PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning my jacket

tomearp
22-05-16, 05:50 PM
I foolishly purchased a mostly light-grey textile biking jacket. Over time it has collected a good coating of traffic film and insects and when comparing the front with the back the difference is quite silly.

Any tips on what I can try and clean it with? Strongest thing I could find under the sink was cillit bang "grease and sparkle turbo foam" and that didn't touch it even slightly!
I've got some muc-off in the garage, might try that next lol.

hedgehog
22-05-16, 06:06 PM
You might have to resort to using Vanish and then once it is clean give it a wash in some Nikwax Tech wash to make it weather proof (ish) again. Muc off might work too....

BifferGaz
22-05-16, 06:23 PM
I say ditch the textile (and the cost of cleaning products) and buy leather and a sponge...much easier

Vulcanboy
22-05-16, 07:12 PM
Let me know when you find a way to clean your 'textile' jacket .....

BB
23-05-16, 07:08 PM
Nikwax produce a cleaner which you use in the washing machine and then use their reproof stuff. Used both in the passed successfully on dark colours. No idea how good it would be on light colours though

Vulcanboy
24-05-16, 08:30 PM
Cheers BB ... ;) Richard

DazWad76
24-05-16, 08:55 PM
If you don't mind me putting my tuppence worth in, I have been reviving my H&G Goretex with the NikWax for years, I swear by it. Use the tek-wash first then the wash in stuff.

tomearp
25-05-16, 01:00 PM
Cheers for the suggestions :)

Jed
26-05-16, 02:42 PM
If you don't mind me putting my tuppence worth in, I have been reviving my H&G Goretex with the NikWax for years, I swear by it. Use the tek-wash first then the wash in stuff.

I do the same my 8 year old HG goretex jacket is getting to fade a bit and look a bit discoloured, but given what its been through I think that's pretty reasonable signs of wear.