PDA

View Full Version : Gopro Hero 5 vs Drift Ghost 4K

Aidbox
17-11-16, 08:06 AM
Deleted

Robf
17-11-16, 09:20 AM
Hi AidBox,

I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black, and have been using a camera since i had my accident back in sept 2012.

The GoPro is good, but the standard battery only lasts for about 3 hours maximum, so if you were riding for longer than that you would need to carry spares or buy the bacpac addon in order to record for longer.

I tend to record at 1080p and 30 frames per second, and i have a 64 GB memory card, which will hold about 3 hours of footage as well before i need to clear that down.

The quality is really good, but you just have to bear in mind the above. There is an option to loop record the footage, but that isn't something i've really used it for.

Depending on your bike as well it can be awkward to find the right mount if your looking to mount it to the bike. I use it on my helmet, but only because i ride a sportsbike and the mounts aren't very useful, although you can get yoke mounts for them, and mirror mounts.

I don't have any experience of the Drift 4K but the waterproof mount on the GoPro is well waterproof, and offers good protection for the camera from everything.

Thanks,

Rob

Mitch9128
17-11-16, 09:44 AM
I have a Veho muvi HD, and an Ion air pro. The Ion i can fit to the helmet, and it's fairly unobtrusive;

https://s21.postimg.org/urzg3t2oz/helmut.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/urzg3t2oz/)

The Veho i only tend to use as a body cam, or mounted on the bike, as it's square and obvious, like the GoPro. This neither tells you anything, about the cams you are looking at, just imo on bullet cams vs square gopro alikes.

Aidbox
17-11-16, 10:45 AM
I have a Veho muvi HD, and an Ion air pro. The Ion i can fit to the helmet, and it's fairly unobtrusive;

https://s21.postimg.org/urzg3t2oz/helmut.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/urzg3t2oz/)

The Veho i only tend to use as a body cam, or mounted on the bike, as it's square and obvious, like the GoPro. This neither tells you anything, about the cams you are looking at, just imo on bullet cams vs square gopro alikes.

All info is helpful. I think it's just that I see the Gopro and Drift in all the shops so they'd been the only two I'd really looked at. The size and shape of the Gopro does put me off a bit. I do like that it does time lapse as well though.

Aidbox
17-11-16, 10:52 AM
Hi AidBox,

I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black, and have been using a camera since i had my accident back in sept 2012.

The GoPro is good, but the standard battery only lasts for about 3 hours maximum, so if you were riding for longer than that you would need to carry spares or buy the bacpac addon in order to record for longer.

I tend to record at 1080p and 30 frames per second, and i have a 64 GB memory card, which will hold about 3 hours of footage as well before i need to clear that down.

The quality is really good, but you just have to bear in mind the above. There is an option to loop record the footage, but that isn't something i've really used it for.

Depending on your bike as well it can be awkward to find the right mount if your looking to mount it to the bike. I use it on my helmet, but only because i ride a sportsbike and the mounts aren't very useful, although you can get yoke mounts for them, and mirror mounts.

I don't have any experience of the Drift 4K but the waterproof mount on the GoPro is well waterproof, and offers good protection for the camera from everything.

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks Rob. The quality of the footage on the Gopro seems really good and the Hero 5 is waterproof without the additional case. I need a good camera to use on and off the bike to justify that kind of spend.

I've always been a bit worried about putting anything on a helmet but I suppose if you come off they would probably be one of the first things to disappear.

Has made me a bit more wary getting hit last week, and also from an insurance perspective.

Mitch9128
17-11-16, 10:56 AM
There are dozens of other cameras out there, i like the Ion for the waterproof housing, no other case needed, built in wifi, app for phone, full HD and cheap at £99. I wouldn't limit yourself to those two, also sound is pointless at speed on any cam, unless you mount it in the waterproof housing, then it is totally muted anyway. Unless you want it for v logging, then put a mic in the helmet. The mounting pads are 3m that come with most cams, no chance of them coming off anything. Also whilst these cams are great for insurance etc, they can work the other way if the filth pull you though :)

WR6133
17-11-16, 11:17 AM
I used an SJCam SJ4000 for a while. More than good enough at 1080p. Just replaced it with an SJCam M10 which is the same thing in a much smaller housing. Either can be had for around £50 or about a tenner more for wifi versions.

Unless you are really in to making videos there is little point spending big on a 4k gopro.

Mitch9128
17-11-16, 12:48 PM
I used an SJCam SJ4000 for a while. More than good enough at 1080p. Just replaced it with an SJCam M10 which is the same thing in a much smaller housing. Either can be had for around £50 or about a tenner more for wifi versions.

Unless you are really in to making videos there is little point spending big on a 4k gopro.

That too, the SJ is one of the highest reviewed gopro chinese copies, however make sure you buy from a reputable seller like gearbest or banggood , as there are even chinese copies of the sj now!

Aidbox
17-11-16, 07:23 PM
Deleted

Aidbox
18-11-16, 03:02 PM
Deleted

Mitch9128
18-11-16, 05:16 PM
I've got the Ion Air wifi lite, pretty much same thing, picked it up in Staples for £50 a few years back. With the 3 you get external mic and 12mp stills, prolly some other stuff too. You can pick up the pro3 for £99 in currys currently, which is a bargain i think. I have mounted mine on the helmet, 3m pad is 100% secure, it is more discrete than the pic above actually, and you do not notice any weight. I can mount my iphone on the bars, and see what the camera sees, if i want, obvs this drains battery of cam faster as wifi is on. BTW new lens are £12 from ION, just in case you scratch one on there. Mounts, you have to shop around, they are better than other makes i've seen, but specific to ION cams only, if you look around you can get loads for not much £££, and all are quick release, which is nice.

shiftyblake
19-11-16, 09:36 AM
I opted for drift ghost s and prefer it to my mates go pros.
It's waterproof without needing a fiddly case.
It has a rotating lens so where ever you mount it can have the picture at the right angle.
The battery lasts 2x go pro.
It's a great shape and is unobtrusive.
It's simple to use with gloves on.
I only shoot in 1080 30fs so not bothered about 4K.
It takes a 64gb card enough for a 10 hours.

Mitch9128
30-11-16, 09:11 AM
Sainsburys in Cepen Pk south, have some Kitvision cameras for £50&£70 which is massively reduced, even the submersible 360 degree one, very tempted.