PDA

View Full Version : Zzr1100 shaking its head.

Badger-Roy
17-08-17, 08:46 PM
Hi, just picked up a lovely low mileage (22000) 1993 zzr1100D for peanuts. it goes like a stabbed rat. Its a lot of fun. What's not so much fun however is the vicious head shakeing under braking and if you take both hands of the bars, think bull riding and you get the idea. Tyres seem good if a bit old and no obvious clonking or movement in the forks or head. This is my 2nd zzr1100 and the other one didn't suffer from head shake at all.
Any ideas before I drop it in the garage and part with my hard earned?
cheers. Roy

DC
17-08-17, 09:41 PM
Forks or rear wheel out of alignment ?

Badger-Roy
17-08-17, 09:52 PM
The forks seem ok (not that iv done much more the poke and shake them). The rear wheel is good possibility though as iv not looked at that at all apart from checking tire pressures. Il check that in the morning and give an update. cheers

DC
17-08-17, 09:57 PM
The forks seem ok (not that iv done much more the poke and shake them). The rear wheel is good possibility though as iv not looked at that at all apart from checking tire pressures. Il check that in the morning and give an update. cheers

do the wheels have the balancing weights fitted ?
Check out this video ...........

https://youtu.be/pNEmOqY02EU

Badger-Roy
17-08-17, 10:56 PM
do the wheels have the balancing weights fitted ?
Check out this video ...........

https://youtu.be/pNEmOqY02EU

Yes it has the balancing weights fitted. That's a good video thanks and watching that reminded me that in the paperwork that came with the bike was a receipt from a couple of months back for a set of fork seals. I wonder if the bloke I brought the bike from fitted them himself and buggered up the refitting of the forks. I think a day of checking everything on the bike is on the cards.

Burbler
18-08-17, 08:21 AM
Are the handlebars lined up with the front wheel ? could be twisted forks.

Might also be the back wheel out of line.

Badger-Roy
18-08-17, 01:37 PM
Yeah it all looks straight and the back wheel looks to be in line, in general the bike rides fine, its only if you brake hard or take both hands of the bars. Having now had a good check over the bike this morning there's nothing that jumps out at me as being wonky. Something I did notice though is the age of the tyres, front dated 2004 and the rear 1996. Could this affect it to this extent? Needless to say I'm getting new boots on it soonest.

Burbler
18-08-17, 01:58 PM
Oooooo arrrrrrrr, a 17 year old tyre could be trouble, just like a 17 year old girl.

DC
18-08-17, 02:07 PM
It is possible that old , perished and unevenly or badly worn tyres , especially the front could cause a bit of a wobble on the front end . I had the same problem a year ago and the front tyre was definitely worn and perished .I put a new set of tyres on , but at the same time had the forks off to fit gaiters , fitted new handlebars and fairly hefty bar weights, the problem disappeared but as I'd done a few alterations I couldn't really isolate the real reason it was happening . To be honest I reckon half the issues we get with bikes are down to voodoo !

If you have twin discs on the front it might be worth considering sticky caliper pistons .

Jon_W
18-08-17, 09:09 PM
Headstock loose? Tyres?

Badger-Roy
19-08-17, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas/advice. I'm working on it being binding brakes or the antique tyres. So before I do to much I'm going to replace the tyres and strip the calipers down for a good clean.(bikes done less than a thousand miles since 2006 so they no doubt need it).

Im also fitting an anti voodoo device just in case.
Fingers crossed.

wheelers
19-08-17, 06:22 PM
most has been covered, you have old tyres probably time to change the rear. been sat a while on it may have distorted casing, low mileage for year.
wheel bearings, swing arm linkage bearings, head bearings. don't forget sprocket carrier bearing.
buckled rim or discs. centrifugal forces unbalance; borrow a dial indicator and base.
sticking pads, wheels in line
correct quantity and weight of fork oil, could be fork bushing.. you wont know any of this unless stripped
if all ok, heavier bar weights might help

Trev
20-08-17, 07:19 PM
Im also fitting an anti voodoo device just in case.
Fingers crossed.

Let me know where you get yours from, the last one I tried isn't working 100% on my Enfield

Badger-Roy
23-08-17, 08:16 PM
Well I spent a lovely few hours up to me ear oles in 20 odd year old brake calliper grime today. Out of the 8 pistons on the 2 calipers 5 were seized solid and the other 3 were sticking. Took me almost an hour to remove one of the caliper pins. However patience and brake cleaner won and now iv 8 working pistons and lovely responsive brakes. The shakeing head is 80% better but can't say I trust the bike completely yet. I'm almost certain new tyres will remedy the other 20%.

DC
23-08-17, 08:54 PM
Well I spent a lovely few hours up to me ear oles in 20 odd year old brake calliper grime today. Out of the 8 pistons on the 2 calipers 5 were seized solid and the other 3 were sticking. Took me almost an hour to remove one of the caliper pins. However patience and brake cleaner won and now iv 8 working pistons and lovely responsive brakes. The shakeing head is 80% better but can't say I trust the bike completely yet. I'm almost certain new tyres will remedy the other 20%.

Good news ! :cool: Keep us posted .

Badger-Roy
23-08-17, 09:24 PM
Will do and thanks for the advice and ideas. A drink is owed 👍

DC
23-08-17, 10:01 PM
Will do and thanks for the advice and ideas. A drink is owed 

:cool:

Burbler
23-08-17, 10:06 PM
Magic our Maurice. I had similar removing a 13 year old centre stand, but that was just filth, not seized. Getting the exhaust off was several days.

New boots will. hopefully, sort it now.