PDA

View Full Version : Moto guzzi woes

Badger-Roy
23-02-18, 04:34 PM
I changed the oil and filter on my guzzi California today, who on earth designed it and decided to put the oil filter inside the engine. On most bikes an oil and filter change takes 15 mins tops, on the guzzi an hour and a half+. You have to drop the sump to get the filter out which takes 14 Allen bolts and 4 bolts, then you have to change 2 sump gaskets as for some reason the sumps in 2 bits. The gaskets alone cost me £26. Those Italians are mad. However all done now and loving the bike again ;).

Burbler
23-02-18, 04:38 PM
I changed the oil and filter on my guzzi California today, who on earth designed it and decided to put the oil filter inside the engine. On most bikes an oil and filter change takes 15 mins tops, on the guzzi an hour and a half+. You have to drop the sump to get the filter out which takes 14 Allen bolts and 4 bolts, then you have to change 2 sump gaskets as for some reason the sumps in 2 bits. The gaskets alone cost me £26. Those Italians are mad. However all done now and loving the bike again ;).

I 'spect the olive oil was 'spensive too.

BB
23-02-18, 06:30 PM

Top quality olive oil is! :cool:

Badger-Roy
23-02-18, 08:35 PM
To be honest everything that goes in the bloody thing has a mark up on it. I think olive oil woulda been cheaper.

wheelers
23-02-18, 08:53 PM
having said about the inner filter, how many people clean the sump filter inside when they do an oil change on Jap bikes.? its there for a reason like the screw on filters but often forgotten.

Trev
24-02-18, 12:53 PM
having said about the inner filter, how many people clean the sump filter inside when they do an oil change on Jap bikes.? its there for a reason like the screw on filters but often forgotten.

Damn good point, don't think I've ever done that on a Jap bike, must check the manual next time. The enfield has a (bloody small) paper filter and a gauze jobbie and two drain points and with loads of baffling it's pretty near impossible to get all the old oil out and then figure out how much to put back in

WR6133
24-02-18, 04:26 PM
don't think I've ever done that on a Jap bike

I looked at the one on the ZZR400 lump after I swapped in the 600. At 90k miles it had bugger all in it so I've since concluded there is no point.

Dazr
24-02-18, 09:50 PM
That sounds like a real job, imagine what they would have charged at the garage ..... eye watering price.