PDA

View Full Version : new biker

Chris Lucas
11-01-16, 06:52 PM
Hello all about to do mod 2 if i pass lol any suggestions as what bike to get. thanks

WR6133
11-01-16, 07:14 PM
Kawasaki Ninja H2R

Welcome and good luck with the Mod 2

shiftyblake
11-01-16, 07:33 PM
Thats a big question! Buy one you like the look of and you can afford including the insurance. The one you feel most comfortable on...... then you will be like the rest of us.... always looking out for the next bike. If I had to prefer a manufacturer I would say Honda as in general the build quality is better. (I own a Kwak).

Chris Lucas
11-01-16, 08:05 PM
Thanks i like the zx6r 636 but not sure as have my eye on a cbr600rr

BB
11-01-16, 08:20 PM
Hi and welcome. What bike? Just as Shiftyblake advises, whatever you like and can afford to buy and run. :)

Dabz
11-01-16, 08:32 PM
welcome :)

Trev
11-01-16, 08:48 PM
Hi and welcome.

Unless you've had a bit of riding experience (and just cos you've not done your test yet doesn't mean you haven't years of off road or track riding so I won't assume) I would suggest something you can use a fair amount of the performance on a fair amount of the time so you get a feel for using full throttle, a decent grab on brakes, etc.
I know others may disagree, and guess I'm biased as this is how I learnt 'back in the day', but riding a 250 flat out taught me a lot about bike control before I did too much damage. Of course these days advanced training can replace a fair amount of learning by the seat of your pants although not all of it.

Of course this is nothing to do with knowing where there's s nice Yamaha MT03 for sale complete with Leo Vince cans and a new chain ; )

Chris Lucas
11-01-16, 09:45 PM
Ive been riding aprilia rs 125's on of since i was 17.i have ridden a zxr 750 off road and that was rapid .ideally i quite like gsxr 600 k1 i sat on one at a dealers .they said it suited me.any one have opinions on gsxr 600 k1 what to look out for etc.thanks

BB
11-01-16, 10:09 PM
Ive been riding aprilia rs 125's on of since i was 17.i have ridden a zxr 750 off road and that was rapid .ideally i quite like gsxr 600 k1 i sat on one at a dealers .they said it suited me.any one have opinions on gsxr 600 k1 what to look out for etc.thanks

They would do, they are selling after all! :p

Chris Lucas
11-01-16, 10:17 PM
True thought they were trying to force a sale lol .i said ill think about it

Aidbox
11-01-16, 10:27 PM
Welcome to Wiltshire Bikers Chris. Good luck with your Mod 2.

You'll get plenty of advice and opinions on here, or do what Trev does, get one of each ;)

I got my Versys 650 because it ticked all the boxes for what I wanted at that time.
Solid, reliable bike with an upright riding position, good luggage and reasonable price, but still relatively quick (for me). So I guess it depends what your criteria are.

Be interested to find out what you end up getting.

Wes
12-01-16, 06:19 AM
Hi and welcome to WB

Gerry
12-01-16, 11:32 AM
Hi and Welcome,
I think this is a fairly unusual question (which bike) as I recon most people have a very good idea what type, if not what exact models they like before they pass their test.
All the bikes you have mentioned have been sports bikes, so I guess like me, you lean towards something sleek & sexy rather than sensible and comfy (good choice) ;-)
What Sports Bike, is still a difficult question and depends (mainly) on your budget, I personally would recommend a 600 class bike and not bigger, as a first big bike, as they are all still well quick enough to get into trouble with little experience.
As I started (very) late I wanted safety over speed and bought a Suzuki SV650, it looked good to me but had modest power, I've had a few GSXR's since and loved all my Suzuki's.

My personal opinion is that the GSXR is the most "comfy" of the quick Jap sports bikes (over the CBR600RR / R6 / ZR600) but this does change with the year they were made.

In short, nobody can really help you choose as it's such a personal / emotional choice, although everybody will have their favourites.
To me, buying bikes isn't like buying a van, you buy with your heart rather than your head.
Try as many as you can and have fun shopping.
Cheers

Trev
12-01-16, 07:05 PM

If you're an Aprillia rs rider then not much chance of me selling you my MT03, oh well, worth a try ; )

I'm a Suzuki rider since my first moped and 250's and although I've had other bikes the big red S still does it for me. I actually have a GSXR K1 (the thou) and love that styling. I'm with Gerry though on not necessarily going for the biggest fastest, I had a GSXR750Y (pretty much the as K1) for a few years and loved it, suited me well, plenty quick enough for me and I could explore most of the power some of the time and still feel in control. However, as a GSXR1100K owner, I've wanted the 1000 for a long time and when a nice one came up couldn't resist, kept the 750 for a while but couldn't justify both so sold it last Spring and kept the 1000. A bit better bike in every way (brakes, suspension, etc) apart from the motor which is quite a bit more powerful. For me though it's too much, the motor dominates and whereas I was okay yanking the throttles open at 80/90 on the 750, the thou is another kettle of fish. Says more about my ability and size of b***s but as a 'mature' rider I've probably got the wrong bike as I wanted bigger/faster. Still, it's better for bar room bragging rights though ; )

My advice; take your time choosing, enjoy the process and remember, unless you want something rare and exotic there's always another bike so you don't have to take the first you see - that's definitely a 'do as I say not as I do' statement BTW : (

Chris Lucas
12-01-16, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the help and advice guys .will let you know what i get eventually .also how often do you guys meet up.as many of my freinds are not into bikes.so i dont have no one to ride with 😔

Wes
13-01-16, 07:10 AM
It's worth checking the meets and ride out section. There will be a list going up fairly soon of the monthly ride outs, trips etc :)

Jed
25-01-16, 10:41 PM
Hello and welcome to the group

Republic
29-01-16, 08:59 AM
Hello and Welcome

wasted_ace
20-02-16, 03:13 PM
Welcome..