PDA

View Full Version : Crashed on brand new tyres

shiftyblake
24-10-16, 07:41 AM
After 30 years I had my first crash. Take it very steady on brand new tyres.
1 mile out first roundabout 10 miles an hour max at a roundabout leaning left to right the front just slipped out.
New tyres 1 mile old
Cold tires
Cold morning
Slightly greasy

A4 roundabout Calne bypass

duggers
24-10-16, 09:44 AM
I live in Calne, and I know that roundabout, the road surface isn't great. Did you damage yourself or the bike?

Mitch9128
24-10-16, 10:05 AM
****ter, at least you're ok. Cold greasy roads, brand new tyres, it's almost inevitable, i highsided on the Chippenham Bridge roundabout a few years ago on a cold November morning, trying to beat the traffic, and cut in front, no-one stopped to help and i felt a right tit.

Nelly
24-10-16, 10:21 AM
Sorry to hear that bud :(

wheelers
24-10-16, 12:20 PM
I always reccomend 100 miles running in before serious use, gets rid of the mould release agent left on the tyres from manufacture. Avon used to issue stickers with it written on.

Aidbox
24-10-16, 03:56 PM
Sorry to hear that mate, hope you and the bike are ok.

I just fitted a new pair of Pirelli Angels and they quite different to the Supermaxx I've just taken off, albeit the Maxxis were bare.

BB
24-10-16, 06:55 PM
Ouch, you you & the bike are ok? :(

shiftyblake
25-10-16, 10:20 PM
Yes I'm fine, it was just really unexpected as I thought I was riding gingerly. But the movement from right to left lean unsettled it. Bike has usual damage all parts come to £500. Luckily it had crash bars so no body damage just usual pegs, levers and hand guards. It dumped me on the tarmac, tiny bruise on hip.. that's the lot.
Off to Wales on it Friday so will get my sander out on the tyre and warm it up with a heater first !! The tyre looked as shiny as a mirror.

500tie
26-10-16, 05:06 PM
I've lost the back end of mine on that roundabout before must have a crappy surface.. Glad you're ok though bud

wiltshire builders
27-10-16, 09:27 PM
Bloody hell!
Could've been diesel. A lot of lorries use that road.
Glad you're ok.
I spun the back wheel on a peage this summer rolling on at around 80 mph. Scared the poop out of me!

shiftyblake
27-10-16, 10:13 PM
Thats a proper brown trouser moment @wiltshire builders! But I wire-wheeled the tyres and took it for a 35 mile spin. Still cr@pped my grundigs leaning over. Just off to Wales for 3 days on it so I am sure i will get my mojo back! Not that im paronoid but I have a heater ready to running next to the front tyre for an hour before I leave this morning !

wiltshire builders
27-10-16, 10:40 PM
Not that im paronoid but I have a heater ready to running next to the front tyre for an hour before I leave this morning !

Be careful. I doubt you'll be able to push hard enough to keep that heat in the tires.
Have a good trip.