesson to be learnt if we just let the renewal run.