PDA

View Full Version : Haynes on line manuals

njl
01-03-18, 12:15 PM
I was looking for a Haynes for the new watercooled twin Triumphs and it appears that there is now an online option, which at a glance looks to be a 1 year subscription. It's about 2/3rds of the price of rrp for hardcopy but if you have to pay again after 1st year might not be so good of a deal, unless you have a great memory for torque settings and valve clearances.

Has anyone experienced the online version? I suppose it could add video clips which might be a benefit to staring at a black and white picture and trying to figure out quite what the f£*k they did there.

I get the impression that the online type services don't let you download on masse and save which is a pity but savvy business by the publisher.

DC
01-03-18, 02:11 PM
Don't really know how the online version works , but if you could save and print it off , it would be very handy , but then you would have loads of A4 sheets that would need to be in a ring binder or similar . I'm into the book version and have two copies for a 2008 air cooled Bonneville , one for indoors that I can reference without it getting covered in S**T , and another copy that lives in the garage with the bike and don't mind it getting a bit lagged when I'm up to my elbows in it . I' also keep a small hardback notebook that I've written the most common Torque values in , so I can get that info without having to look through the Haynes .

If you want to spend some serious money , the Factory service manuals which are written by engineers who manufacture the bikes and can in some instances be more precise and specific than the Haynes .

One instance being , the cam lobe position for reading your clearance values that Haynes specifies is different to the Triumph Spec and gives you different values . I use the Haynes as a general guide and use the Triumph Rat Forum to iron out any anomalies , it's a wicked source of info .

Badger-Roy
01-03-18, 04:42 PM
I was looking for a Haynes for the new watercooled twin Triumphs and it appears that there is now an online option, which at a glance looks to be a 1 year subscription. It's about 2/3rds of the price of rrp for hardcopy but if you have to pay again after 1st year might not be so good of a deal, unless you have a great memory for torque settings and valve clearances.

Has anyone experienced the online version? I suppose it could add video clips which might be a benefit to staring at a black and white picture and trying to figure out quite what the f£*k they did there.

I get the impression that the online type services don't let you download on masse and save which is a pity but savvy business by the publisher.

Its £24.99 for a hard copy that you own till the end of days or £16.99 to borrow it for 1 year. It's a no brainier to me, hardcopy all the way. Or look on eBay and buy a used copy for a tenner, that's what I do but then I'm Scrooge mcduck ;).

BB
01-03-18, 05:34 PM
I'm with Badgerroy on this. :)

Dazr
01-03-18, 09:44 PM
Agree would rather have hard copy, like said you own it. Like the idea "Daddy Cool" of having two copies, such a good idea.

Wes
02-03-18, 07:56 AM
Hard copy is a much better option :)

DC
02-03-18, 11:51 AM
Agree would rather have hard copy, like said you own it. Like the idea "Daddy Cool" of having two copies, such a good idea.

:cool:

njl
03-03-18, 02:08 AM
I have to admit that having a clean and 'working' copy of the manual is pretty impressive. As I'm hard pushed to wash the bike more than 4 times a year I don't think I could get to that level.

Badger-Roy
03-03-18, 07:21 AM
I have to admit that having a clean and 'working' copy of the manual is pretty impressive. As I'm hard pushed to wash the bike more than 4 times a year I don't think I could get to that level.
I wash mine every time I use them Lol and polish them weekly (if there used or not). It's not unheard of for me to drop the back wheel out to clean the swing arm 😀. Strangely the car only gets cleaned when things start growing on/in it. As for the Haynes iv got 1 copy for each bike (apart from the zl600A as 1 doesn't seem to exsist for that) but I photo copy what I need and take that out to the garage.