PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox repair

Wes
01-05-17, 11:20 AM
Looking for an recommendations for repairs to a gearbox please, local to Bristol if possible, but don't mind a bit of a drive.
cheers wes

Mitch9128
05-05-17, 05:34 PM
Me LOL.

Seriously, i recently dropped the engine in my 929, and repaired mine, it isn't that hard. Failing that, this guy will do repairs if you pallet him the engine, so you have to remove it first http://www.superbikesurgery.co.uk/engine-rebuilding-service/

Wes
07-05-17, 08:53 AM
Hi mate, there seems to be a problem with the selector, which im told the box needs to be removed and split to carry out the repair. I wouldn't be too confident to carry it out myself as im a bit stuck for space, but could borrow a bit of room if needed. That said, I wouldn't mind giving it a go, but would need some guidance :)

Burbler
07-05-17, 05:03 PM
It is my experience that gearboxes, like carburytooters, need to be avoided like the plague. Good luck.

Mitch9128
14-06-17, 09:53 AM
Sorry, haven't been on for a while, Wes what bike is it?

Wes
14-06-17, 09:55 AM
A blade 954, it's at the garage atm so I'm hoping to get it back soon .

Mitch9128
17-06-17, 10:56 AM
A blade 954, it's at the garage atm so I'm hoping to get it back soon .

Oh mate, i just done my 929 which is the same box, with slightly different gears, think 6th is the only same one, and no you don't need to drop the engine to change a fork, just the sump. You can then remove the clutch and basket, and drop the forks through the sump as you pull the bar they sit on. However, if the selector fork is worn, most likely the dogs will be worn on a gear too, which is engine out, and cases split. Really worth fitting the factory pro shift kit afterwards, it will stop this happening again.

Burbler
17-06-17, 01:17 PM
Oh ! my. That sounds tooth-achingly expensive.

Mitch9128
26-06-17, 11:38 AM
Forks around £70 each, gears £85 each, it's the hourly rate that's the killer on gearboxes.

Wes
28-06-17, 08:56 PM
Thanks Mitch, got it sorted out hopefully! you are spot on regarding the forks, I managed to take off the exhaust and sump to cut down on the labour time. All back together now and I have a track day booked next month so will see how it goes.

Wes
19-11-17, 04:39 PM
Just an update, got to a two dayer at Snetterton, and it was apparent very quickly that the problem hadn't been solved. Spent the next two days with limited track time, only having three gears is a distinct disadvantage, tho that said, I still managed to get by another rider :). Took the bike in and bit the bullet with a complete replacement of all the gears. Ready just in time for the main event, a three dayer at Portimau circuit Portugal. Day 1 done, and all seemed to be going ok, got one session in on day 2, and a spark plug blew out, the threads had gone on the head, and it was impossible to get anything to stay in with the compression. A bit disappointed to say the least, but it was 30 degrees at the end of September, so it wasn't all bad.
Got the bike back to the UK, and one of the Guys in the paddock said he would help me out to get it repaired. True to his word, hes done a fantastic job getting it sorted, :) so well looking forward to getting in a few days next year :)

BB
19-11-17, 04:46 PM
Good to hear you are getting it sorted :)

Wes
19-11-17, 04:49 PM
Thanks, its definitely been a test of character, but hopefully all good now :)

Last Train
19-11-17, 05:45 PM
:cool:

Mitch9128
20-11-17, 09:15 AM
Urgh, the other bstrd on these bikes, the spark plug thread isn't deep enough, mines been helicoiled too. I have a spare head, just in case it goes again.

Wes
20-11-17, 07:29 PM
Good call mate, just hope I don't need one!

Mitch9128
22-11-17, 06:25 AM
If a cheap one comes up on Ebay (set an alert) snap it up, it’s what i did, almost have a spare complete engine With RR/stator/clutch/cases/covers etc LOL