PDA

View Full Version : Old School Motorcycling..worth a watch....

Toph
22-11-16, 05:52 PM
https://www.facebook.com/MotorcyclepediaMuseum/videos/1217468201650119/

DC
22-11-16, 09:13 PM
Nice one Toph :cool:

shiftyblake
22-11-16, 09:40 PM
Lovely video, it reminds me of the smell of the sand used in the casting and the hot metal. I remember casting stuff at school in metal work. I wonder if the kids do that now and if they have a forge like we had?

Mitch9128
23-11-16, 07:48 AM
Lovely video, it reminds me of the smell of the sand used in the casting and the hot metal. I remember casting stuff at school in metal work. I wonder if the kids do that now and if they have a forge like we had?

Jesus, we didn't do it in the 80's, definitely don't do it nowadays!

shiftyblake
23-11-16, 08:30 PM
In 1985 we had a forge in our metal work room and we also learned to cast, also enjoyed the copper planishing .. made my mum an ace ash tray! We had a couple of anvils too. I remember we also made fireside pokers on the anvils and forge

Mitch9128
24-11-16, 10:15 AM
In 1985 we had a forge in our metal work room and we also learned to cast, also enjoyed the copper planishing .. made my mum an ace ash tray! We had a couple of anvils too. I remember we also made fireside pokers on the anvils and forge

Ah i was from a poor Northern town, all i can recall making in metalwork was throwing stars :(

Burbler
24-11-16, 01:03 PM
We had to do wood / metalwork for the first year only. My tray wasn't rectangular and fell apart. My fish slice was not much better. Hated it all.

Toph
24-11-16, 07:32 PM
I did metalwork at school..found my love of working with metal.
I've been a welder/fabricator for 38 years now.. still love it.

shiftyblake
24-11-16, 09:49 PM
I did metalwork at school..found my love of working with metal.
I've been a welder/fabricator for 38 years now.. still love it.
A good craft. I would like to learn to use a forge now and make some steel work, would be handy if I learned to weld too!

wheelers
25-11-16, 06:00 PM
1973/4 I opted for Building CSE got a grade 1 :), all Ive done since is a concrete path and electrical wiring.
1975 started apprenticeship at Westinghouse, been there in its various guises ever since.
Today we have a hard job to get anything done on the bikes, back 20 years ago, we could call in the foundry and get cases and barrels cast then do all the machining, made cast footrests for tzr's and billet ones for CBR's , a lot of demand as we had a couple of racers with us. we could cast, machine, paint, plate, weld, fabricate, wire etc.. the best basic training for car or bike users.
when I started the unit in 2008 I bought a big enough lathe to do fork tubes, and a cnc milling machine to do fancy custom parts. since moving had to sell, now I could do with it again.
nowadays, school leavers don't get the chance to learn anything beneficial apart from how to use a keyboard.

House
29-11-16, 04:24 PM
I love old videos like that. Even though I'm grateful for the technology available these days I always think I was born too late. That's the generation that never wasted anything and made the most out of everything. Never used to understand it when I was younger but I cant walk past a skip/scrap bin now without having a dig.

Vulcanboy
01-12-16, 12:11 PM
I recall visiting the Howard Rotovator foundry in Suffolk. It was amazing to see the gear boxes and stuff being cast. Sadly, the sited closed down a month or so later, a sad day. Bring back proper engineering to the UK !!! :cool: Richard