PDA

View Full Version : Brexit will it affect biking?

wheelers
07-07-16, 06:08 PM
looks like its starting to affect prices.
just received the latest from our suppliers.

Continental up 4% from 1st August but not applying to original Conti SportAttack or ContiScooter
Metzeler/Pirelli up 4.5% from 1st August

there are a few offers around, mainly if ordering a couple of pairs at a time.

there are a few who will say its not a lot but we all know every little helps. and who else is next.

Dabz
08-07-16, 08:10 AM
Wait until fuel increases too, that'll really start to make people notice

BB
08-07-16, 08:30 AM
Good job my old AJS does about 50 or more to the gallon :cool:

Dabz
08-07-16, 09:28 AM
My street triple does too! (cue comments about not riding it properly..)

Nelly
08-07-16, 11:46 AM
I tend to think that there will be a few price rises...everywhere. But the cynic in me says that a lot of those rises will be unforced. Then blamed on "brexit" so that the unscrupulous has someone to blame it on. Greed is an evil thing...

Mitch9128
08-07-16, 12:38 PM
I tend to think that there will be a few price rises...everywhere. But the cynic in me says that a lot of those rises will be unforced. Then blamed on "brexit" so that the unscrupulous has someone to blame it on. Greed is an evil thing...

Already seeing it, oil is crashing in price, petrol at the pump going north.

Trev
11-07-16, 02:37 PM
I've bought a couple of pairs ready for when I need them in a few months as the prices are only going one way and I'd be buying them anyway.

Not specifically biking related (unless you're relying on your wages to run a bike) but we've already had material price increases of 3-5%, depending on supplier, based on currency change and they have now instigated monthly adjustments rather than quarterly. We have also had our first customer pull the plug on a range launch due to uncertainty around their market, not huge but a bit less profit towards investment, wages and taxes.

Thank God we've all those skilled and experienced politicians from the out campaign to lead us through the downturn we voted for. Can't get hold of them at the moment, probably on holiday after all their hard work, I'm sure they'll be back soon, no way the likes of Mr Farage would just bugger off and leave us to get on with it ...... is there?

Dabz
11-07-16, 03:15 PM
Not bike related but we buy a lot of services in dollars and we're being hit hard by the dollar rate crashing, plus the rise in fuel costs. Those who say we won't see immediate changes need to look at my profit and loss account compared to pre-referendum!

Mitch9128
11-07-16, 06:15 PM
Totally not bike related, but i'm in Washington DC this week, and a pint of Guinness is over £5 in the British pub :(

Trev
12-07-16, 08:57 AM
Totally not bike related, but i'm in Washington DC this week, and a pint of Guinness is over £5 in the British pub :(

Out campaign definitely didn't highlight that happening, my advice is to get as many in as you can before sterling takes another dip ; )

WR6133
12-07-16, 08:55 PM
Not bike related but having just got back from China irritated at the drop in the £ meaning my money didn't go as far.

Trev
12-07-16, 09:15 PM
Not bike related but having just got back from China irritated at the drop in the £ meaning my money didn't go as far.

Welcome back and yup we've voted for all of us to be at least a little bit worse off and some a hell of lot worse off over the coming months

BifferGaz
13-07-16, 08:16 AM
I can trump that...a pint of lager in Singapore airport £10!

Mitch9128
13-07-16, 11:59 AM
I can trump that...a pint of lager in Singapore airport £10!

Yebbut thats normal for Singapore, it was £8 in the Orchard hotel, £15 for a Singapore sling in Raffles, that they just poured premixed out of a jug!

Scotty
13-07-16, 04:20 PM
Wait until fuel increases too, that'll really start to make people notice
Seeing as pump prices have crept up almost 10p/litre since the new year and the price of oil hasn't risen at all, I'm surprised that the oil companies haven't yet seized upon the chance to hike pump prices up already, given that we buy oil in $ and thanks to Farridge and his Empire fantasists the £ is at its lowest level against the $ for over thirty years. Just watch, the moment that it's announced on the news that the price of oil in real terms has risen and those thieving bastids will have the forecourt prices bumped up within minutes. They've probably already written the email to send to all filling stations, just waiting to hit "send".

Vulcanboy
28-08-16, 05:58 PM
Just back from France, where diesel is about 90p a litre ..... and have noticed higher pump prices ..... why?