PDA

View Full Version : VIN advice

Badger-Roy
03-03-18, 11:16 AM
My Kawasaki zl600A was imported from the states in 1995 and states it was manufactured in 1988 (according to logbook)and is plated as E reg, however on the VIN plate on the bike it clearly says it's a 1986 bike and the age digit of the VIN (G) backs this up. Should I contact DVLA to have it changed or is it not worth the hassle?

BugsyB
03-03-18, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't bother with the DVLA. It could be a can of worms and you'd possibly end up having to retrace the history in the States, as the statements made at import were maybe incorrect. Possibly it hung around in a bike shop in the States and was registered in 1988? You just need to be upfront and make sure that you tell anyone who buys it. Making a false statement when selling something is a problem.

Badger-Roy
03-03-18, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't bother with the DVLA. It could be a can of worms and you'd possibly end up having to retrace the history in the States, as the statements made at import were maybe incorrect. Possibly it hung around in a bike shop in the States and was registered in 1988? You just need to be upfront and make sure that you tell anyone who buys it. Making a false statement when selling something is a problem.
Yeah I did suspect the can of worms thing. You could well be right with it hanging around for a while in a shop actually as I used to work for Vauxhall 20+ years ago and some large dealers brought a 20-30 cars at a time to get a big discount and registered them as and when they sold them, should have thought of that myself but the worry monster was befuddling my brain 😀. Cheers.👍

WR6133
03-03-18, 12:13 PM
DVLA and accuracy on grey imports isn't worth bothering about. My GSXR K1 is an import first registration from new in Canada should put it on a 51 plate. DVLA gave it a Y plate but the V5 then says it's a K2 (2002) which would be an 02 plate (it's a K1 not K2 though).

ZZR400 (also a grey) had a similar level of farce on the V5.

Badger-Roy
03-03-18, 02:57 PM
DVLA and accuracy on grey imports isn't worth bothering about. My GSXR K1 is an import first registration from new in Canada should put it on a 51 plate. DVLA gave it a Y plate but the V5 then says it's a K2 (2002) which would be an 02 plate (it's a K1 not K2 though).

ZZR400 (also a grey) had a similar level of farce on the V5.
Hurts ya head don't not it lol. I think il just put the v5 back in the folder and forget about it 😏

BB
03-03-18, 03:52 PM
Hurts ya head don't not it lol. I think il just put the v5 back in the folder and forget about it 

My thoughts entirely :)

Kevin
25-06-20, 01:44 AM
This is a very useful thread, though it is pretty old. Thanks for sharing your opinions, guys! I'm thinking about buying a bike from the USA. To be honest, I was nerous and had doubts, but my friend persuaded me that this is a good choice. In order to avoid stolen bikes/cars, it is better to check the vin codes and the vehicles history. Today we have a great possibility to do this online. Personally I was lucky to find a comprehensive source (https://www.quickppsr.com.au/) that provided me with all necessary information.

Scotty
26-06-20, 02:33 PM
Intriguing Kevin - what are you looking at buying, c'mon spill the beans just a little.