PDA

View Full Version : Need quick fix my bike

Arek
30-05-17, 06:13 PM
Hi all.
I have small problem and need some good, solid, and reasonable priced fix my bike.
Ideally really close my town as I don't want to ride too far with it.

Try adjust my chain today and looks like one of the bolts for adjusting was quite weak.
Unfortunately I snapped it, so need it repaired/ replaced.
I did not adjusted chain yes since I bought my bike, and looks like it wasn't done for a while. Looks like parts not move like they should.
Short - they stuck. probably that was the reason that bolt was weak, as I suppose someone before me try to do that and gave up.

Checked and I can buy used pair on E-bay for £20 so parts are not issue, just don't want to break something else.

Any suggestions?

DC
30-05-17, 06:46 PM
Do they look like this .....

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/JPgAAOSwFNZWyu7w/$_1.JPG

Can you slide the axle out and remove the adjusters and get some grips on the remaining part of the thread inside the adjuster ?

Arek
30-05-17, 06:53 PM
Nope. It's inner swingarm part.
33040A from this diagram
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/33040-0012
And I can't slide axle. Can't move it at all :-(
Used rubber mallet trying move it a bit, no luck.
Really I'm afraid use more force as it can end badly for parts and my wallet :D

DC
30-05-17, 07:33 PM
Can you remove the end caps from the swingarm and spray wd40 in there . If the axle nut is loose and the end caps are off , the adjusters " should " move freely and slide out .

WR6133
30-05-17, 07:57 PM
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/adj_zpsgxpyjuum.jpg (http://s1249.photobucket.com/user/wr6133/media/adj_zpsgxpyjuum.jpg.html)

Back Wheel off the ground.

Remove spindle (this entails removing the rear wheel).

Once the spindle is out of the way you will be able to remove the broken adjuster. If not enough sticks out to grip then blast some slippery stuff in there and push it out from the hole the spindle goes through.

Arek
30-05-17, 09:18 PM
Back Wheel off the ground.

Remove spindle (this entails removing the rear wheel).

Once the spindle is out of the way you will be able to remove the broken adjuster. If not enough sticks out to grip then blast some slippery stuff in there and push it out from the hole the spindle goes through.

I really can't move or remove it. Stuck totally, WD40 not working.
I sort of know what I'm doing ;-) And I have tools for it.
This time I gave up as I really don't want to brake more stuff.
Of course can use more force for it, but I'm not keen to do that.

Burbler
30-05-17, 10:25 PM
Undo the main nut completely. Take out the axle. A little heat, a load of WD40 and see how it is tomorrow.

Arek
30-05-17, 10:51 PM
Undo the main nut completely. Take out the axle. A little heat, a load of WD40 and see how it is tomorrow.

I can't take out the axle, it not moving, even when I using mallet or small hammer to knock it out.
If I will be able to do that, my life will be easier probably :-)
Generally that's my main issue I think, as I don't want to damage it, or bearings, or anything around :-(

DC
30-05-17, 11:05 PM
With the axle nut off completely, and a ratchet and socket on the other end of the spindle , will it turn ?

Arek
30-05-17, 11:10 PM
With the axle nut off completely, and a ratchet and socket on the other end of the spindle , will it turn ?

Nope. Even when I'm using meter long brake bar. Totally stand still. Half bottle of WD40 gone. I hit axle from both sides using hammer, still nothing

DC
30-05-17, 11:13 PM
Are you with the bike now ?

Arek
30-05-17, 11:14 PM
No. Gave up for today, need rest before work tomorrow.

WR6133
30-05-17, 11:17 PM
If you can't get the spindle out (to be clear by the spindle I mean the main axle going through the rear wheel) then that itself is an issue. It's either seized on to something or a bearing has collapsed in the wheel or sprocket carrier.

The way I've got seized spindles out before is plusgas, leave a while and then place a block of wood against the end of the spindle before beating it with a 4lb hammer.

Once the spindle is removed that entire chain adjuster block just slides out.

For Clarity

Remove the spindle marked by red arrow
Slide out adjuster marked by yellow arrow

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/wr6133/this_zpsfhumzowe.jpg

DC
30-05-17, 11:18 PM
If the axle runs through a hole in the mounting bracket for the rear caliper , displace the caliper and that might help increase your chances of a bit of freeplay on the axle .

Arek
30-05-17, 11:35 PM
If you can't get the spindle out (to be clear by the spindle I mean the main axle going through the rear wheel) then that itself is an issue. It's either seized on to something or a bearing has collapsed in the wheel or sprocket carrier.

The way I've got seized spindles out before is plusgas, leave a while and then place a block of wood against the end of the spindle before beating it with a 4lb hammer.

Once the spindle is removed that entire chain adjuster block just slides out.

For Clarity

Remove the spindle marked by red arrow
Slide out adjuster marked by yellow arrow

I used something similar to plusgas, don't have that one specific at home.
I don't think so that bearings are collapsed as I don't hear or feel any issues in the rear wheel.
Have to try once more tomorrow with bigger hammer then, however I'm not a big fan using extensive force in the motorcycle parts.

WR6133
30-05-17, 11:50 PM
Have to try once more tomorrow with bigger hammer then, however I'm not a big fan using extensive force in the motorcycle parts.

Use a chunk of wood (held by someone) against the spindle. It'll stop you mushrooming it when you hit it.

Other things that can work are an impact driver on the end in the photo to try and shock it free, or if all else fails a bigger hammer (but really big hammers will require you remove the swingarm from the bike).

Arek
30-05-17, 11:57 PM
Use a chunk of wood (held by someone) against the spindle. It'll stop you mushrooming it when you hit it.

Other things that can work are an impact driver on the end in the photo to try and shock it free, or if all else fails a bigger hammer (but really big hammers will require you remove the swingarm from the bike).

Yeah. I was thinking about impact driver, but I don't have one. And at this moment I'm not sure if I want to spend money to buy one.
As I mentioned, try to move axle using brake bar today, but it not moved even for centimeter.
Buy 4lb hammer will not be a big issue tomorrow (also don't have it, I'm really not big fan of force solutions ;-) ).
Then we will see. Hopefully all penetration fluid I put today inside swingarm where the slider is, and on the axle do some job.

Now I can still ride, when I break something more, I probably can't do that anymore :D

wheelers
31-05-17, 12:19 AM
I really hope not , but sounds like the bane of my life. the spindle is rusted into the bearings!!
sounds like lack of maintainance previously.
put the nut back on the spindle to within 6mm of done up. get a bolster hammer or short handled sledge hammer and hit it square on the nut.
if it is stuck, chances are you will need new bearings anyway. they are only a fiver each.

wheelers
31-05-17, 12:25 AM
impact driver wont work, you are only likely to catch the side of your hand and end up with a 'black mans pinch'.
just make sure bike is safe when working on it as you dont want it falling over.
just checking, will the whole lot move front to back? if the spindle runs through the rear caliper bracket use plenty of lube .
work on it tommorrow, it will only go wrong if you keep trying tonight.

dont forget bar that runs from caliper mount to swing arm, may be holding it in place.

Arek
31-05-17, 12:31 AM
Nothing move, either side. back/ forward or spindle left/ right.
And yes. I agree, looks like that bike had lack of maintenance before I bought it.
Had similar situation with one bolts holding foot pegs. It was very hard to unscrew it.
Probably bike was used in the winter before on salted roads and was washed very occasionally.
So aluminum parts reacted with metal, and this is the result.

WR6133
31-05-17, 08:45 AM
If you can ride it to Tidworth this afternoon or early evening I can help you. Only issue is if I knock the spindle out and you do have a collapsed bearing I wouldn't really recommend putting it back together and riding it home (until you change the bearing).

Arek
31-05-17, 09:10 AM
Thanks a lot WR6133. I don't have yet replacement adjuster, and old even if move will not work anyway as should be.
Parts ordered from ebay just now. Hopefully will be with me this Friday.
Have a plan try today once more with bigger hammer :-) I've checked rear axle and looks like it's very solid piece of steel rod, so if I do not destroy thread, or do mushroom end nothing should happen to it.
More likely will damage bearing instead.
This evening round set 2 :-)

wheelers
31-05-17, 05:51 PM
as I said last night, replace the large nut to within 6mm of arm and hit that, all you will do is flatten the self locking bit on the end so if anything a benefit., hopefully if it moves, back off nut another 6mm and do again, might have to do a third but will be moving by then.

Arek
31-05-17, 06:00 PM
Funny thing. Screwfix in Faringdon do not have hammers :-) At least the size I'm looking for. So operation have to wait till tomorrow, ordered one in Amazon next day delivery (btw, cheaper than Screwfix).

wheelers
31-05-17, 06:21 PM
the worst one I ever had was one where I had to take out the swing arm and put the axle under a 2 ton press, eventually it went.
on the opposite hand, I spent 4 hours with a customer and his Triumph 955, trying to get his eccentric axle cam (acts as a chain adjuster) to move. he tried, we tried. Triumph fabricated ally swing arms and put cast ally cams in with room for air and water to get in , including a run out for water the calcium built up from the water acted as cement. didn't like to charge him 4 hours for a 10 minute job, he did appreciate it . plenty of copperslip on re assembly.

Arek
01-06-17, 05:12 PM
Yeah. I've got hammer. But I can't hit hard enough to move axle. And please believe me I try hit it really hard,.
So back to my first question. Do you know someone who can help me with this issue? Looks like I can't do that myself.
Thanks

wheelers
01-06-17, 06:08 PM
a possibility is to try vibration from an air gun but I presume you have a round head to the spindle with a hole across as opposed to a hexagon?

Arek
01-06-17, 06:32 PM
Nope, it is not rounded. It's actually size 22. Anyway don't have air gun, or other impact tool.
And really don't want to spent money buying one (full air set with home compressor about £250, electric corded £70).
If I know that I'll be working on the bikes more extensively, not only for myself, probably it will be good investment. But at this moment I don't have a plans for that.

WR6133
01-06-17, 08:01 PM
I don't have a rattlegun but the offer stands if you have enough thread on the adjuster to get the nut back on then get it to Tidworth tomorrow afternoon/early evening and I can try to help.

Arek
08-06-17, 08:58 PM
After almost 2 weeks hassle with this problem, today I finished work on my bike.
Spindle finally go out somehow - I mean lot of penetration stuff and hammering.
New chain tension regulators. New bearings in rear wheel. A lot of grease when I assembly all parts back.
Few new tools :-)
Hopefully all will be OK now.

Thanks all you guys for help and advice.

DC
08-06-17, 09:14 PM
Good news :cool:

Burbler
08-06-17, 09:55 PM