PDA

View Full Version : Insurance renewal.

Toph
23-01-17, 07:09 PM
My bike insurance runs out shortly.
I'm currently insured with MCE, but recently heard some horror stories about them.
Any recommendations for insurance companies?

Mitch9128
24-01-17, 07:33 AM
Heard some horror stories about MCE? Ha, Toph, you can Google horror stories about MCE, they are THAT bad. First i would go to one of the comparison sites, and run a search, Gocompare&moneysupermarket, then i would ring H&R http://www.hrinsurance.co.uk/ who are not on these sites, but will be able to see the results from them on their database, and will try and match the best. H&R are based in the UK, call centre in the UK, and are probably the best insurers to deal with of all.

Robf
24-01-17, 09:37 AM
just decided to have a quick look at how much a quote would be for my bike, a CBR 600 F 2001, and apparently even with 7 years no claims they want "£10050.99" Ouch! needless to say i could purchase my bike 4 times for that, not sure that they would be able to match my current insurance at around £180 fully comp. maybe the price hike is due to my age but that still wouldn't tie up.

I've been with MCE for the past 5 years, and i haven't had any trouble with them, my claim that i had in 2012 was dealt with fairly well by them, not that i have had to claim through other insurers as i don't make a habit of accidents happening.

I would still try comparison sites, and possibly look at other insurers that don't appear on the sites, or even look at visiting your local Brokers, as they may be able to find/offer you a better deal.

Burbler
24-01-17, 10:39 AM
I've had to change every year as price gets a rediculous hike at renewal.

These companies are not there to look after you, they are there to make money. Also, they are NOT insurers. Several layers down the line there are only very few actual insurers which underwrite all the others in the pyramid.
Also there is no reward for loyalty any more. Get on a comparison site and take your pick. Praise and horror stories about them all.

Dabz
24-01-17, 02:15 PM
I always find Bennetts are great, though MCE gave me far better pricing on the daytona

Toph
24-01-17, 08:12 PM
I'm a bit wary of Bennetts.. a few years back, after insuring with them, and giving my card details to them over the phone..the only time I had ever paid for anything by card over the phone...within 2 days, My card was hit with 3 times by someone buying online groceries from Sainsburys in Bolton.
good job Sue regularly checks bank statements, cancelled the card immediately.
The bank reimbursed the £380 I had lost.

Jed
24-01-17, 08:29 PM
I have been with Carole Nash for some years, insuring two bikes with them. I've just had my renewal due next month for £219, which is a £6 increase on last year. Also includes UK and European breakdown cover and legal cover. So I reckon it sounds like a good deal and I won't be wasting my time shopping around.

Grey haired bloke
25-01-17, 09:28 AM
Another good word for Carole Nash here as well, after 7 or more years with Bennetts for no apparent reason they hiked my premiums up by nearly £100 as well as charging a handling fee of £6 up to £20 with no explanation even though I stayed with the same insurance company, when I spoke to them the reply was the handling fee charges were company policy and the price rise of nearly £100 was to reflect the current market prices, I informed them there and then that under no circumstances was I going to re-insure with them and that I can also re-act to market forces and my business with them was now terminated. I called Carole Nash who offered a very good deal and so that remained for a second year with them, no increase and still cheaper than Bennetts last quote that I walked away from, as Jed has said Carole Nash insurance also includes UK and European breakdown cover and legal cover, which was handy to have as I spent two weeks touring Southern Ireland last year and aim to return again this year.

BB
25-01-17, 06:46 PM
I've stuck with Carole Nash for years. Do me a good price and very helpful if needed

BugsyB
25-01-17, 08:50 PM
I was with AA last year. They hiked the price for my 1/2/17 renewal and I found Bennetts the best value this time. Have been with them before. What really pee'd me off was the AA guy cheerily offering to match the new offer. I declined, asking why he hadn't given me his best price in the first place and wasted an hour of my time on-line, doing the AA's Market Research. Bennetts were about 15% cheaper than the AA, on like for like cover.

mikeapm
25-01-17, 09:03 PM
I moved from MCE last year. When my renewal came up I called to get a renewal price which took ages on the phone and as the price had gone up quite a bit i said I would need to get back to them at which point the very helpful agent said he couldn't keep my quote and if I called back I would have to go through all the same questions again. I think he was possibly talking nonsense and moved to Bennetts.

Toph
25-01-17, 09:10 PM
Just phoned Carol Nash.. quoted £234 for fully comp protected.
Bennetts quoted £88
MCE £94.

Carol Nash seems a bit pricey.

Toph
25-01-17, 09:15 PM
Mitch..... tried H&R... looked at their website and to get a quote, your bike must have no modifications... my bike has an after market can.. does this count as a mod??

Burbler
25-01-17, 09:27 PM
Mitch..... tried H&R... looked at their website and to get a quote, your bike must have no modifications... my bike has an after market can.. does this count as a mod??

ANYTHING does...any excuse not to pay out / void.

Next year, CN may be the cheapest. It's a minefield. Brokers aim at certain groups. Female, young, old, multi-bike. fast bike etc. and offer better terms. Just grab the cheapest that cover your needs and be prepared to change next year.

Mitch9128
26-01-17, 11:10 AM

Call them mate, i doubt it, most decent companies ignore cans, though some will use any wriggle out clause, i doubt H&R would.

Toph
26-01-17, 06:25 PM
Thanks Mitch.. I'll give 'em a ring..:)

wiltshire builders
27-01-17, 07:11 PM
Just phoned Carol Nash.. quoted £234 for fully comp protected.
Bennetts quoted £88
MCE £94.

Carol Nash seems a bit pricey.
Carole Nash give you European cover, helmet and leathers, legal and I'm pretty sure you get recovery too.
Do a like for like and they'll be closer than you think.

Dabz
27-01-17, 08:41 PM
Bennetts were £116 fully comp with helmet/leathers cover, breakdown, legal and personal accident all included for me this year. Really good deal